RCM&E March 2015

Kevin Fairgrieve

After the delay in getting my February issue I was pleased this morning when the March edition dropped onto the doormat.

A new build. A fantastic plan, do not forget to get next month`s issue for sheet 3.

A rebuild!

A radio system or two.

I for one am off for a good read.

Thank you RCM%E, especially the scribe`s and the staff, well everyone actually.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 09/02/2015 10:06:04

Advert

My sincere thanks to Graham for this month's editorial.

I have been in that position for the last three years with a Black Horse Spitfire needing re-plumbing a Seagull Sparrowhawk wnts the engine set up and my Bowman Magister needs putting together. None of these have been done because my workbench is taken up by my part built Lysander.

As Graham suggests, I'm going to pack it away and get moving with the other jobs and, with the the weather surely going to inprove, I can get airborne.

Thanks Graham

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/02/2015 15:46:59

just received my FIRST of many subs. rcme. well impressed. Took up the offer of 1st 3 issues for £1 plus online digital. £12.75 every 3 months thereafter. I am so glad you split the yearly payments into 3 monthly. Prior to that I couldnt afford the 1 off yearly payment. will definately be keeping this subscription going. One thing though, went on to digital back issues and it looks to me you need to know which issue contains what you are searching for. Is there a search system on digital to look for a subject (eg search for APS 52 fs) without knowing which mag it was in?

Nothing really against the magazine, but I am considering cancelling my subscription. Maybe I am just a bit jaded with it but lately I have not enjoyed it quite so much. I do not seem to find much new or that interests me. As I am on a limited modeling budget I feel I could use the money elsewhere.

As I say I think its a fine magazine but I have been reading it 8 years and I think its maybe not me anymore. Perhaps a break would do me good.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 09/02/2015 18:39:16

I've now had 2 reminders for my "digital and print" subscription which expires in April. At present I have access to all my subscribed copies on both my iPad and my PC.

If I were to forego renewing my subscription, and resubscribe as a new subscriber at a later date, I'm unsure as to what will happen to my existing digital copies, as they are accessed using my present "subscriber number". With a new subscription I'll have a new "number".
Will I lose my present copies which I "own", since I've paid for them?
Maybe I should repost this in the other thread about subscriptions?

Edited By Essjay on 10/02/2015 12:07:53

I can't see things changing, Andy, unless more engine manufacturers come into existence and a sustainable market for their products miraculously develops. The modelling world, whether one likes it or not, has moved on and many people have readily accepted the advantages of electric power and voted with their pockets.

The magazine is a commercial concern and the owners look to maximise their revenue, naturally. A magazine that won't adapt to current trends either has a limited future or a very limited circulation, IMHO.

I'll browse the IC pages out of interest but TBH, I think they take up a fair chunk of the mag to satisfy a shrinking audience.

No offence intended - just looking at it from the other side of the coin....smile

Pete

omg....... "shrinking audience".......... that made me sad crying

Pete I totally understand how and why electric has become so popular, I suppose because I have no intrest in electric power at all and with not so much IC stuff now in the magazine, just feel I'm wasting my money on a magazine that I only read a few pages of now.

I've been buying it for 8-9 years now, like its been said, maybe a break from it will be good.

Andy

Well there is nothing stopping you purchasing the specific magazine for quiet and electric flight.

RCME has always been for modellers who are interested in all disciplines and it should stay that way. Understandably electric content has increased in the last 10 years or so.

I enjoy the articles whether they are about electric aeroplanes, IC aeroplanes, ARTF or kit built etc. I like to learn about the other disciplines because it is interesting and may be something I wish to do in the future. I don't understand why people ignore content that is not what they usually do; you could learn something new, which is good. I have preferences but I don't think they should ignore disciplines because they do not occupy a high percentage of the hobby.

If not then they should get rid of all IC engines, all kit built aircraft, all large ultra scale aircraft, all jets and just end up with foamie sport planes, since that is what most people have (apart from me!). Now I think that would be boring, whereas covering for all creates an interesting and enjoyable magazine.

The amount they put in about disciplines changes in every magazine. Naturally some will appeal to you, whilst others will not. Overall the people who make the magazines do a brilliant job in catering for all. I could not do nearly as well.

That is my opinion anyway.

CS

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 10/02/2015 22:40:51:
Well there is nothing stopping you purchasing the specific magazine for quiet and electric flight.

CS

Now what makes you think I'd want to do that, CSB? I made my choice for a regular monthly quite a while back and I'm satisfied with this one....smile

As I said, I browse the IC stuff, perhaps more thoroughly than a dyed-in-the-wool IC'er might peruse a leccy article, because one is never too old to learn and it's nice to read about what other modellers are up to.

The point I'm making is that, given the market share of IC, I think the mag presents a good range of subjects, given that it has to appeal to a broad range of interests.

Pete

I thought the point you were making was that there is too much IC stuff in the magazine, in which case the other magazine might be preferable. I'd say stick with RCME because I think it is the best quality magazine for RC aeromodellers; in my opinion. The suggestion was more sarcasm rather than a genuine suggestion.

It is difficult since for other months recently there have been people saying on here there is not enough IC content. They can't get the balance right for everyone, but I do not think they should disregard disciplines because they are not universally popular. There are a lot more people in the hobby these days, so there will be more people interested in a variety of different aspects of the hobby.

CS

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 10/02/2015 23:47:54

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 10/02/2015 22:40:51:

RCME has always been for modellers who are interested in all disciplines and it should stay that way. Understandably electric content has increased in the last 10 years or so.

I enjoy the articles whether they are about electric aeroplanes, IC aeroplanes, ARTF or kit built etc. I like to learn about the other disciplines because it is interesting and may be something I wish to do in the future. I don't understand why people ignore content that is not what they usually do; you could learn something new, which is good. I have preferences but I don't think they should ignore disciplines because they do not occupy a high percentage of the hobby.

If not then they should get rid of all IC engines, all kit built aircraft, all large ultra scale aircraft, all jets and just end up with foamie sport planes, since that is what most people have (apart from me!). Now I think that would be boring, whereas covering for all creates an interesting and enjoyable magazine.

The amount they put in about disciplines changes in every magazine. Naturally some will appeal to you, whilst others will not. Overall the people who make the magazines do a brilliant job in catering for all. I could not do nearly as well.

That is my opinion anyway.

CS

thumbs up Agreed!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/02/2015 23:35:40