Should models be available from certain types of sellers?

Advert

Posted by Ross Clarkson on 12/12/2014 14:53:26:

I've just visited a well known Model website we all know very well, clicked on Jet Turbines because I'm a rich kid who loves boys toys.

Found a Flying Legends Hawker Hunter worth £2,400.

Got to the payment page which only requires paying by paypal or a credit/debit card. 'Daddy, I would like that so i can fly it from our garden??' Ok son, here are the payment details or I will buy it for you.

Thats where a bit of common sense should fall on the adult

There is no mention of ANO, no mention it is not a toy, no age limit on it, it produces 80-120 newton' of thrust and weighs 13kg. There are no restrictions recorded anywhere.

I really do not see what the difference is.

The no mention of anything online is exactly what we are talking about, if said details were included in the box, like suggested above then at least some effort is being put into pointing said buyer in the right direction. I also think it would be an idea if online sellers were made to list requirements for each model, such as suitability, bmfa/lma certs required, insurance details and where to get them, is the model that large that the LMA have to get involved as in over 20kgs scheme.

The main problem with the big boys toys, well any of them really, are they demand a lot of cash, and ANY outlet, whether online or the high street, isn't going to want to lose a sale of a possible few 1000 or a fair few 100's of £'s.

I'll say it again, I don't know what the answer is, but it is a very worrying problem

I'm dreading the day we see a headline such as "man kills passerby with model jet bought from internet", because the minute that happens, all jets/flying models will tarred with the same brush and probably banned.

Yes, but the point being made by the OP was that of should Costco be allowed to sell such models rather than the usual suppliers.

Well yes, why not.

That day will come when the awful thing occurs, if it hasn't somewhere in the world already, but that doesn't mean the correct legislation or rules are not in place now. I think the balance is perfect as it is and pretty clear to be honest.

We always want to promote our hobby and get many more people into it so creating more legislation, more requirements, and reducing suppliers etc.. may be a a case of 'Be careful what you wish for'

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 12/12/2014 18:55:16

I disagree about creating more legislation, just making people aware of existing legislation is enough, like as mentioned, a single printed piece of paper inside every model box pointing buyers in the right direction, at least they can't claim ignorance then.

Agreed, resellers are a bigger issue, and one I wouldn't like restrictions put on myself, again, they need to be educated so they can advise?

At the end of the day, my concerns are the same as the OP's, the safety of the unaware and I trust it is from everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Have we the answers? probably not, will there ever be one? again not likely, but an interesting subject none the less

Those that worry about sales like this represent the responsible side of RC Flying (otherwise you wouldn't give two hoots about it!) and we probably are all aware of the dangers and the procdures we should go through before committing avaition, But ask yourself the question if as a responsible flyer you wanted to buy one of these how would YOU prove you were responsible?

So how would you propose any "responsibility tests" by a retailler that you could pass?

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 12/12/2014 19:23:41

I don't think you could actually put in place a responsibility test, without introducing some sort of licensing system, not do I think it necessary. If the punter is just educated as to his responsibilities that come with such a model, I would say then it comes down to that punter to make an educated decision.

I havn't been confronted with this problem all that much because of the nature of my business, but simply talking to my customers I can get a feel of whether they know their stuff or not. But that is one experienced modeller to another, I understand a none modeler selling one would probably be as baffled by the lingo as the uneducated buyer, hence a simple printed leaflet to explain all.

Infact a lot of the manufacturers do put such information in at the back of their build instruction on artfs etc, maybe not the ANO etc, but making people aware "this is not a toy etc" sorry I use etc a lot teeth 2

I think it would be wise for UK suppliers/retailers to supply a leaflet inside kits, perhaps produced by the BMFA. Maybe that is a project that the BMFA could commence?

By providing a leaflet, at least people will have had the opportunity to read it and investigate their local club and BMFA etc.

How would any test be enforced? The ANO is the legal requirement, its worked perfectly well for many years. All the national bodies, plus government etc are aware of us as a hobby and what whould and should'nt be done. That is the main thing.

The reality is that most people fly responsibly and most people fly in an organised club environment. Education in the appropriate way is the least worst solution.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 12/12/2014 21:45:00:

A "responsibility test" is a utter impossibility and not workable unless something like the A & B tests were made a legal standard and effectively became a "licence" to buy.....

Please dont tell me thats a way we want to go?

Not only that, imagine the amount of paper work us innocent modellers would have to do, just to buy such a plane!

As others have said, what's the difference between buying it at cost-co and ordering it online from SloughRC/TJD Models/Sussex Model Centre/Steve Web Models/etc/etc/etc/etc....

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 12/12/2014 22:19:08

If we want the model industry in this country to be seen as responsible then we should get our retaliation in first. Surely the bmfa, retailers and importers could form an RC body that would promote all that is good about the hobby and not let the screaming media faceless masses ruin our pastime.

I started this thread and then have not been able to get near the computer since. Thanks for the interest. Ross, although my heading implied should Costco (I didn't name them) sell these models I actually meant were these suitable models to be sold in this type of outlet.

John

Hi chaps, been out today and visited two national toy retailers both who base themselves on retail warehouse parks. I had a look at the RC section. Lots of cars for sale, and lots of gaps on the shelves. Not many gaps in the aero-section. I say aero, there was one palm sized foam quad thing and a few plastic helicopters, no bigger than 12" rota diameter.

Both stores were packed with people and very few were interested in the helis.