Multiplex Fun Cub

trebor

I'm getting a bit congested round here. sad

img_2064.jpg

I just wondered if these connectors might do the trick to connect my wing wires or will they take up too much room ?  Try this one http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__9638__MPX_Connector_Male_Female_10pairs_set_.html

Got carried away with painting a stripe. I'm not too keen on the stars n stripe decals with the kit. I got a small pot of yellow but after seeing the frog tape its reminded me of my favourite colour Kawasaki green, what do you think.

img_2065.jpg

img_2068.jpg

Edited By trebor on 10/03/2015 08:16:34

Edited By trebor on 10/03/2015 08:18:33

Advert

I tend to use so-called Ashlok multipin connectors for wing to fuselage links. Thye were initially sold by a small part time company run his spare time by a guy known as Ash but he closed down some time ago. I think Fighteraces sell them now. When Ash closed down I stocked up on the connectors and pins. They certainly cut down on clutter and have the advantage, as the name implies, of having a positive lock which makes accidental separation very unlikely.

My name for Kawasaki green is puke green Being an old traditionalist I prefer British Racing Green and have had both cars and bicycle frames sprayed in that elegant shade.

Geoff

The only reason I like Kawasaki green is it stands out a bit more than others. British racing green used to be branded bad luck on the road because it blends in with green things like trees and hedges. laugh I've had Japanese, American, British bikes and I prefer British yes I've still got the motorbike I passed my test on, a Matchless 500 unfortunately now missing the side car. One thing that impressed me was the quality of the aluminium up until the 70s you can polish it forever. Modern stuff is rubbish to polish up.

Now on the second fuselage, as I had all the bits and a good wing it would be daft not to carry on. Made an alteration to the layout so it gives me plenty of room for the wiring. I cut a hatch behind rudder and elevator servos as there is enough room to pass all the wires through the middle of the servos allowing the receiver to be mounted in its own compartment.

img_2077.jpg

To glue the next bit I will have to do it outside as I've developed an allergy to the glue. surprise

Trebor, glad to see that you've not given up on the Funcub, even if buying another fuselage does make it a bit more expensive!

Good idea to put the receiver in the rear, it tidies up the battery compartment and may help to reduce the potential addition of weight in the tail to achieve the correct CoG.

The Funcub is so sturdy (barring standing on it) that it should give years of service, so the cost isn't that high.

I'll keep watching, GDB

PS Just off to the field now to fly mine.

Edited By Caveman on 17/03/2015 10:44:58

Posted by trebor on 17/03/2015 10:19:23:

To glue the next bit I will have to do it outside as I've developed an allergy to the glue. surprise

I get the same 'heady' feeling when using cyano in the amounts needed to glue foam fuselages together but I use limited amounts of it without a serious problem. For my current (wood) builds I'm using Wudcare 5 minute waterproof PVA for much of it. It's grabs quickly but is seperable with care for a longer time if you make mistakes (good for me!).

I think UHU Por works with Multiplex foam IIRC. That's less of a problem with fumes but if you leave it 15 minutes before joining it really grabs with no chance of final adjustment.

Geoff

I've been using the Zack glue, tried Screwfix's no nonsense which would react with the foam in large quantities, Toolstations medium strength suitable for Pva was ok. Whichever one I use makes my nose run and itchy tingles constantly.

I found a way to get round the glue allergy, just stick toilet roll up my nose. Looks like I have a nose bleed to passers by but I don't care. I glued the fuselage outside though to be on the safe side.

I am now trying to set my flaps up on a 3 position switch, any one got ideas on surface movement measurements for landing and take off ?

Posted by trebor on 19/03/2015 13:06:39:

I found a way to get round the glue allergy, just stick toilet roll up my nose. Looks like I have a nose bleed to passers by but I don't care. I glued the fuselage outside though to be on the safe side.

I am now trying to set my flaps up on a 3 position switch, any one got ideas on surface movement measurements for landing and take off ?

Flaps aren't needed for take off or landings unless you want to play. I just use mine for slow flying at low altitude at about half and full flaps for steep approaches. My flaps are on a transmitter slider and so continuously variable.

Geoff

Hi Chaps, I've been following this thread with interest, I have several Mpx airframes and I think I'm finally going to have a FunCub to add to the squadron. The only disappointment with my Mpx planes is how quickly they become scruffy, every landing on damp ground will leave muddy marks, impossible to fully remove and I'm not that into the camouflage look - so, has anybody found anything to seal the surface without dissolving the foam and/or adding significant weight. Oh, and I don't want to spend a fortune either! Thanks in advance.

Hi Chaps, I've been following this thread with interest, I have several Mpx airframes and I think I'm finally going to have a FunCub to add to the squadron. The only disappointment with my Mpx planes is how quickly they become scruffy, every landing on damp ground will leave muddy marks, impossible to fully remove and I'm not that into the camouflage look - so, has anybody found anything to seal the surface without dissolving the foam and/or adding significant weight. Oh, and I don't want to spend a fortune either! Thanks in advance.

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/03/2015 21:28:46:

Flaps on slider here too (M-Link Cockpit SX)

You've lost me now .

Gurth, I did spray the first fuselage with acrylic paint, water based paints should be ok. That Elapor foam is quite good I even used Screwfixes No Nonsense paint stripper on it and the foam was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the first flights in today, found it very light and gets knocked about in slight wind but all was well till the 4th battery. Lost control,nothing worked, the plane just spiralled down into the grass. As we approached the plane still no control on the sticks then control came back as it re connected to the receiver. Very strange. Played about with it at home and it kept loosing signal, traced to intermitant bad connection in the battery where supply wires come out if you moved them a loss of power occurred. Then it would come back on all by itself angry trouble is when it came down no damage to the fusalarge but it's bent the motor spindle crying