The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Hi John

As for copying be my guest as I take that as a compliment wink It looks as thought Tom's post answers your question.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind words.......A few guys have found ground handling a little poor but it was attributed to insufficient rudder area.. In one of Rich's post he wondered if someone would like to try a third central fin and rudder, Steve J '2' took the option, but I had planned enlarging the rudder but still keeping the same rudder/ fin area, this I have done, but it looks as though you have found the answer with a steerable tail wheel. As our Club field will not be fit for a few weeks I think I will knock up a steerable tail wheel.....thanks

Terry

PS  I liked your idea for servo mounting, cracking looking model too yes

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 31/01/2015 14:30:47

Having already made the canopy for my Atom using an empty water bottle and with the first one near perfect when I tackled the motor cover I expected the same. I have now tried about 6 different bottles but none of them will shrink enough to cover the tapered nose. What bottle did we all use here?

On another topic has anyone tried the app which turns your Android phone into a hi-tech clinometer? It is awesome and takes most of the guess work out of the head alignment process. Free to dpwnload so a real bargain.

Peter

David, yes sounds about right. I buy my tonic in tins so will have to nip out tomorrow for a couple of bottles.

Martin,

Clinometer on Android - yes of course.

Usual store, Google Play - program is by 'plaincode', product is Clinometer v 2.2 is what I have - and it's free!

Let us know what you think of it.

Peter

Also available for A**le.

Edited By Grasshopper on 31/01/2015 17:03:23

Posted by Tom Smellie 1 on 31/01/2015 09:13:54:

That's a smart model Terry.I found the ground handling hopeless with the skid so I fitted a steerable tail wheel and now have control on the ground.I am now having a lot of fun flying my wee machine.

Rich has a lot to answer for as a guy could easily get hooked on these things.

Tom S.

Tom,

Unfortunately these flying machines can get a little addictive once you start exploring their capabilities, glad to hear you are enjoying your Atom thumbs up

Rich

Rich,

I have been asked by a fellow club member to add his name to the Mass Build. We live in Brittany and fly at the nearby airport at Tremuson alongside the 'normal' planes. Sam, who is French and an excellent builder/guider follows the build thread and asked me to add his name. Job done!

sams atom.jpg

Sams Atom.

My Atom build is nearly complete after a nightmare trying to get the motor cowl as I wanted it. Photos to follow soon.

What's the count now?

Peter

Hello to everyone from Istanbul / Turkey.
My name is Ozgur Sar and I have been flying mostly rc helicopters & planes for about 5 years.

Lately I was looking to build an autogyro and found this great model.
I would like to give it a try but couldn't find the plans on this web site. Where can I find the download link for the PDF file?

Ozgur,

Hello and welcome to the forum, the plan is not available as a PDF as far as I am aware but you can buy a back issue of the magazine which includes them and the write up.

Unfortunately I cannot find the correct web page to this issue but I am sure David Ashby will be able to locate it and add a link when he sees this?

Rich

I need to confirm with my Gyronut helpers but as previously mentioned I am looking at 2 dates that builders/ fliers and watchers want to come along to my field. The idea is to help out/check over/disscuss and test fly any Atoms that mass builders want to bring along. The dates are not confirmed but it is looking like the 19th April and 3rd May, BMFA insurance is mandotary if flying (you can bring along fixed wings aswell).

If it is a go I will add all the info on this thread once I have confirmation

More to follow.

Rich