Silver Wolf's Chipper-too

Silver Wolf

The problem with trimming out a twist using a surface deflection is that the aileron trim will change with airspeed. So if you trim for level flight at cruise, it may need a different setting for slow flight ie approach. A flight mode for slow flight would work, but I bet it wont need much.
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/04/2015 18:50:54

• 7 months later...

Its been a while since anybuilding on the chippy has been done. Although I am pleased to say that I have managed to start flying on regular basis (weather permitting). This has meant quite a lot of small jobs on old airframes to get them airworthy not to mention getting engines to run. Spent an awful lot of time getting some 4c to run, but we got there in the end.

Have maiden the legionnaire, must say the more I fly the more I enjoy it.leogionaire 011.jpg

Slight deviation from the plan with regards the undercarriage. I have made P clips from brass and bushed the hard wood block with some brass tube

pre fit uc blocks.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post that slight warp in one of the panels. I have since damped the panel and re-pinned flat to the board and it is within 1.5mm, so very pleased. I was a little nervous as the glue is not water proof and on another project found out that the wood only as to be damp!!!

fitted uc blocks 001.jpg

Wing now ready for sheeting, the addition of the support blocks certainly helped to give some rigidity to the wing to allow sheeting (as per Danny' instructions)

wing ready for underside sheeting.jpg

Hope to get the wing sheeted and centre section done by the end of the month. Then it will be flaps and ailerons next.

A little way behind some (well a lot) but still going.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:26:57

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:27:26

• 2 weeks later...

Started on Centre section and noticed that 1/4” balsa parts that we have to cut were not at 90°, so modified to suit also needed to add 1/16” to B3.

001.jpg

Marked the centre of B4 and added the two 1/4” TE extensions, whilst checking the fit noticed that there seems to be a slight misalignment with the two R1 ribs. So I measured and marked the centre of LE & TE. With these and the centre of B4 marked, this ensured that the TE of the centre section is correct and should make wing alignment to front and rear of fuselage less fraught.

centre section 002.jpg

centre section 001.jpg

Decided to have a hard wood block with a balsa top section for wing bolt and have used a bit of triangle stock on the TE as this seemed a high stress area with B4

centre section 003.jpg

centre section 004.jpg

Triangle stock to reduce high stress area

centre section 005.jpg

Ready for sheeting, will leave LE sheeting until wing fixing determinedcentre section 006.jpg

Looking good, this area on mine got a bit messy when I sheeted this area, I definitely should have waited until the wing was on the fuselage before sheeting the rear underside to ensure the lines flowed into the fuselage.

Another error on my part was not fixing a dummy flap and aileron rib so that you know exactly where the trailing edge is, there is no reference for the ailerons, wing tips or wing fairings to allign to.

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on flap/ailerons, managed to source some brass tube of correct size. Cut tube with Stanley knife after sliding over some 16swg piano wire.

cutting bushes.jpg

Drilled out horns and hinges with 1.9mm drill then spot of thin cyno.

bushed hinge.jpg

Decided to build the flap and aileron as one! thought that would help with keeping everything aligned for fitting hinges?

flap_aileron.jpg

However even though it was built flat and pinned to the board we still managed to build in some washout (warped).

aileron tip te.jpg

flap root te.jpg

Possibly due to the change in leading edge angle?

change in le angle.jpg

Will build left hand side and see where we are at.

Hi SW, my flaps are the same. There is a bit about them in my build but I came to the conclusion that they are supposed to be like that and left them as built as they seem to match the wing. It's unavoidable if you use the cut parts as all the rib angles get progressively steeper as you go down the wing.

Good looking build so far.

Nev.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Nev & Andy, the good news is that both left & right flap/ailerons are the same (well very nearly).

Looking down the length of the wing the washout does appear to be noticeable, if that was designed that way, then a clever bit of design.

wing_flap_aileron.jpg

Really seem to be struggling to get into any building, doesn't help having some other hobbies!

rh flap.jpg

Will start getting the flap linkage done next, should be interesting as I have never had a model with flaps before.

Really will try to get these done in the next week as I will not be able to get into loft after next week for a while.

Wishing everyone a happy New Year party

Especially those up north

SW

Made a start on flaps, with no fixed for location for the position decided to make jig for bottom wing surface.

wing jig rear view.jpg

It also helps clearing the under carriage legs for work bench.

wing jig3_4.jpg

Bell cranks fitted, both hopefully at the same angle!

rh flap bc close up.jpg

flap bellcranks.jpg

Formed the first z bend for flaps, first time this has happened when cold bending.

cold bend.jpg

I have annealed the wire and it as formed as per expectations, will harden and temper once finished. Brings back memories of been an apprentice in the mid seventies.

