Are Turnigy lipos any good?

Posted by john stones 1 on 30/06/2015 15:06:43:

You can only say as you see and know from personal use Scott, Turnigy lipos are by a long long way the most commonly used at our club and very few are dissatisfied ?

John

P.S maybe we should start doing a club lottery smiley

I think my experience is based a little more than personal use.

Advert

You are comparing Turnigy to companies with a reputation for quality and quality assurance........a reputation they deserve....Turnigy has the mediocre overall reputation it deserves.

Turnigy is a brand.....it's not a product.....the products are re-branded OEM and as somebody who has actually been involved in this OEM process......let's just say it is not to the same standard as Honda, JR, Stihl or Sony and I rather think they would be horrified at the implication.

Turnigy comes from more than one source, therefore it's theoretically possible that you would recieve 2 batteries manufactured in two different locations to two different standards......hardly Honda, Sony, etc is it?

Unless a distributor set's a certain standard....and regularly checks that standard when they distribute batteries, then it's inevitable there will be shortfalls if those factories are left to their own devices....and take it from me, HK do not operate the same standards of QA as many European distributors.

Edited By scott cuppello on 30/06/2015 17:43:39

hi, I only started back in to R/C a couple of years ago. I obtained all my batteries and other stuff from Purple Power. I have had no problems with any of them apart from a 3s 2200 that my own pilot error caused to strike the ground very hard! It was badly bent. It didn't puff up or explode but I only use it on the bench now.

George at 4Max (Purple power) has a nice detailed fact sheet about LiPo care. I have found this very useful and having followed the instructions the batteries are in excellent condition.

You are twisting what I said to suit your case, all I said was I use these brands, yes they are good ones...I found that out by personal use, good way of judging a product.

Turnigy have proven to be a good buy for me after personal use, so I said so, I stand to gain nothing by saying that so why try to belittle me with "experts" comments, I took no issue with anything you stated merely stated my experience with some liposcrook I consider myself a novice with lecky stuff yet mine haven't puffed up, you'll have to excuse me now i'm off to do the lottery.smiley

John

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 30/06/2015 20:49:50:
You will see Scott on lots of HK product video's from probably about a year ago, perhaps a bit more. If he says he knows what the QC is like on battery suppliers then he really does know!

Yes WF - and its just a possibility that maybe Scott does have a completely objective view given his parting with HK? Don't you think it might have been a little more open Scott if you had declared that you just might have a possible conflict of interests here?

And in no way to irritate - I'm afraid I have to add my vote to the "I have ten or so of these, all of them well used and over 12months old, and all working fine! so far!" Sorry. smile

BEB

I have had mixed quality with Turnigy brand LiPo's a couple of higher C rating ones puffed up very quickly with only very moderate use. I had one where the -ve wire must have had a dry joint because it came off inside the battery, they all went in the bin. I have 6 others that are over a year old and seem fine.

I also have 6 Zippy brand and they have been very good, no problems at all.

They are a good price so perfectly happy with that.

BEB - Obviously you know this, we are all grownups. Just because somebody used to work for a company does not automatically mean they will not be objective or even honest, he simply pointed out that the batteries come from various sources and the QC might not be that consistent, and at the price point I can believe that. With a certain amount of insider knowledge he was just stating what we all probably know anyway. They are made down to a low price and that is fine.

Anyway I have a beer to drink so leaving this thread alone now

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 01/07/2015 00:05:33:
I have had mixed quality with Turnigy brand LiPo's a couple of higher C rating ones puffed up very quickly with only very moderate use. I had one where the -ve wire must have had a dry joint because it came off inside the battery, they all went in the bin. I have 6 others that are over a year old and seem fine.

I also have 6 Zippy brand and they have been very good, no problems at all.

They are a good price so perfectly happy with that.

BEB - Obviously you know this, we are all grownups. Just because somebody used to work for a company does not automatically mean they will not be objective or even honest, he simply pointed out that the batteries come from various sources and the QC might not be that consistent, and at the price point I can believe that. With a certain amount of insider knowledge he was just stating what we all probably know anyway. They are made down to a low price and that is fine.

Anyway I have a beer to drink so leaving this thread alone now

I totally agree WF - which is why I said "its just a possibility that maybe Scott does have a completely objective view" (bold added later for emphasis). I think that three qualifiying adjectives in one sentence shows that I was not making a definitive statement - merely humbly suggesting a possibility. smile

BEB

Good point Brian.

Ive got loads of the blue wrapper Turnigy's that are years old and still give sterling service after loads of flights. Turnigy ( and zippys) rank among the best packs I've ever had.

To get back to the question raised by the OP of the thread it seems the majority of people are happy with them and that gives you a good yardstick.

Well, taking everyone's posts at face value, as far as I can see, the big irony here is that since continued good performance (despite the age of the cells) seems to be de facto metric for a sign of quality, if the quality were to suddenly decrease (e.g. change of supplier), it'd most likely be a few years before it became evident.

IF that's the case, then clearly this isn't a question that can be answered now... all we can say is that a few years ago, the Turnigy's were good, and we'll know whether the current batch are good in a few years time...

So rather than worry about it, personally I'm happy to just buy them and treat them as a consumable. But then, I only tend to use the smaller 2S and 3S packs...

After my (what I thought was straight forward) request for a recommended replacement battery for the 3300 Turnigy Nanotech, its refreshing to see such passion for the subject.

I think my conclusion is that its pot luck so I will sort two more of the same spec.