Brussels halts our vacuums

Stevo

Posted by John F on 24/08/2014 07:39:03:

The new data laws forces communication companies to store data but does not include the content of messages and phone calls - just when and who you called, texted and emailed. The government does not get this data though, it is the communications companies who store this metadata. Nothing is being listened to unless the security services get a warrant signed and even then only the data and communications being investigated is accessed, not everyone on a whim.

Have you actually read the Act in full then John or are you relying on what the politicians who created it in secret are telling you to believe ? Because a lot of people disagree with them including Lawyers, civil liberty groups, privacy campaigners etc,

And have you ever heard of GCHQ and NSA, do you know the reason Edward Snowden is now a refugee in Russia and a wanted man in America etc etc

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Advert

They are a bit on the heavy side and the spares, e.g. filters make your wallet weep. We still have ours 10 years on it gets less powerful as the months go on it can just about keep a pathway through the build up of dust due to its diminishing power. May not even be able to suck up a gossamer thin Balsa shaving up now I'm afraid to try.

Don't believe that drivel It still works okay been retired to be 'bedroom vacuum cleaner' Less stressful for it.

Posted by john stones 1 on 23/08/2014 11:56:12:

It's a bit like a BMFA thread this one, remember you elected these people, get along to your party conference and express your views, it's no good complaining if you don't get involved.smiley (please add large pinch of salt)

John

Yeah, because I voted for the party that said we'd have a referendum on EU membership - yeah right, still waiting on that one. What's the point when they just do what they like and get away with it once they are in power. They're all the same.

Rich

Posted by Ben B on 23/08/2014 11:58:30:

Shaunie- its like you've thought it through rather than just say the first thing that springs to mind or the Daily Mail instructs you to think- an unsual approach yeslaugh

Not sure about the people saying this is to keep industry going. They're not banning people from using existing powerful hoovers, just saying that any new ones have to be more efficient. Not sure why that is a bad thing..... Better for the environment and uses less electricity and therefore saves money.... Modern cars are more efficient than 20 years ago because they have to be- there was no real impetus to making hoovers more efficient previously..

If they are that concerned about the environment and resources, why are we needlessly shipping products around the world? We have enough food to be self-sufficient, and yet we import from all around the world?

Cars are another good example.

A load of nonsense all of it.

Rich

Posted by Shaunie on 23/08/2014 11:41:37:

In some respects you can understand it. Customers will still expect good cleaning performance so the manufacturers will be forced to develop more efficient motors and impellers instead of just shoving in cheap and nasty parts that squander energy. There are already regs as to how much water a pressure washer can consume for a similar reason.

But, and it's a big but, there are no regulations about equipment lifetimes. As a result we are forced into buying energy efficient appliances with ever shorter lifetimes. Which is worse, a vacuum cleaner that is inefficient but last 20 years as your grandmothers would have done or a new one that use two Watts but will break in 18 months so you have to buy another. No thought is being given to the energy and materials being wasted in needlessly making new goods for this reason. Keeping the wheels of industry turning is the real purpose of the exercise but it is being hidden under the guise of energy efficiency and the environment. Unfortunately every body likes new toys, many don't think it through and just suck up what the Authorities tell them.

Shaunie.

Yes, I agree, the biggest crime...so long as the rich get richer its ok.

Rich

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/08/2014 18:38:37:

Just a point. I did vote. I voted to join the Common Market. NOT to be come part of a European State. That was because of the lies told by the Government at the time.

A small correction, if you're referring to the referendum - you voted not to withdraw from the Common Market after the politicians took us in (in more than one sense?)

Straying off topic? Not if you consider that we were suck(er)ed in to the EU...

Posted by Rich2 on 25/08/2014 13:30:21:
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/08/2014 11:56:12:

It's a bit like a BMFA thread this one, remember you elected these people, get along to your party conference and express your views, it's no good complaining if you don't get involved.smiley (please add large pinch of salt)

John

Yeah, because I voted for the party that said we'd have a referendum on EU membership - yeah right, still waiting on that one. What's the point when they just do what they like and get away with it once they are in power. They're all the same.

Rich

And did it come as a surprise Rich ?wink

John

OK then I have one that is sort of on the same topic but I can't remember seeing it on any of the posts , and it may possibly affect probably all Grass covered clubs -- LINK

Gardeners with sit-on lawnmowers face buying motor insurance

European ruling next month could force gardeners with ride-on mowers to take out insurance against accidents on private land

It says in the link that for home owners their house insurance should cover it but that would change as they would require motor insurance, I should imagine that would be same with public liability, my PL insurance doesn't cover me for driving a work van for instance, I have to get a separate motor policy -

copied and pasted

"We have home insurance in place for these kind of things and it works fine. Once we have seen the ruling we'll take whatever action necessary to head off anything that hurts people's personal finances."

Senior EU legal officials involved in the Slovenian case have argued that motor insurance should cover vehicles being used in all situations, not just those involved in accidents which happen on roads or in public places.

As a result, motor insurance would become compulsory for certain vehicles which do not currently require cover, including sit-on lawnmowers.