Frsky with 8xr and old servos

Martin Rowe 1

Hi

I recently purchase a old 100" scale B25 bomber. I have just been checking it over to see what work needs doing. All the servos seem good apart from the ailerons.

the model has a servo in each wing, unfortunately they have been built in so I don't have the model number. They appear to look a lot like a short but wide flat servo.

when I connect the servos they will sometimes move to the end of their travel. Only ever one wing and not always the same wing.

help?

Advert

If it is those servos, they can't be very old as they've only been out for a couple of years. I have a couple of the analogue version that I'm just putting in a plane they seem quite good.

You might want to check that you haven't got a wiring problem and that the voltage on the signal cable is too low at the servo so it's not seeing a signal voltage, they aren't on a Y lead are they? if so that and long leads might be the issue and plugging them into the rx individually might be the cure.

Is this with a decent battery Martin?

When you say "when I connect the servos they will sometimes move to the end of their travel", what happens when they don't? do they work?  If they're stationary, do they resist a manual twist? do they buzz?

Have you tried each servo individually on a servo tester set to neutral? Are they on a Y lead or a channel each?

Do the connectors have any visible corrosion or oxidisation? Presumably there will be a soldered joint inside the wing as the standard servo leads wont be long enough. Could it be the joint?

I've found that Corona servos are superb.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 27/01/2015 23:38:37

I had a similar experience recently whilst setting up a 4 servo large E glider wing. I was adjusting the control mixes etc on my Taranis with an old Rx nicad that I keep for bench testing plugged into the X8R when for no apparent reason the servos moved or ceased to move at random. Problem turned out to be that I'd ran the nicad down without noticing the voltage reading on the Tx or having set a low volt alarm.

Same as Patmac, no issues with Corona servos on long leads with a 2s LiFe, not a Frsky Rx but I don't think the rx is an issue, the servo has to see the width of the signal voltage pulse, if it doesn't then it won't recognise the "instruction". Also if it is the HV version you've put the link to it's expecting to see a 2s Lipo.

Check the receiver isn't set to high-speed mode! If you switch the receiver on with the transmitter off the red led will flash slowly for normal mode or fast for high speed mode. I got caught out by this the other week and it caused some really odd behaviour with analogue servos and is likely to destroy the servo amps quite quickly.

To change modes hold down the failsafe/bind button on the rx for a few seconds, ideally with no servos connected.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/01/2015 13:47:12