Fats' chippy build

Fatscoleymo

Made a couple of seats and a bit of detail in the cockpit. Airbrushed black over aluminium tape then added years of loving abuse from many aircadets boots. I've gone for the well used feel - on the basis that my mistakes will look part of it.

dscf1130.jpg

dscf1126.jpg

I'll add a few bits and bobs and the instrument panels and with a couple of pilots in there I'll be happy.

Should be able to join the top and bottom shells together soon!!! Whey Hey!!

Fats

• 2 weeks later...

HI everybody.

Does anyone have the recommended control throws? Can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Got a fair bit done recently:

Rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps covered and taped. I used glue drops for the stitching on these - I'll give the thread stitching a go on the wing 'cos it looks better from what I've seen of Martin's and Danny's photos.dscf1164.jpgdscf1168.jpg

More done on the cockpits;dscf1201.jpg

Tips on wings done with lights and wiring installed - still to tart up the lights;dscf1184.jpg

And at last the shells joined!

dscf1196.jpg

She's starting to come together now

dscf1212.jpg

Next job to get some solartex on the wings.

Fats

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 27/02/2015 10:28:30

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 27/02/2015 10:29:16

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 27/02/2015 10:30:51

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 27/02/2015 10:32:39

That really does look fabulous well done!! I bet you are well pleased you added the tapes and stitching it really adds wonderful depth to the model Hope mine looks half as good

I hope we can get all these together one day, I am so impressed with how you are all doing, and really chuffed. The project has already achieved exactly what Chris and I hoped

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny - yes well chuffed. The stitching and tapes are well worth the time and very satisfying when completed. I know yours will look far better - who ya trying kid! Be nice to see a few together some day as you say.

Again ... anybody got the recommended control throws. I've got one 'tight' aileron that is fouling on the shrowd and can only get about 15mm max throw up. Will that be enough da ya think?

Fats

Hi folks

Chippie control deflections. These are the deflections that I'm using on Chippie no 1. They give me a smooth flying plane with scaleish loops & rolls. There is enough elevator power for a 1G stall from which it seems to fall into a spin quite reliably . I only have 2 positions for the flaps so thy are either up or down. The flaps certainly bring it down when landing. I have not detected any change of trim when the flaps are lowered & so far they seem to make the model less likely to spin. So far all landings have been with flaps down. Cg is as per plan & I did not build in any washout.

Elevator : 15 up, 15 down.

Rudder : 35 each way.

Aileron; !5 up, 10 down.

Flaps : about 30 deg.

I've only had about 15 flights so far so it's still early days.

Hope this helps. It's a safe starting point.

Cheers John

Colin and John thanks for the control throw measurements - looks like I'll be OK with the aileron.

Terry thanks for the kind comments - bout time you started again ain't it? You slacking down there in the Lot?

Martin, seeing as I borrowed the cockpit details from Danny and yourself, please feel free to borrow anything you'd like - I'll be delighted! The coaming is just large bore fuel tube painted black. The LED lights are mounted in the cut off end of a propelling pencil case. Always a way.

Fats

Got some more done.

Engine, tank, throttle linkage, cowl all sorted.

dscf1214.jpg

The onboard glow battery and switch sit nicely under the tank.

dscf1239.jpg

Ply 'lid' encloses them with throtttle servo mounted on it. I will fit a silicone tube extension to the exhaust to the underside of cowl - will keep the worst of it off the servo.

dscf1241.jpg

Rx battery will sit on t'other side - depending on balance checks of course.

dscf1242.jpg

Very happy with cowl and spinner.

dscf1216.jpg

dscf1215.jpg

Wing topside all covered, stitched and taped.

dscf1237.jpg

Same on underside.

dscf1238.jpg

Did my 1st bit of glassing last night - the underside ot the tailplane. It's come out good - Danny's peel ply method leaves a great finish. No photos - nothing to see! (with my camera anyway).

Fats

I've been glassing lately - tailplane (or increasingly referred to as the horizontal stabiliser) and fin (vertical stabiliser???) done, and both top and bottom of wing. (Lateral lift producing structures???)dscf1267.jpg

Onwards to the fus............

I've found that is you leave the finishing resin in the mixing pot it goes off more quickly, leaving less time to apply before it starts to thicken up. The 1st side of the wing took me about 50 mins and I was getting a bit nervous approaching the end as the resin became harder to use. My mate Don told me the chemical reaction heats it up when it's all together in the pot speeding up the curing, so the second side I tipped the mixed resin out onto a page of an old Machine Mart catalogue (good tip John Stonesthumbs up) and it certainly slows down the curing. Much more relaxing to use. Cheers Don, cheers John.

Fats

Well, last post for a while - off tomorrow to Melbourne for the big lads wedding, away 3 weeks.

Got all the glassing done, went pretty well (for me) and can recommend the peel ply method that Danny showed.

dscf1271.jpg

Last job I did was to spray Halfords yellow filler/primer on the underside of the wing and commence the rub down. I've used a little of the Squadron white 'putty' filler in a few area's - that's still to rub down. A bit more work when I get back then onto all the rest. Lots still to do.

dscf1275.jpg

I expect you all to stick in while I'm away - no slacking now!!!

Gudday t'all

Fats