Taranis learner

Martin Rowe 1

Hi

I have just about a Taranis RC. I have some queries if that's ok? If I connect one of these to by receiver

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FrSky-Battery-Voltage-Sensor-FBVS-01-Official-FrSky-Product-/191397788754?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c90327c52

would that be all I need to get the data back to the transmitor?

This what I have ordered.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=85_438_585&products_id=8137

thanks in advance

Advert

That's the wrong voltage sensor for the latest Taranis X8r receiver. I suggest you get the Taranis and then start the slow task of reading all about it. A good start is provided in the documents on the SD card with the transmitter, though you will have to read further. Getting started is complicated, however its well worth it as you can customise the system to suit your exact requirements. I've just spent most of today finding out what software to use for my own voice commands and how to implement it on the transmitter in various situations as an example.

Without buying anything else the Taranis will report back the receiver input voltage.

So if it's in a glider or i/c powered model then you're probably using a 4 or 5-cell NiMH, and the voltage will be the actual battery voltage. If it's in an electric model with the receiver powered via the ESC then the voltage reported will just be the output voltage from the ESC to the rx.

I use one of these in my electric models. The LiPo balance lead plugs into the sensor and the total battery voltage in addition to the individual cell voltages are available via telemetry. I have a voice readout of battery voltage setup on one of the tx switches (I flick the switch and the tx tells me "10.8 volts" - or whatever.)

I also have one of these on one of my models. It plugs-in inbetween the LiPo and ESC and reports instantaneous current as well as keeping a count of mAhs consumed from the battery. I find this very useful, and have voice alerts set to warn me at 500mAh, 1000mAh, 1500mAh and 1900mAh consumed.

Hi Martin,

contrary to what some folks seem to think the Taranis is not difficult to program. Indeed with support tools like Companion it is actually probably easier than a great many transmitters. But it is different and that is what sometimes catches people out. For example they look for "an expo screen" - and can't find it - because there isn't one! Control refinements like throws, reversals, expo etc are handled very differently by Taranis - as are mixes. Quite soon you will start to feel that OpenTx's way of handling these things is actually much more logical and very much more powerful. But, it does take a little getting used to and getting your head round.

Basically my advice would be to pretend to forget what you already know about transmitter programing and approach this fresh, a blank sheet of paper. Carefully read through the instructions, download (and read!) some of the many excellent guides and follow some of the on-line video tutorials. Be aware, Taranis is not a Tx you can ignore the instructions on and "just figure it out", you have to understand it. Its not hard, but it does need a little investment of time from you. With that you'll very soon get the hang of the basics. After that the sky's the limit in what you can do!

Have fun with it - its tremendously liberating!

BEB

The instructions (sort of) are on the SD card in the back of the TX inside the battery box. Simplest solution at this stage is to take the SD card out and shove it directly into the computer. Another good starting point is to go through some of the videos on Youtube. Search Taranis and plenty will come up.

As BEB points out, its a steep learning curve but does get easier so worth persevering with.

Edited By Andy48 on 01/12/2014 21:27:36

Hi Martin.

I'm not sure just which software version they come with now. But there's a great quick start guide here which applies to the original software version.

It would pay dividends to watch some of Scott Page's videos here too. They are very good.

Finally, there are usually an instruction book and some videos on the microSD card that's supplied.

Ye sure is. I have just been reading the summary on wiki. In a nut shell it's a engineers toy. Suits me being a engineer.

tomorrow night I will try retracts and variable flap positions. I fancy putting flaps on the twist pots.

My overal aim to to be able to program flaperons. I tried a few times on spectrum but it was never spot on.

If you want plan old six channel receivers what one is good? Lower the price the better!

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will be asking a lot more

Anyone want a DX6i?

TBH Martin I tend to stick with the X8R's for just about everything! They are very cheap anyway - and you only save a couple of quid by buying lower channel ones. The reason is that internally all X-series Taranis receivers are the same number of channels believe it or not - only the number of connectors varies - not the basic receiver. So if you buy a "4 channel" it can cope with the full compliment - but only has 4 servo connections

BEB

TBH I like the X series Rx's. That way I only have to but S.Port telemetry units, which saves any confusion over what's compatible with what.

The X6R isn't much cheaper than the X8R but does offer some space saving, has an analogue voltage port available and seems to come with two alternative types of antenna.

If you're an engineer, you'll be enjoying telemetry soon enough, don't assume you'll not bother with it.

The other thing I'd suggest to do right at the start, is to think about standardising a control switch layout for all your models. Obviously you can assign anything to anything, but if all models are different, it gets confusing when flying.

For example, I tend to have retracts on SF, Flight modes on SE, Flaps on the left slider, speaker volume on S2 and my electric flight safety switch on SG. It's not important what you choose, maybe something similar to your last Tx.

This also makes setting up a new model more of a copy an old one and tweak technique. Some folk even set up a "standard model" in Mem 60 which they use as a starting point for all new ones.

Have you looked at OpenTx on the PC yet? I find it easier to program in there than on the Tx.
My advice there, is to save versions regularly to the PC and use different file names (mine include the date) So you can always go back.

OK I'd better expand on that.

All X series Rx's send back the Rx voltage to the Tx.

The X6R has a jumper plugged in that carries that voltage. If you unplug this, you can measure another voltage, (but you loose the Rx voltage telemetry obviously).

However I haven't done it, so I don't know what the max voltage is, we might well need a simple voltage divider if we want to measure LiPo volts for example.

I buy mine at T9Hobbysport

I think that analogue port uses a 3.3v maximum input hence the need for a voltage divider to drop real world voltages down to this level. For LiPo or LiFe packs I prefer to use the FLVSS smartport voltage sensor plugged into the battery's balance lead, that way I can set up an alarm based on the lowest individual cell voltage as well as the pack total.

So many possibilities eh Bob? thumbs up

I use the FLVSS in a couple of models, and very useful it is too. In fact I swap them between models, for the occasional battery check here and there.

I seem to like the FCS-40A current sensor best of all though, for models it suits, as it gives us amps, mAh used and a voltage reading, all in one sensor.