dx6 orange don't mix

ERIC DODSWORTH

Advert

Posted by Barryorbik on 08/09/2014 20:41:43:

I had a talk with one of the helicopter elite at the NATS a couple of week ago and his view was why risk a model that is probably worth a few hundred or even thousands of pounds by using a non-compliant or risky 'copy' radio system?

Just a thought

Barry

I think I should point out that orangeRx is not a 'copy' brand per-se, yes they use the DSM2 and DSMX systems and I agree they are guilty of trying to get speccy users to mix and match brands.

I personally have used their Tx and Rx's for a while now with not one issue, there are however, as with many brands, copies of the orange Rx receivers and I suspect this and the absolute No No, in my opinion, of using differing manufactures for your Tx and RX that are causing the issue here in most if not all cases.

how many people have 4 matching tires on their car and of those how many are the same as the tires that left the factory people mix and match when it suits and stand on a soap box and preach when it suits how many people have a £50 foamy then put the same value rx not many how many expect the airborne package that has worked for many years to suddenly stop not many if you fly £1000 helis in front of a crowd you go overboard at the moment you cannot get a cheap spektrum rx they are out of stock so you buy 250 model memories and only have 1 rx as none of your orange are safe to use the point isnt to say one or the other is wrong it is to stop people thinking what was safe yesterday is safe today it doesn't seem to be that way

The car analogy is just one more example of woolly thinking. The car manufacturer does not explicitly tell you not to fit another brand of tyres.

You guys have ignored an explicit safety warning by the manufacturer - the ball is firmly in your court. As you were told the last time you aired this topic and this thread is just resurrection of that going down the same path.

If you want to solve this problem open your wallet, follow the direct instructions of the primary manufacturer and buy legitimate genuine equipment. If you won't do that then please fly somewhere other than me and spare the rest of us this pompous "safety hazard" bleating. Your safety problems are entirely self-imposed.

BEB

My last post hope there are enough full stops.'!
More dx6 radio's more crashes more crashes more insurance claims more claims the higher the insurance will cost if any is offered if no insurance is offered there will be no flying did the bad grammer get in the way of the message new spectrum doesn't mix with old orange any more!

Then use Spektrum RX's as recommended in the TX makers instructions, instead of trying to save a couple of quid - its an ORANGE problem not a Spektrum issue

It would be good if you actually put the blame ( if any) where it rightly lies.... and also give us the answers we asked for regarding the tests that were carried out to support this case as you were asked to do so in the previous thread you opened

Clearly you don't understand the situation.

I don't use either Spektrum or Orange but having witnessed a peculiar technical problem with them I want to get to the bottom of it to help others avoid the problem. To help the many of my club members who do use Spektrum and of course all aeromodellers because it's in all our interests to fly safely. I believe Eric's situation is similar. We are merely trying to discover the technical reasons behind the problems we have witnessed. We are doing this for aeromodelling and yet get all this flack!

Sorry KC, there is no "situation" to understand.  All of this is just pure guesswork. You even admited you witnessed a crash and, by the sounds of things, just added two and two together at random.

Not being funny Eric but this drum you're banging is a bit full on. If there is a problem it has nothing to do with the DX6, it is down to Orange.

You were wrong before though on the other thread where it transpired that these are with Orange Rx's on kit that was made by learners with unknown set ups and many, many variables which were not considered.

You claimed in quite strong terms that the DX6 is rubbish and not fit for purpose, it was sent for testing and they found absolutely nothing wrong.

Now you're at it again. There is nothing to say that the DX6 won't work with orange; I only found one reference.

There is nothing at all, on any forum, to state that Orange will not work with a DX6 Tx. Not one single jot. You would have thought that given the thousands of users around the world and the popularity of using Orange Rx's that someone would have found issues. In fact many folk have said that they DO work with the DX6 when new users of the DX6 asked.

No-one seems to have any issues except for Pauls Hobby Hangar (the only claim that Orange won't work with a DX6 that I have found) and yourself, Eric, in fact Paul on this very thread is one of many who have and do use Orange Rx's with the DX6.  There are many examples of questions about the use of Orange with the new DX6 and every single one say they can and do use them.

Is it possible, considering the amount of users who do use them, that you're mistaken in the same way you were in the other thread and that any issues are down to installation issues?

Edited By John F on 09/09/2014 10:06:17

I don't think there's anything wrong in highlighting an apparent problem and asking for the experiences of others in the interests of safety. Whether or not the manufacturers specifically advise against using non-original equipment, the fact is that many users do.

It is unreasonable to expect any manufacturer to stop developing their products for the sake of those making unauthorised competing products. It is quite possible that in addressing a small shortcoming in their firmware, it could affect firmware written by a third party.

The bottom line is that anyone ignoring he makers advice is experimenting at their own risk!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/09/2014 10:48:51

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/09/2014 18:45:35:

I said you should consider apologising - clearly you are not that sort of person, ie the sort that can even consider that they may have been a bit hasty with the words like "disgusting" describing other people's behaviour. Never mind - its takes a big man to admit he's done something wrong - clearly you're not that man.

In my view the only safety hazard on here KC is people buying cut price copy Rx's despite a clear warning from the primary manufacturer not to do so.

BEB

Oranges are not the only fruit.

John F, I am not using guesswork. I participated in the investigation and range checking of the new DX6 and orange Rx. I have reported the facts accurately as far as known. The planes owner and I found the range greatly reduced but could not find any other explanation - we checked everything we could. It previously worked with a DX6i and didnt with a new DX6. Eric reported very similar findings. It has everything to do with the new DX6.

