Lightining F3A Plane

iqon

Back to the front end, another gamble, G160 still out of stock but G110 is same prop adapter dimension so decide to fit the spacing piece at back of spinner

first picture shows its made from 4 pieces, this reduces the end grain on finished item...

98.jpg

99.jpg

101.jpg

and how it finally ended up complete with air inlet holesmiley

506.jpg

Advert

Next part is the worst for me, dont like doing wings........first is the stab, this is using - Dave Snow design , details can be found using links on page 1....I would not have even attempted without a jig....

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

The sleeve is a page from a magazine, and worked well...

205.jpg

206.jpg

207 (2).jpg

I did not imagine they would turn out this good, well pleased with the results and game me confidence to start the wings

Air outlet hole done.....

507.jpg

Motor and ESC arrived. if you use the Yep then you need a programing card - thanks again GM...

500.jpg

Now I have everything it was time to decide on how I was going to cover, was an easy decision based on HK covering being out of stock once again, and I quite fancied a go a glassing.Having watched Danny Fentons vid`s re covering .....more weight but more ding proof......

Have used 25g cloth and Polyester resin....smelly and takes a long time and needs to be at least 20c for this to cure, luckily SWMBO was away that week....

1 tip I read somewhere on the net is to go over the area with a hair brush, this helps the cloth to stay put. and dont forget to wear gloves as the cloth will fray easily....

Time to start painting, never done anything like this before, used spray paint in tins....and plenty of them

having asked for advise on here I purchased Tamiya and frog tape.....and in my opinion the Tamiya tape gave a professional finish.....

600.jpg

601.jpg

602.jpg

603.jpg

608.jpg

609.jpg

611.jpg

612.jpg

I did want to purchase a slotted spinner for this for more air in but as you can see it would not have worked

613.jpg

616.jpg

2c.jpg

2b.jpg

2a.jpg

The lettering was bought through Ebay from - signsbypost.com and was delivered within 2 days....smiley

I just want to add - if you build this for F3A - use carbon wing tube and dont glass at least not all of it.....mine is over the limit.....If i changed the wing tube and fitted smaller batteries it "may" be under......I dont do competitions ,so it makes no difference to me, I would rather have it more suitable for my flying skills...IE ding proof....smiley..cheeky

Thanks Bob. The exit hole is big enough, only had the one flight so far and everything cool, however as you know the more you get used to them the more it will get pushed so will be keeping my eye on it...smiley

PS thanks John . will let you have a go at carrying it tomorrow.....cheeky..

Edited By iqon on 25/04/2015 19:19:15

Thanks Martyn, thanks Peter

I always new I could build it lighter , especially if i did not glass and use carbon wing tube, other`s have come out flying weight around 4.6 to 4.8 kg

I`m sure mine was around 4.2kg plus batteries

It`s deffinatley an interesting build and I am sure i will be building another at some time in the futuresmiley