baa ... humbug ...

avtur

I think I'm generally quite a sociable type but I must admit I do find it hard to get into the Christmas spirit, I think the commercial side of the celebration has got way out of hand.

However a couple of days ago I was forced to confront the on set of Christmas ... and if I'm honest I quite enjoyed it.

My older daughter is a primary school teacher, the school had decided to take all pupils (nearly 250) to a pantomime. They were short of parent helpers (there is a ratio they have to meet) so I volunteered ... well I'm I'm a parent ... all be it of a teacher rather than pupil ...

So we were packed into several coaches and off we went to see Cinderella at the Plaza Theatre in Stockport ... I had nine year 4 pupils to keep my eye on.

The main character was played by Ted Robbins and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it ... "oh yes I did" ... "oh no ... ..." well you know how it goes ... its probably 20 years since I last went to a pantomime ...

The performance started at 10am, which by adult standards is rather early, however the 1200 + children weren't bothered ... and as for the noise that so many children can generate when encouraged by Mr Robbins to make as much noise as possible ... well it must have been off the scale ...

I have to say the experience has managed to get me in to the Christmas spirit rather early ... nothing like a 'panto to get you into the mood ... highly recommended!

Advert

Dickens summed it up admirably through the lips of Old Scrouge

“Every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!”

And that goes especially so for Supermarkets who think we need Xmas to start in September and then add insult to injury by putting on Bings rendition of "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" on repetative loop in-store........

I was dragged out of the workshop to ice the Christmas cake. Don't ask. I am in the middle of building a six foot wing panel so my mind was elsewhere on my assigned task. The icing went ok, just like putting filler on, but my suggestion that I decorate it with a marzipan wing section as a hint to Santa to get a more modern form of transport produced an expression I am informed can be described as "lips like a cat's backside". And silence. All I can say is, celebrate New Year's Eve to Abu Dhabi time, that way you can be happy that it's all over, and guests can all bog off at half nine, and I can get back to normal.

Once the kids grow up and leave the nest I seem to dread it... I did the round of Christmas fairs, school plays etc. and enjoyed them and it built me up for the day. These days? Endless repeats on TV, guests pigging out on your food and drink and memories of last Christmas in incredible pain with a back injury.

And now I've developed toothache.

Posted by cymaz on 15/12/2014 19:25:56:

I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. New job and days off before the big day. In my old,job I spent the last 7 years starting work at 6pm Christmas Eve and finishing Christmas Day at about 6.30 am.

I've never met an ex-elf. cheeky

Xmas day schedule.

Get up and take presents for Mother to open (35miles away)

Take Mother to brothers house.

Present opening time (mostly Mother).

Xmas dinner.

Sit in front of TV and loosen clothing.

Mother asks if Queen is on yet.

Watch Queen, followed by cups of tea and more food.

When tutting noise gets loud take Mother home (it's dark now).

Go home and start Xmas proper with some model making.

Have early night so that Boxing day can be spent building all day.

Did I mention I don't have a TV.

I have a life !!!

smiley

It was double man driving to the parcel sort hub from Cornwall to Birmingham. The hub was about as festive as a cold mortuary. Though the only bit of cheer my mate and I ever got up to on Christmas Eve was writing on the back of the trailer in the dirt, " hang on Santa, here I come"

And, no, it wasn't working for Yodel!

Edited By cymaz on 15/12/2014 22:12:55

Edited By cymaz on 15/12/2014 22:17:37

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 15/12/2014 16:45:35:

And that goes especially so for Supermarkets who think we need Xmas to start in September and then add insult to injury by putting on Bings rendition of "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" on repetative loop in-store........

while selling hot cross buns

John

I was talking to a good friend of mine who's a bit older than my 57 years, and I thought he hit the nail on the head when he said "Christmas is not the same as it was, because every day (for most people) can be a Christmas day". What he was getting at was that when he was a kid in the 50s, in a working class household, Christmas was really looked forward to, as it was only then that special food was on the table, and presents or any other major purchases could not usually be afforded outside of that time.

With year-round consumption of consumer goods being the norm fueled by easy credit, I think he has a point.