The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Many thanks to Richard & the guys and everybody else there today. Worth the drive down & really enjoyed it.

I picked up loads of advice & tips even whilst just listening to other peoples conversations, even managed to pick up a few thermals with the Kunai glider! laugh

Would love to pop down again for the next trimming day!

It's OK Terry, as I said in the earlier post it's sharper than it looks in the photo - the blade tip has been knocked about with several crashes. My comment above was because I think you made a typo - 0.04mm is about 1 and a half tenths of a thou - I think you meant 0.4mm. I have 0.4, 0.8 and 1mm fg sheet but as no-one on here appears to have used more than the 0.8 I already have fitted, I was reluctant to add more. I'll add another 0.4 (making 1.2) and see what happens. Really should have made the effort to get over to the trimming day!

Mine is Done Yepee ,

atomtop.jpg

atomrear.jpg

Sorry the pictures are not so good by the time i get home the light has all but faded , and this one is too big to put up in my loft/Work space , so poor lighting

atompin.jpg

atompinout.jpg

I have used 11 magnets on this model ,

six to hold the cockpit in place and four to hold the wing in place .

And as i would probably break the mast i have secured it with a pin that slides through the body and mast and is secured by yet another magnet.

Steve

I hope to get up to the next day on 3rd .. a little more building to do yet but I work fast sometimes wink

So I have my kit of parts .. spot the differences from the plan ... all will become clear once it gets underway

atom parts

I have also got the blade blanks almost ready .. the strip with hardwood on both sides will do me 4 blades for a 3 blade head (will balance them all together so I have that spare at hand .. sure to need it!!) The other 2 will do a set for a 2 blade head. Matched the wood as best I could so hopefully they will balance nicely. I have kept the wood at full width during this stage as it is sitting nice and flat - I will cut to final length and width once the glue has dried.

rotor blanks

That non stick baking paper from Tesco works very nicely. Keeps the glue off the office desks too (don't tell the Boss devil)

I plan to have a removable mast (so will be cutting a spare too) and removable booms (again as I don't expect it to all be a smooth ride)

More pictures to come as I progress .. have my 8 year old lad helping me which is fantastic .... he is almost as excited as I am blush

Thanks Rich

Yes, servo at the back and a steerable tail wheel planned .. slightly bigger fins / rudders too (i fly everything with lots of potential control) so it could end up rear heavy .. I plan on using a 2200 mah up front ,which will hopefully help but I will extend the motor mount if needs be to get the balance right.

The other change will, be the head servos which will be mounted a bit different to what I have seen so far. ..have to see how they work out....but its just wood so can be changed at any time ..lovely to be building again.

Tight schedule now ... taking if all to work and doing a bit each lunch hour but don't want to go too far without my son being there. .. and now my belt sander looks to have lost power when i need to do the blades .. probably having a strop because i haven't used it enough recently (have to knock a few Jabberwocks out smiley)

Still have a Spiro 3 and a 70% depron Rat Out Of Hell to build yet too (great plan drawing for the Rat ...now who did those wink) .. then the Chipmunk and Vulcan ... my lad will be getting a lot of buddy lead time!!

Posted by Richard Harris on 23/04/2015 07:38:37:

Thanks Steve,

Blog has been updated thumbs up

Jim,

Nice to meet you Sunday, your Atom flew well.

Here is a bit of a video I made of last Sunday, I have had to add music because of the sound generated by the air to air quad.

Rich

You'll have to get FPV sorted for the quad then you can get some real air to air shots. Nice to see the autogyros from a different angle. yes