SW

Never seen one fracture like that before SW although I have snapped them before. I didn't bother with z's on my one just left them with a right angle bend and left the stubs just long enough so they couldn't unhook.

Looking good so far.

Nev.

The advice when cold working steel is to not bend to a radius of less than three times the steel thickness, otherwise there is a risk of strain-age embrittlement causing it to crack just like that. The higher the steel strength, the higher the risk. In practice we do bend tighter than that and usually get away with it, but the steel is work hardened and under heavy load would probably fracture. In practice, the loads we create aren't high, but that is what is happening.

I've done mine with separate ailerons in the wings, which made a lot of work and wasn't really necessary. I've used z-bends on the servos and clevises on the control surfaces.

Did you pick up on the problem with rapid wear in the fibre-glass hinges? Danny is putting in brass bushes, I've glued thin steel washers onto mine, to act as bearing surfaces for the hinge bolts.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up with the wear problem, I did manage to pick it up. It is one of the benefits of being behind everyone else, although it won't stop me making some of the same mistakes.

I think that I will also use washers, always had it drummed into me when I was an apprentice, never, never without a washer.

wing servos.jpg

Seemed to take an age to get the correct set up on the TX for the flap movement (never did like the programming on the ff9).

The ailerons were even worse, could not get each side to be the same. Eventually got there, but wasted a lot of time and caused some hanger rash. Very frustrating but at least lessons learned. Also reacquainted my self with bakers fluid, that just made the soldering so much easier.

aileron bellcrank.jpg

Well wing almost done, requires shrouds, LE, wing tips, and top centre sheeting. Weight at the moment is 680g including servos, so quite pleased. Not sure if I qualify for a "I survived a Dennis Bryant wing" tee shirt.

Will also need some shear webbing as I noticed that there was some torsional twist when I fitted the incidence meter on the wing tips.

SW

Wear them at Greenacres if enough interest.

Intend to replace wing dowels with steel cap head, what size. Normally use M5 or M6 slotted nylon, but was thinking about using M4 steal. Will be running a 4c in it hopefully a laser 80

Any thoughts chaps?

Edited By Silver Wolf on 13/02/2016 18:17:51

• 2 weeks later...

F3 former.jpg

Have decided to use 4mm cap heads for the wing retention.

F6 former.jpg

Formers F2-F7 fitted to crutch.

fusalage lower frt.jpg

Went to the balsa store only to find that there is no suitable wood, most of the wood is from a stalled Brian Taylor project. Most of his sheeting is 1/16, so off to order some 1/8th from Balsa cabin.

While waiting for the that I will ponder on engine, I think it is going to be a Laser, not sure if it will be the .70 or the .80

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 21/02/2016 19:57:05

• 2 weeks later...

Balsa store now replenished with fresh wood from Balsa Cabin, very good and friendly service.

balsa draw.jpg

Doublers and formers glued ready for some planking.

fuselage doubler.jpg

I can accept that the formers may need some modification to allow them to be central but am a little concerned that I have had to add wood to formers to ensure a straight edge. However despite this everything appears to be central and true, just hope that upper fuselage will match!

mods to lower formers.jpg

lower fus formers.jpg

Hope to get most of the planking done this weekend, although it looks like it is flying weather tomorrow.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 05/03/2016 12:39:42

• 1 month later...

Well lower fuselage has been planked and had a rough sand.

The fit of G2 will require a little bit of fettling, intend to remove a little from G2 where it meets the fuselage sides but want to keep the shape of G2 and add a little to the bottome of the fuselage to make up the difference.

rear view wing fairing.jpg

However I need to check the wing incidence as the fit to the wing needs a lot more work to get it to fit.

wing initial fit.jpg

I will get G2 correct and glued to the fuselage first then get the wing to match and at the correct angle.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 01/05/2016 15:40:05

Posted by Silver Wolf on 03/01/2016 19:55:12:

Made a start on flaps, with no fixed for location for the position decided to make jig for bottom wing surface.

wing jig rear view.jpg

It also helps clearing the under carriage legs for work bench.

wing jig3_4.jpg

Bell cranks fitted, both hopefully at the same angle!

rh flap bc close up.jpg

flap bellcranks.jpg

Formed the first z bend for flaps, first time this has happened when cold bending.

cold bend.jpg

I have annealed the wire and it as formed as per expectations, will harden and temper once finished. Brings back memories of been an apprentice in the mid seventies. Radius too tight mare Bend round a rod in the vice next time .You should recall how to do that He He Having bent the z now it should be work hardened enough to not need further treatment

SW