Wot trainer

trebor

Advert

Posted by trebor on 29/11/2014 11:54:53:

Still undecided what to do with wires weather to bend or use small screw locks dont know

img_1991.jpg

You probably realise this, but just in case...

With the throttle servo arm in the position it is in the photo, when the arm on the lower of the two servos on the left (it will be either elevator or rudder - can't tell from the pic!) moves forward, you're going to get a clash of the pushrods. That needs to be prevented!

Yes I`m still thinking about it before I cut them off. Might cut them and leave just enough to put one bend in and a clip at a later date after it`s been inspected by my club mates. The servos I suspect are a bit sad and they are making some noise even after trimming. I can trim them so they go quiet but next time I try it the noise comes back again even though there hardly moving.

Snakes are the pushrods in tubes like wot u have!

Your RX antenna (it looks like you have a single long wire one) should not be looped back like that but extended the maximum distance in as straight a line as possible (though its only the tip that is actually the aerial) ideally away from the engine

Not really! the tip of your aerial is heading towards the engine (where vibrations and RF Noise come from), would be better to route it towards the tail passing over the servos, then turn the tip vertically so its in opposition to the short wire aerial (which I see now!)

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 30/11/2014 09:52:37

Posted by trebor on 30/11/2014 08:42:58:

The servos I suspect are a bit sad and they are making some noise even after trimming. I can trim them so they go quiet but next time I try it the noise comes back again even though there hardly moving.

This is a common issue and tends not to be a dodgy servo but friction or tension in the pushrod run or at the control surface hinging exerting a force on the servo which is always trying to retain its neutral position.

If you disconnect the pushrods from the servos, does it feel as if much effort is needed to move them to-and-fro? Anything more than the slightest effort will need to be overcome by the servo as it is working.

Normally, the snake tube isn't perfectly straight so there's some internal friction - I tend to replace the supplied pushrods with a thinner gauge wire and it's surprising how much freer the movement becomes.

Check the pushrod wires for cleanliness/corrosion - it's not unknown for traces of rust to be found on the wires - and run them through a fold of fine glasspaper to clean them up. Apply a touch of silicon lubricant along the pushrod - anything which reduces the friction will help.

Make sure the control surfaces are free-moving and not binding and that they have full and free travel to the limit of the servo movement. If you check the recommended movement limits in the instructions, do the surfaces move freely to the limits? You may have to either use different servo arm/control horn hole combinations or program the end point until you are happy with the linkage.

Pete

Not a bad day, first off my engine refused to start even though it was no problem the other day. Then the prop came loose and the plastic spinner cover lugs broke off. Need a new better one. Got it going with just the prop on only we had problems buddy`ing the Dx6 with another Spectrum on a wire. We couldn't work how to program it so my instructor flew it and put it through its paces. It was nice to see and he didn't have to do much trimming.

Next time I will be sorted more with a mat to kneel on to stop my gear getting covered in mud and I will make a bag to put the wing in during transport or its not going to last long yes

Welcome to the real world!!

I never use plastic spinners, only on electrics. I always go for the good quality aluminium - they don't mark when the electric starter slips then!

Great to see it in the air, isn't it! - a good hint for the wing bags - use the foam bubble stuff used for sticking behind radiators, and gaffa tape them into a bag, around 3" larger all round than the wing. Nice cheapo wingbags!