New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise

Stuart Ord

Advert

Posted by Peter Christy on 27/01/2016 18:29:37:

Without wishing to sound like a conspiracy theorist, I did hear a rumour that the major German car manufacturers were trying to build a network covering all the major roads, through which their cars could report back to base any breakdowns or accidents. --

Pete

Ha! Germans finally recognising their cars are not really that well built. He he.cheeky

Can I borrow your tin hat Peter?

Edited By Andy48 on 27/01/2016 21:00:19

A quick post to detail my findings.

I bought a Taranis Plus new in October last year, it came with 2.0.17 and EU firmware. It also came with a X8R with EU firmware.

As i'm going to need another receiver for my Ballerina build, I have just purchased another X8R that has come to me with the new EU LBT firmware.

So, yesterday, I set about upgrading the Radio to 2.1.7 and flashing both the radio and the old receiver with EU LBT.

Firstly, after backing up the radio, I kept getting the 'Firmware is not compatible' message when using Companion 2.1.7 so thinking I may be going too many versions ahead, I downloaded 2.1.0 and tried to go to that first. Strangely, using 2.1.0 it flashed the radio, but when I checked version, it had flashed 2.1.7. ??

I then flashed the EU LBT firmware to the radio from the SD card (the main reason to upgrade from 2.0.17 to 2.1.x was because 2.0.x does not let you flash either the radio, or, via the Sbus lead to a connected RX from the SD Card)

With that done, I was expecting to be able to bind to the new RX...... Well, that didn't happen. And now I couldn't bind to my original RX either, no surprise there.

So, first off, I connected to the new RX and flashed the EU LBT firmware, and on trying to bind, I was expecting to see D16-EU as my only option. Guess what. I've now got the old D16, D8 and LR options to bind with.

I went on to flash the old RX and all seems to be working great.

Setting up the Telemetry again was a bit of a pain, but not too bad, its just different in 2.1 as opposed to 2.0

I hope the above makes sense and it helps somebody.

Cheers

Mark

After installing Companion-2.1.7, did you check that you had the right radio type selected? (Taranis, Taranis Plus, X9E, etc). That can get reset when you upgrade Companion, and might explain your error messages.

I did mine when 2.1.6 was the current version, and it went smoothly. However, I no longer flash the radio using Companion, preferring to put the firmware on the internal SD card, and then flash directly from there. You do need to be careful that you have chosen the right firmware with this method, though! From 2.1.6 to 2.1.7 was straightforward.

Yes, upgrading from 2.0.X to 2.1.X required some faffing about with the telemetry settings - and telling the Tx what to display on the front screen - but it is now even more flexible than before. It just keeps getting better and better! smiley

--

Pete

Hi Peter,

Yes, I checked and double checked that. It just didn't want to know. When I tried with 2.1.0 it went straight through. I agree about the telemetry, once you know where to look to set it up, it's much more powerful. I've been looking through the Open TX university, and apparently, the RX battery low voice warnings are now not set as default, if you want a voice warning, it has to be set up as a logic switch.

That's tonight's job sorted. smiley

Details are here: **LINK**

Cheers

Mark

I've been upgrading my two trannys and receivers to the LBT software, and I did have a lot of problems binding a new receiver. Turned out to be a faulty battery pack I'd plugged in with the voltage not high enough, although the light on the receiver came on. Most odd! The main problem however seems to be having the tranny too close to the receiver.

Actually using the link from the back of the tranny to the receiver and the onboard updating system is simplicity itself, and with existing models, no rebinding is needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Intriguing news from Germany... It seems FrSky are going to actively prevent user made RF firmware upgrades to TXs and modules moving forward. Nothing decisive on RXs at this point...

English translation of the key post courtesy of Google...

"Hello everybody,

We as importer had these problems and have therefore begun today to deliver again. There were two problems with the last delivery from the beginning of February.

1. Software flash (of OpenTX) not possible with the first part of the delivery. In the second part of the delivery but already.
2. (RF) Firmware flash is not possible in two deliveries

The problem with flashing the new software could be solved by re-uploading the bootloader. Here seems something went wrong at FrSky.

The problem with the firmware we could not solve, and had to wait for response from FrSky. Today we now have the final say. The problem is not a problem as equating the new applicable from 1 July new radio standard ETSI complies with the LBT 300 328 Version 1.9.1. Thus, a customer can not change any more firmware.

According to current knowledge, it is for the Premium Dealer be a possibility in the future to make firmware updates.

Thus FrSky already meets the latest requirements.

Best wishes
Andreas Engel
Engel Modellbau & Technik"

I think that lost something in translation, but the gist of it is to be expected. There is a European directive about to be enforced that is intended to prevent flashing with "non-EU compliant" firmware, and also ETSI is due to be "upgraded" to 1.9.1 late in the year.

