Oops that will be expensive!

Adrian Smith 1

the Walbro carby on my OS 60 GT annoyingly has plastic fuel inlet nozzles and in the process of pushing Tygon tubing on the the nozzle, the nozzle snapped! I am certain that it won' t be able to be cynoed back together unless anybody knows better. I assume the nozzle is a screw fit and wonder if I can source a new nozzle from somewhere, as I don't want to source another carby assuming that I can even find one that fits. Any ideas? I feel a bit stupid as you can imagine!

Advert

I think I may approach this a different way. The nipple I have broken is actually the pulse inlet which is set in the fuel pump diaphragm cover which is secured with one screw. Its an Walbro HDA 313 carby. Given that the inlet looks like a push in fit am am thinking I will remove the cover and warm is slightly and see if I can pull it out. As the item appears to be a metal tube/plastic composite I was wondering whether I can find some same gauge brass tube, bend a piece with my little pipe benders to form the nozzle and push fit the other end into the plate. If need be I can solder a fuel barb onto it to secure the Tygon tube. After all some Walbro carbys have inlet & outlet nozzles that are formed liked that, not with plastic. mmrmodeltech.com do the composite walbro carby inlet and outlet fittings but no dimensions are posted so I don't know if they are standard fitting.

Turning the cover over it can be seem where the inlet pipe sits.

p1020174.jpgI duly heated to cover gently with a heat gun and a couple of sharp taps with a slightly undersize piece of brass pipe and the whole nozzle came free.

p1020176.jpgI measured the pipe diameter with my digital calipers and it looks to be 3.99mm or 5/32" in old money. I have ordered some brass pipe from RC World UK and for the sake of overkill a couple of Walbro carb inlet nozzles to see if they will fit. Watch this space.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 14/02/2015 15:24:16

If you're pushing a piece of pipe straight into the cover then you will have no problems. My method is to join the two parts of a broken spigot.

Don't think silicone sealer is that good on petrol either. Wurth (or other brands) pipe seal works well, this is a methacrylate based product. Granville Petropatch available from motor spare places in completely petrol proof, it's a bit like the good old "red lead" pipe jointing compound.

In you case it's not directly in petrol anyway so you should have no problems. Good luck.

Oh, and dip your pipes in boiling water before pushing them on and they will be more pliable.

Shaunie.

Good advice Shaunie thanks mate. I will be pushing a pipe straight into the cover as you say and I with give some heat to both parts and cross my fingers. I don't think it comes into contact with fuel as such as it seems to provide some sort of pressure from the crank case to the fuel diaphragm pump. But then I am no expert.

Have a look on e bay.you can buy brass 90 degree nipples for a couple of pounds or straight ones for pennies. Simple job to tap a thread into carb cover and you have a proper repair . Don't forget that the engine depends on the pulse to deliver the fuel so a bodge here can have a serious effect on reliability .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 15/02/2015 10:47:19

Right received a couple of Walbro WT fuel\pulse intake nozzles today in the post from mmrmodeltech.com who by the way gave great speedy service. Fortunately the OD of the brass pipe is exactly the same as the discarded one. The only thing different was the length of the brass shank on the replacement outlet is longer so I will have to make sure I don't tap in in too far. To help avoid this I laid the fuel diaphragm plate on the edge of a piece of 2" x 1" hardwood batten and heated the plate with my heat gun for about 20 seconds. I also dipped the brass shank of the nozzle into boiling water and then I tapped the nozzle in using a piece of hardwood dowel and a car body builder's rubber hammer. Hey presto it went in fine.

p1020178.jpg

p1020177.jpg