Panavia Tornado

Mark Kettle 1

Advert

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 25/11/2014 09:26:29:

Thanks for those answers Andy, Colin and Matt.

According to a very old friend who ended up commanding a rapier battery in Germany, the nickname was "Target" but i think that applied to Jaguars, Phantoms, Lightnings, Harriers and pretty well anything with a target roundel painted on the side wink

For what it's worth having been involved in the design and development of the Tornado, there were 2 main variants. The Interdictor Strike (IDS) version for ground attack and the F2 for air to air. It was the F2 that was nicknamed Blue Circle as the radar manufacture was very late with the radar programme and the airframes were already built so just like on a model, nose ballast was needed.It should also be noted that the max speed quoted in the title is a figment of the sales brochure. More like mach 1.3 depending on configuration, and below mach 1 with stores on (mainly as many weapons were not cleared to supersonic speeds).

Damn fine aircraft though and kept me busy for most of a lifetime in work smiley

The blue circle nickname was for the adv variant as the radar was not ready at first.

Throughout my time on Tornado I never heard it called the Mighty Fin, but I have heard it several times since.

We called it TONKA, or in the early days when it was still called MRCA it was Mother Rileys Cardboard Aeroplane or Much Refurbished Canberra Again.

Enjoyed my time on it but I have to say not as much as on the good old Hunter.

Worked at Cottesmore for five years whilst we had the Italians and Germans also flying there.

I loved the "big fat buses", as some of the pilots would call it, but on take off the piano keys were almost adjecent to us in Married Quarters. The windows would shake and any conversations would have to stop for a few minutes until the thing took off. Thought my dad was going to never stop smiling the first time he heard them taking off when he visited us!

The long slow summers would drive you mad as they took advantage of all day flying and then night flying till 10pm.

Needles to say Rutland Water was a popular destination for Cottesmore families mid summer!

Edited By John F on 25/11/2014 21:38:51

John tell me about the late night flying, I live in Oakham in the second highest house in town, under the flight path SW of the base, the late night flying would last sometimes until 30 mins after midnight. Mind you when the coal was on and they passed over it was great.

The best memory of a over fly was when the 'Air Tattoo' was on and the B2 left SW with two F15's on the wing tips, low at est 1,000 ft ....great.

I just say John's reply about Rutland - about 25 years ago dad and I were fishing on the reservoir in a boat, and the 'Nados kept doing side-by-side bombing / strafing runs on the dam. We gave up in the end and had to move to the other side of the res - the shock and noise were too much for us.

• 3 months later...