AJAY Autogyro Build

Big T

Advert

Good plan to test fly before the "glam" is added thumbs up well done lads you have gained your "food mixer" wings ( sorry Ken)

It would be great if every club had an Auto gyro instructor , a little off thread, but how about some thoughts from current instructors who have not yet converted to the not so dark side?

Tom.

Posted by Edmond Burgess on 13/10/2014 10:49:13:

I would like to build one of these also. However, I am unsure how you get the CG of the blades and Richard Harris mentions "shims" I have ave no idea where they go or what they do. Having never built an autogiro befor. I would be greatfull for help on these two blade issues. thanks Eddie Burgess.

Hi Edmond

The shims are thin strips of material placed on the bottom of the blade root and behind the rotor bolt hole. The shim thickness on this model is 0.8mm placed 6mm behind the bolt hole. This sets the blade at a small negative incidence relative to the delta flex pate which enables the blades to spin up quite quickly when they are presented at a suitable angle to the airflow.

Balancing the blades is important , as for the chord wise cg you mention put a pin at the tip and root located on a line across the length of the blade which is on the forward edge of the bolt hole. Rest the pins on some dowel or similar circular object and imbed weights behind the blade leading edge and at roughly half span until the blade balances slightly nose down.

I have used many sets of blades as supplied with this model and found that the chord wise cog is often OK as supplied but it is still a good idea to check.

Balance along the blade length also needs to be checked but more on that on request.

Tom.

Made a start on mine today. Good job I looked inside the box, a bit sneaky taping some items to the box sidessurprise

Quality is very good, those blades are so much better than I could do myself.

Two small gripes, I don't have a PC so instructions on a disk are no good, unless someone could send me a PDF?, and no Velcro which is supposed to be supplied. No worries, I have loads.

What motor have others used?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gavin

The trailing edge taper from the root is to reduce the chance blade damage following a ground strike .

This is the way I do mine .....Measure 30 mm from the leading edge, then 60 - 80 mm along the trailing edge from the root .This gives the two reference points needed to draw a line prior to cutting.

Hope this helps

Tom.

• 2 months later...

Hello All AJAY people,

Having flown my AJAY 6 or 7 times it appears to be tail heavy, flying nose up and rather sensitive to aileron and elevator inputs. It also flares when heading into wind, requiring significant down elevator.

The model is set up as per supplied instructions, using a 3S 2200 lipo and the recommended powertrain.

Have any other users had similar experiences, and if so how have the issues been overcome?

Regards Peter

• 7 months later...

HI,

I hope I am not being a pest but have more questions re my AJ autogyro build>I am an experienced fixed wing modeller but a little confused with the autogyro set up.

My main problem is which mix I use on the radio, The instructions just refer to a radio with a flying wing mix.I am assuming this is an elevon mix?

Still a little confused with COG and balancing blades. I am really keen to get it right so any help or reference material would be well received.

Hoping the weather improves for the NATS this weekend.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi not sure whos reading this now as no replies from my last post.Completed my AJ autogyro and got it to fly (just) last weekend. The unit seems to be very low on power hardly able to climb. Out at all.

Had a 3s 2200 ma battery with 10x6 prop.any thoughts would be well recioeved.Try a larger prop?

Richard

Posted by Richard Franks on 27/08/2015 10:49:27:

HI,

I hope I am not being a pest but have more questions re my AJ autogyro build>I am an experienced fixed wing modeller but a little confused with the autogyro set up.

My main problem is which mix I use on the radio, The instructions just refer to a radio with a flying wing mix.I am assuming this is an elevon mix?

Still a little confused with COG and balancing blades. I am really keen to get it right so any help or reference material would be well received.

Hoping the weather improves for the NATS this weekend.

Richard

Richard.

It uses the same head as the Atom. There is lots of info on here about that.

Yes it's the elevon (or delta wing) mix you want. You might need to reverse or swap servo channels to get it working the right way round. Its right when the head moves the same way as the tranny stick when you are stood above / behind the model.

Richard,

If you have the recommended power set up then it could well be that you have too much rearward tilt, this can add a lot of drag and works as a good brake.

Its well worth double checking your set up, if you have a little extra weight in the front you will have to add rearward tilt to bring the nose in tow. All this will need more power to pull the model around the sky to compensate the extra drag.

Rich