Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth

Fancy replacing those G10 horns with something more scale? Here are mine,

The elevator horns are bent and ready to be silver soldered. I bent one cold and other one after annealing. Conclusion, I will do that cold.

And then there is the left side Rudder horn, all soldered up , just needs some cleaning and polishing.

In the brass sheet you could spy the windshield and windshield brackets as well20160629_094744.jpg 20160629_120308.jpg

20160629_120340.jpg

20160629_095021.jpg

Advert

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Manish,

Little progress has been made, I have started on the flying wire spacers but that is all. The winter has been relatively mild in my part of the UK and I have flown most weekends. Plus I have got a couple of new ARTFs and I have been away from home with work quite a bit. I really need to get the enthusiasm back for the Moth. How is yours.

Peter.

Manish,

This is what I mean by the spacers, the bar that spaces the four wires apart mid wing. I am not sure what the correct term is, I recall seeing it somewhere. I have just finished the pair of them minutes before posting this message. I have built them per the plan, but they appear to be larger in diameter than scale, they will do for the time being. It is 8mm dowel in 8mm aluminium tube, the dowels having spigots turned on the ends to fit inside the tubes. This is the first substantive progress on the Moth since April 2016. I will now try and spend some time on it again, although I have another ARTF I am having a hard time leaving in the cupboard.

dsc04989.jpg

Edited By PeterF on 08/03/2017 21:28:43

• 3 weeks later...

Moving on to some more details. I have wrapped the undercarriage fairings in litho plate. I have added a litho plate quadrant to the rear doors. I have added a hinge for the luggage door and a litho plate section over it. The door will not be opening, I through this would be the easiest way to simulate it. A slot was cut into the ply for the hinge to poke through. I have added rivets to the hinges on the cowl side panels and top section. I have simulated a couple of pushrod covers for the front of the engine, they sit nicely in front of the ESC. I have painted the cockpits and engine in the correct shade of green. The motor and ESC have been fitted properly now, as has the Rx. I tested the power set up and it creates a healthy draft, this should have no trouble flying. I have this big list of things to do with a rough order to do them in, but I ma not sure if it is the best. However, I will just amble along doing bits and pieces until I think it is OK to cover.

Litho being wrapped around undercarriage fairingsdsc04992.jpg

Litho being wrapped around undercarriage fairingsdsc04993.jpg

Undercarriage re-assembleddsc04994.jpg

Quadrant on rear doorsdsc05001.jpg

Dummy pushrod cover and rivets on hingedsc04996.jpg

Litho plate luggage door and hingedsc05018.jpg

Cowl being painteddsc05015.jpg

Motor and ESC mounteddsc05016.jpg

Rx installeddsc05027.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have made up the slats on the upper wings. These are formed from 0.5mm aluminium sheet gently formed around various diameter dowels until they fitted well. I added some riblets to support the slats. These were from 1/2" balsa. I drilled out 3mm holes and glued in lengths of 3mm dowel for the screws. For the slat mechanism covers I have some 1/4" balsa sheet cut to shape and at the top I have glued on some 1/64" ply with the mounting lugs. These are then screwed onto the riblets. I have not put dowels into the riblets because the screws go into the leading edge and main spar spruce strips.

dsc05033.jpg

dsc05048.jpg

dsc05052.jpg

dsc05105.jpg

dsc05107.jpg

I did manage to gather some courage and rip up the bottom sheeting to access the control tunnel and installed the servo (a 10 mm thick 7 Kg torque KST (97 oz/inch) that operates a G 10 crank fitted on a G 10 plate with metal tube bearings and also installed the idler bar assembly that was very graciously and kindly made by you Peter along with the wing mechanism.

Also fabricated some clevises to attach the wires to the crank and idler. I will use the clevis pin with cotter pins from Switzerland (those are in mail) so that the hook up is convenient..

Here is a picture of the clevises I made out of brass. Need to make two more for the elevator. These will have brass thimbles for the cables

clevises for crank.jpg

Peter the slats are looking good, now you need to make the holes that are at each end of the slats (total of four, two long cutouts and two smaller more circular ones). Let me see if I can post a picture of what I mean

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 02/05/2017 11:20:21

Manish,

Good to see you are progressing as well.

