The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Hi Terry,

The way I see it is that all colours look dark when applied to the underside, very hard to make a distinction unless your plane is flying directly overhead (and if you are then still wondering which way is up you have a situation....cheeky)

Whereas, on the top it really shows if you have a bright colour and you are changing your bank angle. So when you are flying away from where you are you will not see much of the rotor (well, a little bit because the rotor is tilted backwards), but when you initiate a turn you will suddenly see a lot of rotor, giving you a chance to keep the bank angle in check with roll control.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 27/02/2015 18:17:53

Advert

Two Atoms maidened this week here in Brittany.

tSams Atom.jpg

This is Sams which he flew last weekend but found the roll settings too great. Retuned for today with zero pitch offset and +-4 degrees on the sticks and 3 degrees left offset and +- 10 degrees roll. Better but after a perfect landing in blustry wind Sam still reckons it needs some fine tuning.

Peters Atom.jpg

This is mine in old-mans very bright paint so that I do not lose it. First attempt, take-off the ground with the blades making the right noise resulted in an immediate and rapid ground loop which broke the prop. Later, on a borrowed prop I tried a hand launch with the blades really pulling in the wind and it did an enormous loop with full forward on the stick. No damage but lots of questions.

Back at base I found the firewall was almost 4 degrees up and not 4-6 down which probably explains the looping tendancy!

Watch this space for next weekd session.

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 28/02/2015 19:35:05

Edited By Grasshopper on 28/02/2015 19:36:42

Took my first Atom and the Muon to the field today to check the rotor spin up. It was too windy for a test flight. Guess what? The other two brand new Tower pro servos failed at power up. Shall have to butcher it to get the Vigor servos in somehow. Spin up in each case was OK and the rotor balance seems fine.

Wih a bit more wind today finally got to maiden my yellow at Atom with a 2 blade set up... A bit more neg shim to encourage spin up and just flew straight out of Tim's hand launch. No trim change at all, just followed Rich notes on the 2 head plan. Soooo little power to fly and really smooth despite the gusts .. Well pleased.

Good luck to all others about to try theirs...

p3090087.jpgp3090086.jpgp3090085.jpgp3090084.jpgp3090083.jpgI have just read of Martins problem with the servos.I used standard servos which has been successful.If I can get the photos posted you will also see the other mods I have done.I have had some great flying with only one other problem ,the pilot.I have a problem with orientation which has caused me to bend it 3 or 4 times breaking the booms and mast.I now use a light T section alloy for the boom but left the wooden mast.The mast is easy to make and may prevent more serious damage.I have even glued it at the field and carried on flying.The boom is screwed to 3mm ply glued in the fuze recess and under the stabiliser.The fuze is 6mm deeper than the plan which allows more room for a 2.2 battery and wiring.

Posted by Kevin Flynn 1 on 07/03/2015 01:36:48:

Finally have my Atom finished had lots to do around the house so I am really behind the times hope to test this weekend weather permitting. I think this is the first one in California that is if Steve did not get his finished first.

Thanks Rich H for another fine model

Kevinatom.jpg

Kev,

Sorry, I missed your post mate. Nice job on your Atom, please pop it on to the completed Atom Gallery when you get chance. I am presuming you mean SteveT? didn't realise he was building one aswellsmile

Steve,

Glad to hear you have got your two bladed version up in the airthumbs up, it surprised me also just how little power is needed to maintain height compared to the 3 bladed version. Wonder if it would be worthwhile propping down a touch to get a little extra flight time?

Tom,

Your Atom is almomost unbreakable! wink 2, orientation unfortunately catches us all out from time to time. The biggest single thing that helped me out was flying in at close quarters, I feel more in control as I can see what is going on easier...well, most of the time embarrassed

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 10/03/2015 17:49:30

Finally got to maiden my atom today no wind to speak of and ground handling proved to aggressive resulting in several aborted take off attempts, nothing daunted a hand launch was tried, roll to the left and a broken mast, one quick repair later and as it was apparent I wasn't getting a adequate head speed a twin jet was employed to get the head speed up prior to a second hand launch, result a near perfect take off, rudder control was just about adequate and two nice floaty circuits later I plonked her down for a near zero length landing no further damage.

Lessons learnt, remove tail wheel and fit skid, increase rudder throws and possibly increase shims slightly, all in all a success in my books nice one Rich yes

Cheers Gents,

I will add them to the Atom page located in the drop down menu 'my tractor designs' located on the main page HERE , as you can see I still need to finish a few things offembarrassed

Phil,

Congratulations on your maiden thumbs up you haven't altered the angle of attack of your Atom when it is sat on terra firma by adding a tail wheel by any chance? This could be the reason for the lack of spin up possibly?

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 10/03/2015 20:15:49:

Phil,

Congratulations on your maiden thumbs up you haven't altered the angle of attack of your Atom when it is sat on terra firma by adding a tail wheel by any chance? This could be the reason for the lack of spin up possibly?

Rich

Just a little bit Rich, we all agreed though it was the over sensitive steering and zero wind that prevented a rolling take off, and lack of running speed in zero wind that made a hand launch difficult, my main problem is the distance from its pivot point of the tail wheel great at low taxi speeds just way over sensitive at take off speed so either a re design or removal is in order we had a decent head speed it took two steps to launch her and precious little right aileron to hold her level, later in the day I did set her on the runway while packing up at my second club where the wind was approx 5mph and had to stop the blades from spinning by them selves so I'm sure they'll be fine in anything but still air and when I can set of down the runway without imitating a distressed squirrel on speedwink

Just to add to that once I had her up she would go straight and level hands of at half throttle so she must be darned close to right I'd hazard a guess

Edited By Phil Winks on 10/03/2015 21:10:32

It is easier with a bit of a head wind but my video taken of the Atom in the fog was flat calm too. A quick pre spin and a bolt down the strip and it was up.

When building mine I did wonder if the prop wash would be assisting the spin up and went for a bigger diameter prop than I had planned.