Silver Wolf's Chipper-too

Silver Wolf

• 7 months later...

Just about to start setting the wing incidence, there seems to be no information on the plan. I seem to remember that that someone mention -1.5 for the tail.

After measuring from the plan it seems that the main plane is +2 deg and tail plane 0 with the datum being 0 deg and centre of fuselage.

Any comments welcome

SW

Wire takes many forms chaps, and that looks like rolled wire, as the crystals are folded as they are extruded, and with tight bends the wire will fracture just like that. If there are not so many to make, then with that particular wire, they are best formed having heated to cherry red, but as this cannot be tool or silver steel, it should not temper, but it will still be stiff enough for a control rod. Brilliant build by the way, the wing looks spectacular.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/12/2016 11:03:20

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve managed to make a right dogs dinner of the wing seating.

wing seat gap.jpg

Set up the wing to give and incidence of 2 deg and filled the gap with balsa.

wing seat blocking out.jpg

Although the wing incidence seems correct at 2 deg, there is some centre section misalignment, I will deal with this later as the measurements seem correct.

All measurements are with 1-2mm, the only exception is that i have one wing panel 3-4mm longer than the other.

wing measurment.jpg

Pleased that the diagonal from wing tip to centre of fuselage (rear) is the same and wing tip heights within 1mm of each other (both LE & TE)

After sorting the wing seat out it looks like this.

wing seat before blocking out.jpg

Hope to start the top fuselage but must admit that enthusiasm for this project is waning. Some of this due to starting this in late 2014 and having breaks from building a flying for various reasons, although now any DIY projects will be done when I decide.

Wishing everyone happy new year.

SW

Hi SW, I know how you feel, I've had moments of self-doubt with mine, but I'm clearing the decks now to get on with the process of finishing it.

I treated my wing seat similarly to yours. The full-size has wash-out but for some odd reason it isn't shown on the plan. I think I built in two degrees,(must go back and check that) and increased the root incidence by half of that to keep the nett angle of incidence overall the same as on the plan.

Happy New Year to you too.

Hi SW glad to see you are still plugging away. A scale model is very hard work and really needs a little doing every now and then to keep up the enthusiasm. Leave it too long and getting back into the build is very hard indeed. Break it down into smaller tasks and it is much easier. I think with our busy lives a project like this is doubly harder than it was ten years ago, but it will be well worth it when you have the model in the air, on a low pass

Happy New Year

Cheers

Danny

Hi SW.

It looks like you’ve got it right now anyway and all of that is going to be covered in with the fairing.

I’ve had quite a brake too but getting back into it at the moment, pushing for the finish.

Have a good New Year. Nev.

Colin, not sure that mine has any washout other than any that might have designed into ailerons. The build has gone on too long to worry about it, if i was to rebuild the wing then i think the build would not get completed will have to careful and test the stall at a good height.

Danny, this project was always going to have a steep learning curve, you are correct about it being hard work but i think the hard part is keeping up the enthusiasm for a particular type. In my case i have been disappointed at the quality of some of my workmanship, however it has been some time since i have built from a plan or kit and it is about re-learning, leaving long gaps in building time certainly does not help. However still intend to push on, still lots to learn.

Nev, going to push on and not worry to much about getting everything perfect, after all this is a first scale model and only intended to be flying only (Not even stand off). i have always admired scale models, however i can now really appreciate the work that goes into them.

SW

Hi S.W.

t

This was NEVER A RACE , So carry on as you feel fit, it will get there in the end. I have just got my chippie out of storage and now looking at fixing the two fus half's together and then the first time of glassing a model fully, so i am sure i will make a few more mistakes before its finished, but as you point out , it is the first time for me doing scale too, so don't worry about it , there is always a way out and no where better than here for help. Yes it can drag on a bit and things don't quite go to plan, but then we are modelers, and that's what we do mate.

