My Bucking Buccaneer

Peter is right CB Forget balsa or ply.

You shouldn't have too many problems re warping, your wing should be able to cope with shrinkage. If there is a warp you can pin the finished wing to your building board, apply a bit of heat, and bingo. It really is the way to go.

ernie

Advert

Get the video. Read the sintructions that come with the material.

Start on a simple bit like the tailplane, use very sharp blades

Film will blunt blades amazingly fast. I tend to buy disposable razor and remove the blades. Cheaper than Scalpels.

Follow the instructions and don't get worried. It is not as hard as you are imagining.

Compared with dope and tisuue that we used to use it is simplicity in itself.

You will soon be doing things like this with film and Solartrim. Trust me it is easy with a little practice

Symphony 1 mod.jpg

Miss Cassy in flight.jpg

Posted by Countryboy on 27/09/2014 12:05:02:

OK, OK, OK !! Solarfilm it is then.

I hope you mean Solartex CB.

Let's get this right once and for all.

Solarfilm is a plastic film.

Solartex is a fabric with a heat sensitive glue on the back of it.

Anyone who covers a vintage model in film should be put in the stocks. angry 2

Solartex is easier to use than Solarfilm and is available in either "solid" colours or "Vintage Colours" which look a bit like doped nylon or silk and will suit any vintage model with a five foot or larger wingspan. The Vintage colour range allow you to see the structure of the model through the covering. I find that it looks really attractive on a bright sunny day. It's easy to use but you might be better off if you could find an experienced modeller locally who could show you how to use it.

The "works" Senior Telemaster, agreed an eight-foot wingspan model, is finished in Vintage Blue, Vintage Orange and Neutral Solartex, the Super 60 is finished in Vintage Red Solartex and the double sized Tomboy is finished in Vintage Red and Vintage Yellow Solartex. You can also get Solartex in a shade called "Antique" which is a shade of cream and it looks like un-bleached linen or silk. It's a popular colour with vintage enthusiasts. Pictures below.

Senior Telemaster

super 60 merco 35 up.jpg

double sized tomboy.jpg

Just a thought and back to the warping of wings....

When I cover wings I cover one side first on a low heat so that I get all the edges trimmed and glued down. I then add a little heat just to pull the sagging bits out of the film in between the ribs. I then cover the other side and add more heat to that side just to take out any of the slack in the film. Once I've done that I then add more heat and shrink the covering material to remove all the wrinkles etc.

I always worry if I cover one side of a wing and then heat the film to much it will warp the wing. In my process and my thinking is if there is film on both sides it will prevent that...

Thats my thinking, wrong or write I'm sticking with it

Jamie

well, going back to the build, I have cut of the pointy bit at the front ( nose ) that was a bit twisted ( much like me ! ) and rebuilt it with a tray to take a battery. All is now square and true, just as I expected ( not ) Next job will be to sort out a hatch for the battery bay and I could do with a few arguments suggestions as to the best way to secure the hatch cover.

Mike ( Becoming terminologically competent - slowly )

So, disregarding any controversy relating to other posts, I have just taken delivery of a small section solartex

and I am pleased to say that it is a piece of cake to apply. Forget all those tales of needing years of practice, doom and glom , it it so simple that I would trust my dog to do it !!

P S Bramble is an obedience champion so that  may be irrelevant

Mike

Edited By Countryboy on 01/10/2014 01:04:30

Edited By Countryboy on 01/10/2014 01:05:37

Don't get too cocky CB.........there are many unforseen pitfalls that await..........how are you going to stop it sagging on a sunny day, how are you going to stop the edges lifting, and what about double curvature. wing tips.

I'm afraid that I am that guy who has many years of prectice, and still messes up from time to time

Mon dieu, I'm recovering a brand new hotliner wing this very morning.

ernie

..........how are you going to stop it sagging on a sunny day,

Been going thru the destructions again and can't see where it says about not being suitable for outdoor use. Have I missed something ?? Or could a manufacturer possibly be being less than totally honest about the product ? Surely that couldn't happen ????

I have only ever covered one wing with Solartex which was undercambered , a Junior 60's. I had no trouble but the advice given above, of applying Basaloc to the undersides of the wing-ribs and spars if they are flush with the underside of the wing-ribs, will help to improve adhesion.

Once having got to this stage, ie, the underside of the wing is covered, I've heard that some people run a bead of cyano alongside the wing ribs to help adhesion further.

Never tried it myself.