The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Nice to see you all had a great time. Unfortunately, I bent my Atom last week on its second flight. I seemed to be getting the hang of it then it all went horribly wrong. After a lot of head scratching, I think I know what happened. Haven't had time to carry out the repairs and am away at the moment so doubt I will make the 3rd.

Advert

Another lunchtime well spent smiley

I haven't glued the tail plane yet as I may cover it first .. and I can't do too much without my lad being involved .. hopefully the parts ready now will make it fun for him as he sees it take real shape .. will see how much time I get over the weekend...only 8 days to the trimming session surprise .. best get a move on!

first glue

Edited By Mark Stringer on 24/04/2015 13:52:18

Sorry about the poor quality of the video, but all my flying mates had gone home and I had to rely on a static camera set-up.

This was the second flight of the day, the fourth in total. The first of the day ended in the adjacent field, with full forward cyclic (?) being held to prevent soaring. A bit more trimming is required, both for the Atom and the guy at the flightline.

Happy gyrating !

George

http://youtu.be/obB0LTx1j40

Edited By George Elliott on 25/04/2015 19:08:24

Rich,

Nice to see your video of the Trimming Day. I would love to have been there to get a closer view of all the various 'takes' on your design and have a chat with the builders. However, the forum does a great job in beaming all the news across to this side of the Irish Sea.

Thanks to all.

George

Posted by Terry Whiting 1 on 26/04/2015 20:43:59:

Phil

I thought your Atom looked great and your flying was top notch. I know you thanked those that done the trimming, but at the end of the day it was you on the sticks yes well done mate.

Terry

not entirely mate some of it was me some was Richard ((mode 2) Rich Harris will know his real surname lol) but thanks I did feel I'd made a huge leap forward that day and can't wait for this down turn in weather to reverse so I can put those lessons to good use

Progress .. busy weekend and lunchtime ... left to do is:

Covering, painting, tail fixing (it will be removable), boom plates and screws, skid/tail wheel, motor to fix, radio to install and pushrods, cockpit (it can have a fully enclosed one due to my servo location), canopy, cowl, pilot, wheel collets, head plate (or 2 if I get time) and blades (3 blade and 2 blade if I get time) .... no problem!

all servos

sanded 1

sanded 3

Posted by Mark Stringer on 28/04/2015 14:03:53:

Just a quick question .. to those that have / haven't added a tail wheel do you feel it helped / wasn't needed?

Just wondering whether to go with the skid especially as I have enlarged the rudders, or add a tail wheel ..

Thanks .. is it really just 5 days to the next session?! surprise

The tail wheel only helps when the need to taxi back occurs makes little difference on take of

I am doing my best but not sure I will have it done for Sunday. ..i will do a tail wheel later if i feel it is needed
Did some painting at lunch time. .hope it is dry for covering this evening.
Radio and motor should be easy enough but the cockpit, canopy and rotors is where i will struggle to meet the deadline
I will probably come on Sunday anyway as my lad is looking forward to seeing all of the atoms

It may fly without a canopy but after all this work I want it to look right smiley

and I hope that eventually I will have lots of blades to share between my models. ..just not yet laugh ...Spyro3 or Little Nellie next yes

If I don't get as far as the canopy then the offer would be great ...thanks ...was going to do the plug tonight but a spider in my daughters room put pay to that angry

If I get further behind then I will just get the blades done so that I can fly. . fingers crossed for the weather

A huge thanks to Rich and all at the session today .. great to put faces to names smiley

Great to see my 10 day Atom fly ... i have to say i feel pretty chuffed that i managed to make blades and everything and it all actually worked!!

Will be back to fly her myself when the wind calms down. . Can't wait

Rich .. you are good to use the photo with Matthew .. just on the forums though please. . no face book or the like

Thanks again ... one happy Atom owner

Nice flying George thumbs up

Mark,
Nice to meet yourself and young Matthew, a budding modeller in the makingsmile
Considering you started your Atom just 10 days ago and have never made blades before, you should give yourself a pat on the back!
Despite the windy conditions today your maiden went well, here are a few photos.
img_5226.jpg
img_5229.jpg
img_5227.jpg
So that is the trimming afternoons done and dusted, I would like to thank all who have given up their own time to help myself and others out, I wouldnt have been able to do it on my own. I hope it has helped those who were a bit unsure?
I will add a few more photos of Atoms to my blog, last count is that 45 have been built with a a few more being constructed.
See you at Greenacres!
Rich