I have been working on the cockpit. The instruments panels are complete, these are from Mick Reeves. They did not fit exactly into the Falcon fuselage and needed some minor trimming to fit as they were too wide. The panel had a clock in the lower left hand corner which was part way outside the cut line so I have glued a piece of the plastic offcut on and mounted some of the labels over it. The control quadrants are from Aerocockpit. I have machined up some knobs for the doors from acetal rod in the lathe. Finally, I have made up the headboards for the backs of both cockpits from 1mm black plastic sheet and attached using the very small 1mm screws from Mick Reeves. I know the cockpit details are not true to scale, but they are representative of Tiger Moths in general, the model is not going to be high fidelity scale, but a good club scale level.

dsc05120.jpg

dsc05124.jpg

dsc05126.jpg

dsc05113.jpg

dsc05128.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

What are the two metallic rectangular pieces that are fixed on the turtle deck just ahead of the cockpit doors?

Also did you trial fit the windscreen on the fuse? I think the ply sheet for the middle turtle deck that was CNC cut in my kit is at least 10mm shorter than what is shown on the plan. On my model the width at the top (where screen is fitted) is 4.9 cm where as per the plan it should be 6cm.

Manish,

The rectangles on the turtle decks are I believe reinforcing pads that the instrument panels are screwed to, or other fixture inside the cockpits. They are on the prototype I am modelling but not on all moths. See photo below.

I have not yet tried by windscreens but I have checked by middle turtle deck vs the plan and it is similarly 11mm too short in the middle. The cut out on the front turtle deck for the crash pad is much deeper than the one on the middle turtle deck on the real plane, see the photo. However, on the model the middle turtle deck has been cut with the same large scallop as the front turtle deck, reducing room for the windscreen. This will need a patch or a new turtle deck.

7706064122_43976a8418_k.jpg

Manish, thanks for the drawing, I did not have one with dimensions on so this is useful.

I have been adding further details to the cockpits. I have made up the joysticks and the leather gaiters, which are from real leather, very thin. Just cut a semi circle where the circumference of the semi circle was about 15mm larger than the perimeter of the holes in the control tunnel. This meant that it was about 5mm larger diameter than the holes in the control tunnel. I glued the straight edges together to form it into a cone, snipped the top off for the joystick and glued the bottom into the control tunnel. The joysticks are from dowel and the handles are turned from aluminium, with a spigot to fit into a hole in the sticks. I have added some plastic rods to simulate the connectors on the various control levels, not hugely scale but representative. I have added wires with springs for the elevator trim lever and a wire for the slat locking lever. I have made up some seat cushions because the plane I am modelling has these. They are from soft balsa sheet and strip to make them light. I then covered them with tissue and Poly-C resin. I have coloured them with a permanent Sharpie marker pen and this mixed with the Poly-C appears to have given them a satin patina. This has turned out well, I was originally going to paint them matt black then coat them with Poly-C, but saw the marker pens and tried that. Finally, I have added the harnesses, again the plane I am modelling has had the original Sutton harnesses replaced with something a bit more modern. The ones I have are from Aerocockpit, they were a tan colour when bought, more use of the marker pens have coloured them black.

I am starting to think about moving the Rx, perhaps make the luggage door opening and pop it into there. The only thing that concerns me about that then is the power supply from the ESC to the Rx needs an 80 to 90cm extension.

dsc05135.jpg

dsc05136.jpg

dsc05142.jpg

dsc05143.jpg

dsc05147.jpg

dsc05150.jpg

He turned up for a late night inspection to check out the build. He is pleased with everything apart from the slow rate of progress and the fact that he had forgotten how little shoulder room there is. Were people really that much smaller 80 years ago he mused.

dsc05151.jpg

dsc05154.jpg

dsc05155.jpg

dsc05156.jpg

Great to see the detailing in progress Peter, and I spy that you have added bit of ply on the rear cockpit turtle-deck to make it better smiley

Did you use styrene rods for the various connections between control quadrants etc? Or just plain old piano wires?

And I also like the front cockpit handholds, formed from Ali?

Happy to help on the ASI, I am putting the spring with very thin piano wire so as to make the indicator move in aristream.