New here, with a question if I may..

Colin P

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in everything aviation related for about 40 years.

I live close to Cosford and Halfpenny Green so spend quite some time at weekends at one or the other. I flew a couple of c/l models in the early 70s but didn't progress to radio controlled.

I have a couple of old Baron 30 helis which I have flown a little, but I have just been given a balsa model chipmunk which I believe was built around 1962.

The wingspan is 78in, fuselage 56in. It has apparently been stored in a loft for many years and is in good condition although quite dirty and with a rough finish. It seems to have planked wings and fuselage covered with strips of tape which have then been painted.

I would like to restore this model and learn to fly so...

a) can anyone help with some tips for stripping and re-covering the model

b) any info on local friendly clubs

Thanks, Colin.

Hello Colin

I cant help you with the club question but someone will when they see it. Is the wing cover with a film or painted ?

it sound like it may be a foam wing, not sure what you mean by strips of tape on the fuzz either, it may be an iron on fabric or a glass cloth, try gently peeling it back. Any chance of a picture of it ?

John

Thank you all for the replies, It's definitely all wooden construction John, I've pulled off some bits of the tape which looks like masking tape about 40mm wide. Underneath is balsa wood painted with white matt paint (primer?).This tape is stuck very soundly and only comes off in tiny pieces so it may take a few long winter evenings to do the whole aircraft.

The fuselage seems to be done in the same manner. I did take some photos of it when I brought it home so I will try to post some in the next couple of days. I found some local clubs on the BMFA site (thanks Ron) and will search out some of those videos Wingman.

Dave, I reckon that it will be a fair while before the chipmunk flies, so plenty of time for me to get to grips with a trainer. Any recommendations for a particular model? Preferably glow engined.

Thanks again, Colin.

Edited By Colin P on 06/09/2014 17:42:07

Posted by Colin P on 06/09/2014 14:08:47:

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in everything aviation related for about 40 years.

I live close to Cosford and Halfpenny Green so spend quite some time at weekends at one or the other. I flew a couple of c/l models in the early 70s but didn't progress to radio controlled.

Don't let the control line boys hear you say that R/C is "progressing from C/L". I committed that faux pas in earshot of a C/L aficionado in our club who's still competing nationally, and was firmly put in my placecryinglaugh

It is fair to say that instructors all have their own idea on the best trainer to have and therefore one should ask the instructor(s) at the local club. ( an ARTF Wot Trainer -Uno Wot- is favoured by my club at the moment )   Of course you also want the same make of Tx as your instructor as otherwise you have to provide a second Tx yourself.  So check whether the instructor flies Futaba or Spektrum or something else.

Edited By kc on 06/09/2014 18:22:29

Hi all,

Here is a photo of the chipmunk. Although it looks ok in the photo, I think it could look so much better if completely stripped and re-covered. I intend to replace all the control rods/linkages etc. and tidy up the canopy.

I haven't looked at the engine yet, but it does turn over by hand very smoothly.

chippy005.jpg

Hi Colin.

The covering could be strips of gummed paper, which was quite popular back then, but more so for model boats. The glue on the paper won't be waterproof, but the paint on top probably is ! If you can get an edge up, you might be able to steam it off without making too much mess. You could try a wallpaper stripper (steam variety).

smiley

Hi Colin,

I fly with the Sherrif Hales club, just north of Shifnal.

I'm not an instructor myself, but we do have willing volunteers and examiners, who will do their best for the up and coming newbie. Although my own preference is for electric power, many of our members are devout glo adherents, so there's plenty of free advice available.

Send me a PM if you want a telephone number for our club chairman.

tim

i would be very wary of the steam stripper as we dont know what the airframe was built with glue wise, if as was also popular then it was built with a PVA type you could well end up with more than the covering coming off,

cj

Edited By ceejay on 08/09/2014 18:28:06