Avicraft Panic

Andy Green

I've got an ASP 52 with mini-pipe in mine but I'm sorely tempted to stuff an OS61SF up it's snout instead. It flies just fine with the 52 but it would be interesting to see what the torque effects would be like, maybe with a full length pipe for a laugh.

I did try it with a 46AX and prefer the 52 so the 61 is a logical progression and probably as far as I'd want to go. Pity it would mean re-drilling the nose for a larger mount.

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy, really like the colour scheme, well done!

I'm currently flying a white ARTF with top orange checks and underside black stripes which is I think now six years old and is refusing to die, probably as I also have an all balsa airframe waiting covering, which will be red top and red/white checks under wings & tail.

I was given a rainbow ARTF airframe too, which needs recovering as most of it has faded or fallen off as it wasn't fuel proofed on all joints.

I'm using the engine many of the Panic Team run, the SC 91, on 10% Contest. I'd advise at least the 60 to get anywhere near the Panic's forte, with too little power its just another nothing special Bipe.

A 91 and suitably large tank does NOT overload it in weight or power, its still a real floater, and I use triple rates with 90 degree each way rudder and 60 degree each way other surfaces with 50% expo as usual flight rate.

The only care you need with a 91 and low pitch paddle fun fly prop is to set an idle down to shed enough thrust to land it!

Here's a Video of mine from 2011, nothing special flying wise, but you'll see how a 91 bird can still float (not literally!!) It was filmed with a head mounted Mobius set inverted as a dashcam, and so flipped, the date is therefore upside down at the top!

It's in 1080HD so set that and full screen.

**LINK**

Anyone remember the Panic Display Team's party piece of having one of their models break up in the air (shock, horror, screams from the crowd!) only to find the detached top wing flown safely down on its own and the remaining monoplane fuz left to carry on with the display? Brilliant laugh

• 3 weeks later...

Maiden flight over the week end, and out again last night. Every bit as good as I remember Panics being.

Had a change of engine last minute, The 65AX would have been too big (for me), but the 46AX too small, so have fitted a JEN 57. Same size as the 46, and seems to suit it fine.

I'll post some flying shots when I have the camera with me.

Andy

• 2 years later...

The Panic is currently in production (to order) from Avicraft, along with the Moronic and Frantic. The wings are now supplied with ribs and spars in the traditional way, but with the members notched to aid construction. No need for a wing jig!

The Mini series are also being produced to order.

Give Rob Newman a ring on 020 8290 1238. yes

Pete

• 1 month later...

I'm in NZ and not about to make an international phone call just for an initial enquiry.

Does anyone know when the new Avicraft website is likely to come online, or indeed what the current costs are *likely* for a Moronic? (yes, I know you cannot speak for the store; I won't hold you to it, just an indication is fine!)

Any kind of kit is hard to get in NZ; almost all models here would be plans or ARTF with an associated eye-watering price tag. I've had two Moronics and loved 'em both; the original balsa fuse version being better than the glass fuse, in my opinion. My current 4 or 5 yr old WOT4 has flown its dash and due for replacement.

Cheers

The Moronic is such a great plane it will be worth knowing what the kit costs.

However you could consider the SLEC Funflyer kit or SLEC Limbo Dancer ( both available in i.c. or electric versions) or another kit Wot4 as replacements. I think all these planes are now with built up wings rather than foam. For overseas shipment it would be worth asking what the shipping cost is for 2 or more kits because it might not be much more than just 1 kit. Selling off the spare kit might be worthwhile.

For a plan version of a funfly model there are many plans available and you could consider something like the Kanga which can be obtained as a plan sent by e-mail if I remember correctly. Martyn is often here on the forum so a message to him might produce a plan you can print out yourself.

Of course you won't find a free plan of a Moronic or Panic or Gangster because the designers of these great flying models guard their finest designs well!

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have any photographs of the ORIGINAL Phil Newman Panic?. Just bought a very old version off Fle-bay and there are no cut outs in the ailerons, the tail feathers are all solid balsa and the fus is built like a brick xxxxhouse. Lots of ply and no cut outs??. Nothing like the kits available. Either a very well modified or built from an old plan???. embarrassed

Thanks Bob I'm sure you are right. I thought the wings were built up but just checked and they are foam with capping strips. Do you have any idea how old it might be, just for fun?. I intend putting an Irvine 53 in it for a winter hack. I also have a 61 to try, then where did I put that 91?.

Thanks for the info I knew someone would know. Cheers. smiley

Avicraft advertised the Panic in RCME April 1981 but it wasn't mentioned in their very comprhensive advert in April79 so somewhere between those dates for the kit I reckon. Possibly they were flying it as a prototype a bit earlier.