Fats' chippy build

Fatscoleymo

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour mes amis, et meilleurs voeux.

I've not got very much done over the last few weeks, but I've sorted out a steerable tailwheel, basically following Danny's example with a couple of tweeks. I wanted the load from the wheel to be carried firmly by the hardwood mounting block with little chance of it working loose on account of my usual 'secure' arrivals.

So I epoxied in an M3 blind nut:

dscf1075.jpg

I then silver soldered the bent piano wire tailwheel leg into an M3 solder coupling.

dscf1076.jpg

Then filed a flat on the end of the thread to enable a firm fix for the collet/ brass arm. I replaced the grub screw in the collect for a cut down M3 socket head cap screw to get a tighter fix.

dscf1078.jpg

The leg is screwed up into the blind nut making sure it's nice and free to rotate, and the collet then tightened onto the thread from the rear access hole.

dscf1082.jpg

It needs the cosmetic detail adding, but looks like this.

dscf1083.jpg

The threads transfer all the load into the mounting block and the M3 blind nut ain't coming off in a hurry.

Steve

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 28/12/2014 14:45:21

Danny - in the past with tailwheels I've just allowed the piano wire leg to rotate in a brass tube, much as i think you have done, with the brass tube epoxied into the mounting block. The piano wire has had a little vertical movement within the tube, and it has eventually worked the brass tube loose, or bent the tube, binding and restricting rotation.

This way there is no vertical movement as the M3 coupler is threaded into the blind nut - I'm just hoping it's just another little potential problem overcome. Time will tell!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've been carefully crafting (fiddling) the wing fairings the last couple of days, oh joy, is that fun!

Anyway while bodging away I realised that the 3 view drawing 3063 shows (both top and underside views) the rear fairings concave, but all photos I have seen clearly show a convex curve. How can a detailed drawing get it so wrong? Unless of course I'm having another senior moment.

Antbody else noticed it?

Fats

Doesn't help John because you are viewing from slightly behind the wing. Its well confusing isn't it? I think the line should be nearly straight. I certainly wouldn't trust Dennis on this. However most of the other 3 views are also wrong. I think Ole Rossel's is correct (the one I showed above).

Now do I correct mine crook

But 3063 is drawn from directly above and underneath and from that perspective the fairings should be drawn convex methinks.

Most fairings seem to be concave (my Fournier rf4 for instance), it seems the natural way for the wing to blend into the fus. I just wonder if the draughtsperson got it wrong.

Thats a great photo Danny.

Thanks John, shows it convex as it is.

Anyway enough nitpicking, plenty to do!

Fats

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just got back from a week in Blighty and have now got a couple of months (before we're off to Oz for the big lads wedding) to push on with the build.

Got the fairings done (just a little bit of tidying up to do).

dscf1090.jpg

dscf1103.jpg

dscf1102.jpg

dscf1097.jpg

dscf1096.jpg

So onwards we go!

Looking forward to fitting servos in fus, getting the two halves together and getting everything covered and glassed. Then detailing can begin.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well, like a few others on this build, my Mojo's been lost for a while. Seem's like nothing is 'do-able' without trying to figure out another 7 steps in the sequence after!

I was mulling over the akward rudder horn / tailwheel horn fitting method during the glueing of the top and bottom shells together. Anyway a combination of Danny's closed loop and John's (Stones 1) piano wire in a snake inner have done it for me.dscf1120.jpg

The slightly slack Kevlar threads on the closed loop to the tailwheel will allow a little flexing to keep strain off the servo. The flexible wire (20g I think) with a z bend on the end will allow me to fix it to the rudder horn and then slide it in through the snake inner as I bring the shells together for glueing.dscf1122.jpg

At the servo end I've copied the system that seems to be used on a lot of ATRF's. It's just the brass inner from an electrical wire joiner. Allows adjustment in assembly.

Glad to have got this headache sorted.

Onward!

Fats