My Bucking Buccaneer

Advert

Posted by Countryboy on 22/09/2014 13:38:05:

I have been having a long peerrruuuusssse of the plans and there doesn't appear to any floppy bits on the wings, Could this be a problem when trying to fly it ?

I think you mean "ailerons." These are neither necessary nor desirable on a vintage model such as the Buccaneer which was originally designed for free flight, probably in the 1930s.

The wing's dihedral will keep things steady in the lateral plane and you steer the model using the rudder.

Gotta confess that I had trouble getting the screws to hold in that soft stuff but we got there in the end

In the morning I shall be cleaning up the work bench ( kitchen worktop ) and only leave out the essential tools.

I'm not the tidiest of workers but fortunately don't have a HWMBO to nag about it.

Edited By Countryboy on 22/09/2014 22:08:38

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 22/09/2014 23:52:06:

I always wonder why so many people start with the flappy bits at the stern

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 22/09/2014 23:53:08

'cos they look at the rest and go ****

(**** being of course the generally shortened form of - "good heavens old chap, I do rather believe that there are enough pieces here to somewhat confuse me at least until till my bovine herd return to the milking parlour, I perceive thereto that I might partake of a teensy more gentle way into this rather complex matter, and convince myself I can achieve this venture within my lifetime, what?)

Nails, screws, self-tappers, etc..........have you lot not heard of "No Nails"??

(Subscribed!)

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 22/09/2014 23:52:06:

I always wonder why so many people start with the flappy bits at the stern

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 22/09/2014 23:53:08

I think it because you can then have something to look at and think "If I can do that I can do the rest."

Standard reccomended practice for full size home builders.

Of course it doesn't always work and there are probably people out there with two dozen assorted tailplanes and nothing else.

no, 6" will be steel, they rust. Brass pins or copper nails, also they'll polish up a treat.

As for kitchen worktops, I put a chunk on top of the coffee table so I work in total comfort with all the amenities within reach - tv, stereo, computer etc. I also like to start with wings as it's much more satisfying to waft a wing structure around making brrrrrrmmmm-whoosh type noises.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/09/2014 09:01:12

It's been a long night !! Couldn't sleep after a couple of days in bed so I decided to have a go at the bit wot the pilot sits in. It all looked fairly simple until I found that the 1/4 x 1/4 that comes with the kit isn't long enough to go from bow to stern front to back. Didn't see any reason why it couldn't be joined so I doubled it up on a straight section that has little stress in it.img_0013.jpg

I'm getting to like building with balsa ! It's so easy to work with and is very forgiving.

The hours passed by quickly and before I knew it, this lot appeared on the bench. I'm rather pleased with the results considering that this is my first kit.

img_0011.jpg

img_0010.jpg

img_0007.jpg

I think I need a rest before I do the wings, they look more complicated than the bits I've done so far.

Mike

Actually you have done the most complicated part

Just a little tip. When doing joints.and fitting reinforcing strips always taper the ends. Joints in strips are scarf jointed, that is tapered joints. Not straightr across.

The reason is to spread loads and avoid sudden changes in section. A sudden change in section creates a stress point and that is where it will break, a tapered joint is stronger.