Drilling in confined spaces.

The photo is a typical situation of the problem I have with drilling holes in tight spaces. In this particular instance I am using a collet holder with a 2mm drill,  bit turned by hand to drill through 3mm light ply  and then use a 4.5mm drill bit, on its own,  by hand.  In thin light ply I can manage but the problem arises when it is ply or wood in a space that is too small to use a hand. I am looking for a tool that will allow one handed operation and able to hold up to a 4mm drill in either a chuck or collet. I have looked at battery powered drill/grinder multi tools (such as the Proxxon) but you get a lot of bulk to power a small diameter drill bit. I am wondering if a flexible shaft drive is the way to go. Has anyone any advise. drilling 002.jpg

Thanks.

Edited By J.N. on 19/10/2014 14:00:59

Posted by J.N. on 19/10/2014 13:56:06:

. I am wondering if a flexible shaft drive is the way to go. .

As leccyflyer says, some flexible shaft drives do have a bit of bulk so are not always the answer in 100% of cases - but mine has got me out of trouble and done the job many, many times over in similar situations to the one you picture above

Can't recall the brand but mine was an Aldi or Lidl special a few years ago: A Dremel type tool complete with flexible drive - it was well worth the (relatively small) purchase cost for the drive alone