Aerotow meetings 2015

Could anyone tell me please, if there are any aerotow meetings open to visitors.

We do a lot of towing, have done for many years, mainly now with electric tugs, but towing anything from ST Foxes, Easy Gliders etc, through to larger models like the Parkzone Ka8, and even my 1/4 scale Top Model Discus, and a couple of us would like to come across to the UK to experience a "proper" aerotow meeting.

Even if we don't participate, it would be good to see the larger, more impressive gliders and tugs.

Thank you.

Edited By simon barr on 22/01/2015 16:31:14

Advert

Simon, look forward to seeing you, here's a couple of videos from Seige Cross (no more alas), Middle Wallop and Woodsprings. Bring some gliders you will have a great time.

and here's some tips http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/HintsTips/Articles/10-AerotowTips/10-AerotowTips.html

They are all on the scale soaring web site that Andy linked to above. The international event is on 25/26 July. Check out the scalesoaring forum as well there is a section dedicated to events. At the moment there is a little doubt about Middle Wallop for this year due to the heightened terrorist security situation restricting access to the airfield. Fingers crossed though because it is a cracking venue and the Ghost Squadron do a great job on the tugs.

OK I'm coming clean here. I've been fascinated of aerotowing for a while hence why my yet to be Maidened 1/3 cub with 75cc twin has been fastracked to completion! So this is where I need advice. Do I simply attach some dynema line . I do have a tow attachment built in. What length should the line be. Angle of climb ec . I'm literally ordering a few free flight foamies too play with and then going to ask a close friend to pilot my little eflite ask21 behind the cub. My cub will certainly have the punch too pull many larger gliders but where do you start? I'd love to travel up and down the UK just to be able to tow. Should I practice on own and with friend or whats the best approach? YouTube doesn't give great tug feedback or advice sadly

Regards
Scott

Good thread Simon, I'd like to bring a few gliders to some meetings this year too.

Scott, sorry to plug a mag but Andy Ellison's article on towing in last year's Special is a really useful guide. We started aero towing at my club last year and just got stuck in. We were towing 3-4m span scale gliders using 50-100cc tugs - a Wot4 Xtreme and a Hangar 9 Decathlon. We started with a 50ft line but quickly realised it was far too short so doubled it to 100ft. We use the thicker builders line/cord that, from memory, has a 30kg breaking point so it's easily up to the job.

Better to have a release on the tug and the glider so either pilot can release in the event of any emergencies, I once towed a glider the pilot of which had his ailerons reversed and he was so busy struggling trying to cope with his errant glider that he didn't choose to release and nearly pulled us both down into a boundary hedge at the field. Had I not had a release on the tug I'd have lost the tug which was a 60cc job on loan to me from AH Designs

Posted by Euan galloway 1 on 22/01/2015 16:34:49:

Simon,

Hello I will be hosting an aerotow event at my club near Penrith on the a66on Easter Sunday 2015 come along ,

cheers Euan

Hello Euan. My apologises for not acknowledging you earlier, but your post has only just popped up...blush

Scott with a 75cc twin I think 4m gliders will be easy. Have a look on scalesoaring.co.uk lots of info there, e.g. http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/HintsTips/Articles/TowReleases/FittingRelease.htm

Here's my Ampley towing up a parkzone Ka8, the last part of the video is onboard and you can see the tow release on the tug. Note first tow was with a short line, 2nd tow was with a builders line (cut down to circa 100ft due to length of out runways) which is what is regularly used. I put some fishing swivels in. You can see it's quite easy to overspeed a foamy.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 23/01/2015 09:41:45