I bet you finish your's before me

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to do a little bit most evenings but this is proving difficult because I'm trying to do other things as well.

fuse dowel.jpg

fuse former line up.jpg

Started top fuselage doweled the lower and bottom crutches to help with alignment and added top formers, added some planking and then removed to build flat on board.

top fuse plank.jpg

Planking before any sanding for those that may not be aware of this technique.

sanded top fuse.jpg

Rough sanded using large perm grit block, never thought I would use one this size, however it has been very handy.

Well that's all the major assemblies done, although they are not 100% finished.

Need to decide on what to do next, for those that have finished then I would be pleased to have any suggestion.

Will have a browse over Danny's thread over coffee in the morning and come up with a plan of action.

SW

Good progress there SW, if I remember, next comes a lot of juggling.

In what ever order you like, you need to get both halves to this stage before you go for the big close up

dscf1544.jpg

Do as much as you can before you join the halves, it gets a bit restricted afterwards.

The dowels were a great idea.

Nev.

I'm going to fit tail plane and fin to top fuselage and will glue hinges to them. I had thought of using cyano to retain the nuts on the hinges. I have done a quick test and the cyano seems ok, also considering loctite, as this was designed for the job.

Nev, photos helped make the decisions on what to do next, will use snakes to help keep it simple.

SW

• 1 month later...

Done a little bit more

elevator shroud.jpg

Added the shrouds to tail feathers, should have done it earlier but wanted to get the build moving.

hinge extension.jpg

Added a little packer to hinge, this allowed correct spacing on hinge line.

Tail wheel as per plan.

tail wheel assy.jpg

Also added tube to rudder to help with assembly once covered.

rudder tube.jpg

Considering using a push rod on the rudder as this has to be attached to upper fuselage whilst servo is attached to lower. Would appreciate any photos of other peoples rudder installations.

Regards

SW

• 2 weeks later...

John, thanks for the photo, it helped to make up my mind and I will install snake for rudder & elevator.

Managed to get tail feathers fitted, used 30 minute epoxy mixed with micro balloons, seemed to work very well.

dscn0266.jpg

Set up started with getting wing level and ensuring that tail plane is parallel with main plane.

dscn0267.jpg

Used Dannys flag system to ensure wing tips & tail plane were aligned, helped with having pins glued to hinge which helped with measurements

dscn0265.jpg

Wings are at +2deg at root and looks like there is 1deg of washout, difficult to judge as the the incidence meter twist the wing tips if unsupported, tail plane is at -1deg.

Will fit servos next and consider engine size, which will be a Laser ( just need to decide on size)

Need to get the build moving along as I have a couple of Bf 110s on there way.

SW

Looking really good there SW

John your pic of the rudder actuation may have just solved my issues on a Twin Apache I am building, the space is so tight at the rear a decent length horn isn't possible, but angling the snake and horn as you have is really simple but very effective. Why didn't I think of that

Cheers

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Managing to get a bit done most weeks now.

Installed snakes for control runs.

dscn0270.jpg

Std servos were a little to wide for side by side mounting, so have offset them vertically.

dscn0268.jpg

Their position should not hinder a very basic cockpit.

dscn0269.jpg

Re-visited the ailerons and flaps to add rounded LE and shrouds, although extra work, it does look better. Hope to get the RH side done this week.

dscn0271.jpg

Then an initial set up of control surfaces, before sealing up the fuselage. However I'm tempted to have a look at engine and fuel tank installation before joining the two shells together.

SW

• 6 months later...

3 years after starting finally finished the wing ready for covering.

dscn0316.jpg

Made some servo hatches retained by small magnets and small former to try and maintain curvature of wing.

dscn0317.jpg

Add a centre section fairing to wing and the dreaded wing fillets.

dscn0322.jpg

TE of the fairings/fillets are a little thick as are the TE of ailerons and flaps, may trim them a bit.

dscn0323.jpg

dscn0318.jpg

Will need to decide if I just tape the two-fuselage half’s together while I get engine mount and fuel tank sorted. Also need to consider cockpit. I think the cockpit will be rather basic as I would like to join the Fury club, however I do want to finish the chippy first, at least get it covered.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 01/10/2017 19:08:01

Edited By Silver Wolf on 01/10/2017 19:08:52