Fats' chippy build

Fatscoleymo

Thought I'd better get this started before the off!

My father started me off with a life long love of aircraft and all things aeronautical. He was in the Observer Corps during the '39-45 war (polio as a child left him with a bad leg so he was not able to join the forces) and I grew up during the 50's obsessed with all aircraft and the wonderful variety of planes being produced in those days. Put together what seemed like hundred's of Airfix kits (Revell too) and Keil Kraft chukkies, rubber powered, then onto control line with little cox 049's etc. A little time in the ATC.

Then : bands (I play piano, love New Orleans piano and RNB,) girls, marriage in '75 and still together, 1st RC set in '76, a year crewing in Helicopters on North Sea oil support in 77-78, work , 3 kids, gliding at Yorkshire Gliding Club, Sutton Bank, then a PPL in '88. Got back into RC in the late 80's and have remained involved on and off ever since. Chairman of the Darlington club for a couple of years in the early 2000's. All this time continued playing in bands. We retired to SW France in 2005. I am a member of the local club here.

My Dad loved the Chippy - he had a soft spot for them. I'm going to model a French registered one, in the classic Red/ White/ Grey scheme. I have done a little detailing in the past - some rivets, fasteners and the like, but am really looking forward to doing a lot more. I'm going to fit nav and landing lights, and the sprung Oleo's, sliding canopy if possible, and hinged cowl sections I hope! ASP 61 fs will be powering mine, with on board glow. Taranis will guide it.

Good luck everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, just checking in. After a month or so 'off' for various reasons I'm back with rebuilt tailplane and elevators (originals just too heavy) and have the wing built (what a long process) and am presently trying to fit the flaps and ailerons. Hope to make a start on the fuselage later in the week.

Some fantastic builds going on, learning so much. Thanks to Danny and all for invaluable help.

Anyway while looking for a suitable spinner I came across this guy: www.tag-model-spinners.comm and ordered one to fit the chippie.

It's a good job, beautifully made, thought others might be interested.

dscf1011.jpg

dscf1012.jpg

dscf1016.jpg

Hi Terry - all quiet up here - in the man cave an awful lot at the mo. Seem to have spent all day trying to get one aileron and one flap fitted!!!

To order I just emailed Graham a copy of the spinner sketch that's on the plan, with sizes after checking the cowl. You have to tell him what prop you'll be using, the hub thickness of the prop is important. I also checked by how much the propshaft with locknut on the ASP61 I'm using extended beyond the prop and he made the spinner a couple of mm longer to ensure there was room inside for it.

It was 55 Aus $ - about £35 +postage. (My son lives in Aus. and was coming over, so I had it sent to him for 10$ and he brought it with him.) It's very light so postage to europe shouldn't be much.

Not cheap but will look the business, and in the scheme of things I think it's worth the dosh. (But don't tell the wife!)

Steve

Hi Fats,

Glad to know you are still in there (the build not the man cave!) Thanks for the spinner info. Chris's link takes you onto an interesting build if you have the time. The plastic spinner may be a good route for *leccys* but porbably not strong enough for 'the real thing'1 I watched a 'Pathe' news film recently about Cranwell in the 1950's - none of the Cipppies had a spinner on at all!!!

I'm finding the build challenging - apart from not finding enough time until now i have just built a second right aileron and flap and then completed the left one too. The first right aileron and flap one came out too deep and it wasn't possible to reduce it without serious weakening.

Grey and misty here - onwards and upwards......

Terry

Hi Terry, why wouldn't the plastic spinner be strong enough for IC You have only removed the skirt? the cone retention is the same??

Anyway glad you are finding it challenging, and I mean that in the nicest way, that's how it's supposed to be imagine how easy other stuff will be when you come out the other side.

I am sorry that I didn't study the plan a little better first, I feel quite bad about that. Possibly we would have chosen a different one to build, or maybe even bullied Ton into designing us an accurate one!

And if it makes you feel better my flaps and ailerons were too big too, I think I followed the wrong line on the plan embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

Well I've nearly got a finished wing!!! This has been the most 'challenging' wing I have ever built and am I glad I can move on soon to the fus. Got a few bits to finish off, trial connect of the servos (I've gone for mini's in the wing), sevo access hatches to sort etc. and leave the finish sanding till later. Yahoooooo!

dscf1041.jpg

Hi Danny - I thought that if it was plastic/nylon and had some of the overall structure removed it might be more likely to have a weakness. I do know these spinners and they are not brittle like some plastic ones so could give it a go and save the dosh!

Don't keep on beating yourself up over the plan choice Danny - in my case I already had the plan, cut parts, canopy and cowl. If you and Chris hadn't come along with this 'educational' offer I would have still built it. This way I'll end up with a much better result - so thanks.

Steve - I think you are ahead of me now! blush! I am getting more done at the moment and am back on course......

Terry

Well.... today I mostly been a plonker planker.

dscf1069.jpg

This is my 1st attempt at planking in decades of building - I really enjoyed it, very satisfying. Thank you Danny for encouraging me to have a go.

For those still to do this, I used a quick way make the chamfered strips. Glue a piece of balsa to the bottom of your Kavan/ Master balsa stripper to angle the blade. dscf1071.jpg

Then after every cut turn your sheet over end to end and cut again on the same side. You will produce, very quickly, lovely little trapizoidal strips with a constant chamfer the entire length.

dscf1045.jpg

Initially I used a piece of 1/4, but it was too severe a cut, so I just reduced the thickness until I was happy with the result. If you need to increase the chamfer at the tail end to accomodate the tighter radius, just sand that section to suit. Remember to flip the sheet, otherwise you'll produce parallelagrams!

I'm sure Danny and others will know this 'trick', but thought I'd let you know about it.

Steve