Squeeky bum time ..test flight time

Lee Smalley

Advert

thanks guys she is built from the DB sport and scale kit but modified, she is 88" wingspan 1/5 scale i think, lets get the Nats out of the way and tehn keep an eye on the weather !!

cheers ian any tips for approach and landing my record with WWII birds is not the best

jets no problem

On the first flight of any model with flaps I always get to know what throttle and flap settings give a nice decent, ready for the inevitable landing. I hear it at my club quite often ' Oh I didn't use the flaps for landing, it was the test flight!!!' Aeroplanes have flaps for a reason and it isn't to make things harder!! How much flap travel do you have, nearly 90 degrees? On entering the final circuit I'd have the gear down and then select full flap (The Spitfire had full flap or no flap, nothing inbetween unless they were 'wedged' This would be at a slow cruising speed, then reduce the throttle to give a nice decent all the way round the circuit, as you know using throttle instead of elevator, if you decide you need to go round, power up then raise the flaps if you want to. I'd wheel it on for the first few go's.

You've made a cracking job of it too mate, ice o see one of the more unusual colour schemes, ie. not green and brown or grey!

Ian.

thanks guys much appreciated, Ian i do have very close to 90 deg on the flaps, i think my major problems have stemmed from coming in too shallow, which is not a problem with my jets, i think i will leave plenty of time for a few practice approaches, and try them from a bit higher, not sure about a bit of down elevator compensation mix, i cant find the instructions anymore

and the colour scheme was chosen to try and be a bit different i can't remember seeing a trop conversion model since woodvale show in the 90s and i think it makes the spit look a bit more aggressive

as everyone one of us i always wanted a spitfire, but i never wanted a foamie or one with an engine hanging out, or one with servos on show everywhere, so thats why i picked the db kit, everything is hidden and thanks to just engines the silencer is very well hidden

also have to thank phil clarke at fighter aces for help and advice on his warbird colours, brian wood (who competes at the nats most years) for some finishing advice, Danny Fenton, for some stuff he sent me and to Andy Ellison for constantly pushing, whingeing and badgering me to finish her, i owe you all a pint of the finest

Lee, I doubt you'll need any down elevator mix, you'll probably need some up if anything. Full flap will pitch the nose down but power will keep it flying straight, less throttle till the descent is right for your approach. I'm with ou on the servo thing, many a good scale model has been spoilt by servo tops and linkages hanging out!!

Ian.

ok mate i will not put a mix in but i will have a helper ready on the trim

and yes mate defo on the servo thing, so many amazing models with so much time invested and so much scale detailing only then to have servos waving at you, i really just dont get it ....why bother !! still each to their own i suppose.

thanks for advice Ian mate, if i see you near the bar at the nats be prepared for beer

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 20/08/2014 16:28:25:

Very nice looking model Lee, best of luck. I'm sure she'll be fine, and you'll enjoy flying her.

I love how the scheme flows into the yellow lines on the tarmac, top pic. Who knew cammo worked so well thumbs up

lol top spot mate i cant believe how every yellow bit meets a yellow stripe on he tarmac !! freeky weird 1st pic ...love it

Agree with the comments about the finish and the colour scheme. It does make a refreshing change: and the air filter on the tropical version does a nifty job of hiding the exhaust...

Please let us know how the maiden went!

Cheers,

TWS

p.s. Regarding the yellow lines. Are you sure it wasn't left parked on the tarmac when the line-painting truck went by?