Alternatives to using Futaba FAAST receivers

Martin Whybrow

OK.So I'm dumb but I can't find any video or reference to updating the said FrSky receivers to the Futaba SG14 v5.0 standard in spite of using different words and phrases in the youtube search engine. I clearly need some assistance with this - anybody? I now have access to the vendor of the necessary cable for the transfer but not the method.

Are we sure that this update will be as rock solid as before the mod.?

Here's a link to FrSky **LINK**

You are not looking for firmware referenced to the Futaba 14SG v5.0 update. Rather ETSI EN 300 328 1.8.1. which is the new EU standard that has the lower duty cycle and LBT requirements(among others).

Tell us what Rx you have and I'll point you to the right firmware.

Thank you Gonzo and flight1.

I've downloaded the instructions but how do I get hold of the update file (frsky_update_rev11.exe)? The instructions state 'Step 1. Unpack the file to a new directory'. I can't see a link to access the file.

Why am I finding this so difficult? Yes ok. Don't answer thatcrying

It seems to me that Futaba will shoot themselves in the foot if they don't offer a budget priced Tx in future that is also compatible with old FASST Rx's. Once stocks of the 6EX 2.4 have run out if any user has a 6EX Tx that gets damaged or becomes unreliable what do they do? Well they have to buy a new Tx but if there is no budget priced FASST model their old Rx are unusable by them , so they are no longer locked in to Futaba! Either pay 400 pounds for a FASST TX to use the many old FASST Rx they own or look around at the budget priced combos. They might just as well consider Spektrum, Taranis, Graupner, Hitek etc as well as Futaba T6J. Own goal?

As a Futaba user for 30 years I am now considering a Spektrum DX6 combo instead of buying an extra FASST Rx ! If the Futaba T6J was also backwards FASST compatible I would buy a new FASST RX now knowing that I could still buy a budget Tx such as a T6J any time I needed it. But No! I am no longer locked in to Futaba! Most of my fellow Futaba 6EX using club members ( half the club ) are going to think the same too.

Edited By kc on 14/03/2015 19:13:54

They can't do that. The new regs prohibit the sale of any new Tx that can transmit any protocol that does not conform. Therefor no new Tx that transmits the old FASST. Futaba Rx are supposed to be happy with the new modified FASST but 3rd party Rx are not and have to have their firmware updated.

It's interesting how things have changed. We now consider £50 exorbitant for a receiver in 1979 a 6 channel Futaba receiver cost £38. The cover price of the RCM&E was 45 pence. I remember paying £55 for a Sanwa RX in 1985. How ever did we affords the stuff

There has been a revolution in the production and design costs of electronic items in the last 30 years. Items which would cost a small fortune as a product of small batch production are now very much more viable. Probably the other aspect is that RC sets are no longer regional in there range of sales, RC sets are sold globally.

Being a Futaba user, i now see that this will be the last set made by them that i will purchase.

At present the Tararnis is setting the new standards, to the extent that they are in short supply in the UK.

I am guessing that for the foreseeable future it will be Spectrum and Frsky that are becoming the new preferred and market leaders.

As for costs, there is little link between high costs for RC sets and quality. Of course you can buy a reassureably expensive set, although I would guess the increase in quality is contentious. That is particularly with Futaba, in this era.