1/3 Cub Refurb Time

scott finnie

I feel it's time for my 1/3 Cub to undergo some changes. I shall be bringing her to Greenacres so don't want to go to deep with surgery. First of all i'm not sure what the covering is though it looks like it has been painted on top of before. This cub was originally built in America then shipped here. Since 1990 it's never been touched up and until recently had very old electrics onboard. I need advice on the lightest model paint and possible techniques to use. I've been replacing the pull pull system today and servos, and now i feel the cockpit needs a lot more. I plan on a pilot and onboard cockpit camera. I'm attempting to cut a new windshield out of a dog anti bite cone. I've found fatigue cracks in epoxy and wing ribs that will be carefully extracted and used as a template for new ones. She currently flies nicely but i'm not going to continue flying a particularly large and dangerous aircraft with major defects. I'm continuing tonight to cut small slits on the wings to inspect each rib. But any advice on painting and cockpit detailing would be very much appreciated. I will get better photos tomorrow,

Regards Scott

cub refit.jpg

cub refit2.jpg

Advert

Watching with interest Scott, I love my 1/4 club, did a revamp on her about 18 months back, did a lot to it, and spent fair bit on her, but well worth it, in fact I have now brought an old super cruiser cub 7ft wingspan, I would love to know what kit it is, its a good few years old, I've stripped it all down this week and ready to do a revamp, good luck with yours.

Andy

Forgot to add mine is the Balsa USA 1/3 kit, yes i will add photos along the way, i have a few cubs but have never flown anything so smooth and docile. 70cc twin onboard too and 24x8 prop. Very scale flying characteristics. I'd like to keep it that way too by the complete refurb. I'm glad i decided to now before summer since some of the cracks here and there filled me with fear. I do plan however not to fit cowling. I have one here but feel it takes away the impact of the pretty twin up front and hampers my ease of tuning

Scott

Having done a refurb or two, I can only say if it was me then I would strip all the covering off. There maybe something broken in a critical area still covered. Sorry.

I usually think - I was installing a servo/switch/extension now...would I put that in ( that's already there). Usually I toss out switches some wiring and check the battery for black wire corrosion.

I get my window plastic from Christmas cracker boxes and the like.

Will watch with interest cool

Thanks Tony and Cymaz i'll do both, I do have a feeling theres more hidden issues hence the reason i'm still up at 6:10 am going over everything and chipping away at old epoxy or whatever it is!. I shall post more photos later of what i found behind the Union Jack Flag!!!!!

Scott ps off to sleep theres only so many hours i can concentrate

No Percy, over 20kg is when you need to involve the CAA through the LMA. Over 7kg used to be the limit where you had to fit a failsafe on throttle but most radios now have failsafes built in so every model should have it set regardless of weight. There is going to be a few Cubs at Greenacres this year, with a few 1/3 scalers to boot. I too would strip off the covering Scott, it'll make a proper scale job then!!

Ian.

Scott, window plastic from multiple packaging sources, I bought a Stanley Knife which came in that horrific clear plastic that you need to open with a Stanley Knife.....but makes great long lasting windows. I promise you will never put a screwdriver through that stuff, especially if you actually wanted to !

Edited By Steve T on 23/02/2015 12:31:22

Hi Ian yes it looks similar to the Model Tech kit though it has Balsa USA wrote inside the fuselage to the rear. I'm getting the impression as i go along that it maybe two kits as I can't find photos of either kits that are the same. I am however missing a cub hub cap and have located 2 from a Balsa USA kit in America. I'll post a few more photos later since I'd like to get to the bottom of the kit mystery

Ok so far progress has been slow though i've been busy and also writing a checklist for the cub and a refurb budget! I've taken the engine off and cleaned the carb, new plugs and fuel lines (fuel lines where hard, cracking and yellow). The rubber bands around the tank have become a permanent fixture too. I'm also looking at a simple smoke system consisting of 500ml diesel/oil tank , inline pump, one way valve and inlet into one of the exhausts. I've so far rebuilt the servo tray that houses the elevator and rudder servos, This is also where my receiver sits and Dualsky vr mini voltage regulator. Im planning on making simple but hopefully effective exhaust deflectors so i get less grime on the sides of the aircraft after flight. These i'm planning on using aluminium sheet welded to both exhausts. I have a big question though and my first mistake. Whilst i was removing the ht leads i didnt mark what way round they go, its a twin boxer style engine so they fire at the same time. Not sure if i can cause major damage getting them round the wrong way? Anyway's the rebuild will pick up pace soon with many more in-depth photos to follow, starting lightly.

Ps Paul that flat four is lovely laugh

Scott

cub refit 6 fuel line.jpg

cub refit 5 fuel tube.jpg

cub refit 4 engine.jpg

Hi Scott,

As a flat twin it does not matter which lead goes to which plug. It does not even matter whether it's a two stroke or a four stroke. As you say it's a simultaneous firing engine and the leads will probably be at the opposite ends of a single coil anyway. A four stroke flat twin would just have a wasted spark at the end of the exhaust stroke. The only one that is different is a four stroke flat twin with both big ends on a single crank pin, I believe Saito did one like this.

Shaunie.