Workshop Layout

Martyn K

I am just about to replace the workbench in my shed. Historically, my workbench has always been about kitchen worktop high. This is because I tend to stand up while I build. Although I have a bar stool in the shed, it is very rarely used - in fact its more of a hazard as I occasionally knock it over.

When I am away camping, I take 'peanut' sized models (13" span) with me to build.

When building these, I tend to sit down and I find that it's easier to work like this on small models and this tends to show in the quality of my building.

I don't have space for two workbenches of differing heights so would welcome the views of traditional builders - should I sit down or stand up? How do you build?

BW

Martyn

Advert

Thanks. I find I need the space to walk around anything bigger than a few hundred mm. That's why I am worried about lowering it too much - too much bending.

I should have mentioned - its a wall mounted bench - not an island bench so I only have access down one side

I have two benches in each workshop, ( I know just plain greedy) one in each is lowered to sit at the other, slightly higher for standing. I stand at all of them crook

However some tasks like weeding stencils, and very detailed work I like to sit, and like you Martyn I either use a bar stool type chair at the tall ones or a normal chair at the lower ones.

Cheers

Danny

For larger projects I think standing is better. However, when determining your working height I think you need to consider both your own height, so that standing for longer periods is comfortable, and also your eyesight i.e. the best focus distance that your eyes work at. These days, I'm on reading glasses and the focal depth is actually quite narrow, say, 6" or so. Outside this margin I find that I can't focus properly.

I'm 6ft tall so if I stand at a kitchen-height worktop I need to stoop quite low to focus properly. But then I also have a bad back so, in any case, I find it best if I lean into the worktop on my chest and then my back gives me least gip and I can focus my eyes properly.

For detailed work, for instance soldering battery leads and so on, I sit. Then I'm able to rest my forearms against the edge of the worktop to steady myself.

Martyn, FWIW, if I were you and could only have one worktop, I'd stick with kitchen height but make sure you could slide your barstool underneath it. Just my 2 penn'orth.

Ian

Posted by AlexJ on 14/10/2014 14:56:35:

Hi Martin,

I'm a stander too. I have recently built the benches in my workshop, I kept 900mm to the top, standard kitchen worktop height. I did allow clear space for sitting, for the awkward elbow resting stuff though.

image.jpg

Alex

That's disgustingly tidy sir.............

I prefer to stand while building, but sit for things like soldering and detail painting. I'm lucky enough to have three bench areas - two are 900mm-ish kitchen worktop type height and I have cheap Ikea barstool type seat I can use with them. My main island style bench I built to 1000mm height which, with a sheet of 12mm plasterboard on top, gives a perfect building height for me - 5' 11" but shrinking as I age - and doesn't aggravate my various back twinges.

workshop 004.jpg

I find the correct 'height' for me is about elbow level when stood up straight. That's about 100 to 150 mm higher than a kitchen worktop (I'm 6ft). Any lower and my back complains - a result of 15 years as an elderly care nurse. (yes we had hoists but there are jobs where you just can't use one).

I stand when building too. the cupboards under the workbench foil the use of a stool.

Ian

As I stand for 9+ hours a day, I prefer to sit while thinking and hacking planes. But I'm not a balsa basher (yet)( I still think it's too expensive) and am really just having fun with foamy making stuff. My workshop is my living room, with a 5 foot piece of an interior door on the dining table, and a couple of sets Ikea or B&Q type free standing shelves lurking usefully around the place . I can move around the table to work on larger items, but use my 'exec' chair almost continuously once I'm home, unless I'm cutting the grass. I tend to forget things if I can't see them. (seriously)