I had a quick look at 1.9.1, and at a first glance, most of the changes seem to be about how various parameters are measured, rather than a change to the parameters themselves. Clearly this is important to test houses, but of little relevance to end users.

Far more important is the EU directive about restricting the ability to flash with non-EU firmware, which I think is what the Germans are referring to, rather than ETSI itself.

However, none of these regulations apply to equipment manufactured before January 2015 (NOTE: That's *manufactured* - not purchased!). On such equipment it is still legal to run the international firmware.

However, I can understand why FrSky don't want to get bogged down in this nightmare of pointless regulation, and have said "Enough! *WE* will do any RF firmware updates in future!". Its the simplest way out for them.

I don't believe this affects the flashing of OpenTx, which has nothing to do with the RF protocols. Its only flashing the RF modules that is restricted by the new regulations.

Incidentally, its not only RC being affected by this, and not only in the EU. There are a number of WiFi routers out there that can be flashed with open-source firmware to make them more secure. Naturally, the powers that be don't like this, so in the US (and coming shortly to Europe), you won't be able to flash your WiFi router either.

As an aside, Frsky have already started geo-blocking downloads of non-compliant firmware to EU countries, much to the annoyance of the Swiss, who are not EU members! What will happen if we vote to leave the EU is anyone's guess, but Ofcom seem to take a much more relaxed attitude to these things than they did in the bad old days of the GPO!

Now, where's my tin-foil hat.....????

--

Pete

Usefull info. So, can anyone confirm that the firmware copy I have for the X8R is the one required for changing an EU 2015 X8R Rx back to the rest of the world(international) setting. Got two that need changing. I've kept my Taranis and all other Rx on pre EU change firmware. Firmware copy I have is X8R_131105.frk

Thanks Pete, it looks like their already doing the geo-blocking because the version you quote is all that I can see that is international. My version of the .frk file has a date of 13/2/2014 but the one you quote has a much later date. From the comments it would appear that the change was to address a problem with SBUS, something I dont use.

The distributers like T9 are going to be overwhelmed with people wanting modules flashed if the recent poor performance by FRSky is not improved upon, How many versions of the "new" firmware have there been now ?

And if we the comsumers have to pay for this it will be another dent in FRSkys' reputation. I now longer recommend them to friends - even the geeky ones.

To be fair to FrSky, they are trying to keep up with an ever changing regulatory regime. At least you have the option to upgrade if you want to, and no-one is forcing this on anyone.

Personally, I've not had any issues with any of the firmware releases, EU or not, but I do think the current LBT release is probably the best of the lot. For the EU, anyway.....!

--

Pete

Posted by Sean Cull on 20/02/2016 14:30:38:

The distributers like T9 are going to be overwhelmed with people wanting modules flashed if the recent poor performance by FRSky is not improved upon, How many versions of the "new" firmware have there been now ?

And if we the comsumers have to pay for this it will be another dent in FRSkys' reputation. I now longer recommend them to friends - even the geeky ones.

Indeed. And if this unconfirmed rumour is true, then updates are also now also actively prevented for all new RXs moving forward. Short term I suppose we can all move to LBT, but what if there is another regs change in future and no compliant firmware can be downloaded or applied to RXs and TXs by the end user? Do the dealers have the capacity to handle the number of TXs and RXs they will need to upgrade? And will buyers have the stomach for such a business model?

sad

Edited By MattyB on 23/02/2016 22:06:16

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. In the middle of last year I brought the Taranis Plus and upgraded to Open TX 2.0.17 and have two rx to use on my models. I'm buying another model and would like to use the Taranis Plus (TP) as my radio gear. I was going to buy a new rx from T9 and noticed that it is now sold as LBT compliant. After looking through the forums here am I correct in thinking that if I want to use my TP I'm going to have to 'upgrade' my TP and old rx's software / hardware to version 2.1.7? And will I be able to do that as MattyB hints at?

Whilst I like new technology and the option to be flexible I have struggled with the Open TX but with perseverance done what I need to. So reading other threads about flashing tx and rx has left me a bit bemused but I'll get there. I don't want to go charging in and find I 'brick' my equipment. any advice or pointers to other threads would be VERY welcome.

I think your confusing the Tx opperating system, OpenTx, which runs the channels, mixing, expo, rates etc with the RF module and Rx RF software (pre and post EU changes on the 1/1/15). If you purchased your Tx middle last year, 2015, then everthing should be compatible when buying new now.

Tony, Kevin, my understanding is that the transmitter checks after each hop that the channel is clear before transmitting, if it's not clear it carries on hopping until it finds a clear channel. FrSky uses frequency hopping across a large number of channels not just two channels which was the Spektrum DSM way of doing things, Hence if it occasionally misses a frame because that channel hop was in use you won't notice it.