There are various models of Orange Rx shown on the HobbyKing website. Some are shown as DSM2 compatible and some are shown as DSM2/DSMX compatible. This may be ( or may not be ) why some have reported Orange works OK with new DX6 and others have reported problems.

I am trying to get the facts about what works and what doesn't. I am not doing this for myself I am doing it for us all.

Edited By kc on 09/09/2014 11:41:22

Edited By kc on 09/09/2014 11:43:39

Posted by ERIC DODSWORTH on 09/09/2014 09:15:15:
My last post hope there are enough full stops.'!
More dx6 radio's more crashes more crashes more insurance claims more claims the higher the insurance will cost if any is offered if no insurance is offered there will be no flying did the bad grammer get in the way of the message new spectrum doesn't mix with old orange any more!

Eric, in all seriousness, your style of posting does interfere with comprehension of your messages.

Breaking a post up into paragraphs and sentences will improve its readability - I'm not trying to preach and absolute grammatical accuracy isn't necessary but a little effort to improve presentation will help.

From a personal point of view, when I've re-read some of your postings, I've found points made that were not obvious on a first reading.

Hope you find this helpful and appreciate that I'm not trying to nit-pick for the sake of it.

Whilst I agree with Martin about punctuation etc this is all getting away from the point.

All the way along people seem to have misunderstood this thread. Eric headed the thread "dx6 orange dont mix" It's clearly a warning not to mix.

As I understand it Eric has found by bitter experience that the new DX 6 wont work with an Orange Rx or a fake Spektrum Rx like the DX6i or his Spektrum module did. Either Spektrum changed something in the new DX6 which stops it working with Orange Rx and fake Spektrum Rx or Eric (and also my clubmate) got a dud DX6.

Therefore to be safe anyone buying a new DX6 must ensure they dont use it with fake Spektrum Rx or Orange Rx. But how do they know a Spektrum Rx that they have had for some time and works well with a DX6i is genuine and not fake?

Post edited to remove an unsubstantiated claim.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/09/2014 14:02:56

Firstly if you have a dirt cheap "brand new" Spektrum RX or Orange RX for £1.99 off Ebay, then the likelyhood is you have one of the many totally fake XT's - In this case take a deep breath and exhale slowly whilst crushing it in vice.

If you have a genuine Spektrum RX then you should have no problems

If you have an Orange RX then according to second hand reports from Eric you may be at risk from Range Fails

Of course there could be any other numbers of reasons, like flying behind foliage, flying into the "Donut of Death", bad installation, Low Battery, Frayed/Broken Aerial Stubs etc etc.......

Its a case of "you pays your money and takes your choice" Genuine Spektrum RX @ around £20 (AR400) or £13 (R620)

Am I going to save £7 on a model that I have slaved over and bleed into for months? Probably not I think I will heed the Manufacturers clear instructions and use an OEM rig

Am I going to save £7 on a model I picked up on Ebay for a fiver probably......

Ok, my 2 cents worth on this...

Previously Orange rx's worked nicely with the older generation DX6/i, in fact they were probably designed for this compatability. Now Spektrum have changed their specs (probably for the better) and now they're not compatible. Have I got that right? Sorry to ask but a lot of this thread is going off topic.

First, you are absolutely right to raise a concern, modellers could lose models they've spent a long time on, can't afford to replace etc and God forbid there's an accident and someone get's hurt.

That said I have to agree with point made clear earlier in this thread. People are choosing to buy orange rx's to save money, no other reason for it. If you are then choosing to mix two different brands against the manufacturers specific instruction and then lose a model you have no one to blame but yourself. The manufacturer told you not to do it and you did it anyway.

Sorry but I have little sympathy.

John F. Your post at 9.46 9 Sept contains the misinformation. The first paragraph that accuses me of "pure guesswork" and "just added two and two together at random" It goes on " There is nothing at all, on any forum, to state that Orange will not work with a DX6 Tx. Not one single jot"    also you said  "If there is a problem it has nothing to do with the DX6" 

Further on it refers to Pauls Hanger. The reference actually is actually to the DX6 park Flyer system not the new 250 memory DX6. It says

"OrangeRX R610 Receiver receivers are not compatible with the DX6 park flyer radio system."

Edited By kc on 10/09/2014 17:35:49

I don't see the point you're trying to make, KC, but cancelling the only reference I can ever find to state that a DX6 will not work actually means that there is no evidence to state that Orange Rx's will not work with the DX6.

With hundreds of new owners all around the world using the new DX6 there is not one reference to an Orange Rx not working yet I can find many references to categorically state that they DO work.

In the same way that the DX6 thread was pure guesswork and was later proved to be incorrect I fear that this is going the same way; there isn't any evidence, only your guestimations.

I apologise if you are offended KC but the fact is you're lacking any evidence in exactly the same way that evidence was lacking in the other thread.

I will leave it at that as we're going around in circles.

Well there definately is evidence. You are trying to deny the information that Eric gave (4 models lost) and also the range test that I reported which found a new DX6 was not compartible with an Orange rx that had previously worked perfectly with a DX6i. Not "pure guesswork" but evidenced by crashes and range test. Evidenced by a range test I participated in and conducted vigourously and not " "just added two and two together at random" as you suggested

Your statement " In the same way that the DX6 thread was pure guesswork and was later proved to be incorrect " seems unsubstantiated and incorrect if it's referring to Eric's previous thread.

I am not offended ( everyone is entitled to their view) but greatly alarmed that your view denying the information supplied here may encourage others to think that all Orange rx if they worked OK with a DX6i will also be fully compatible with the new 250 memory DX6. Not all will so the only safe way is to not mix Orange rx with a new DX6.