Alternatives to using Futaba FAAST receivers

Martin Whybrow

The price of Futaba receivers seems to be steadily increasing, at one point the R617 could be found for around £40 - 45, now I can't find them for less than £51, which is ridiculous for a 7 channel RX. I've used a couple of Orange RXs without issue, but not sure what the overall reliability of them is. The other option I'm considering is to swap to FHSS by changing the TX module, as the FHSS RXs do seem to be a lot cheaper. What do you think?

I used FrSky FAAST-compatible rxs in several models for a couple of years - no problems at all. In fact the fail-safe was more flexible than on the standard Futaba 617.

There is a possible issue with the updated FAAST EU-compliant protocol - though I believe FrSky have a firmware upgrade for their rxs that takes care of that.

The only reason I don't use them now is I now have a FrSky Taranis.

Go for a different protocol. Futaba are good, I use not just Futaba, but Spektrum 6ch rx's are £23 on line, compared to your £50. The 4ch AR400 is only £18. Even the 8ch 8000 rx's are £50, compared to Futaba's park fly rx. which is still over £50.

Orange are ok, but would you risk a decent model on such a device. Hopefully, I hope you think not!!!

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 07/03/2015 11:32:56:

I'm fairly certain Orange RXs are FrSky RXs rebadged, although I stand to be corrected.

You may be right - I'm not sure. I had a couple of the very early FAAST compatible Oranges though I only used them in small electric stuff that doesn't get very far away. No reason for doing that other than "gut feel" but they've been fine for that purpose for a good long while now

The FAAST FrSKYs I've bought since have been used in a range of bigger i.c and electric models and have been faultless to date

Edited By IanN on 07/03/2015 11:54:02

The Orange FAAST RX are different in size & plug orientation to the FR Sky model pictured above. I have 5 Orange RX 's and have never had a problem.They do require the failsfe to be set differently tho.

Using the 14SG I have now started buying genuine FHSS RX units now and these too are great.

Without getting into the usual "Boring" debate for me the extra price I pay for Futaba equipment isnt a problem and money well spent in my book.

Martin,

I have 16 models of which only 5 have Futaba receivers, The rest have either the FRSky or Corona ones, both of which are available from Hobby King or Giant Shark. I have had no problems at all with either make.

hope this helps.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 07/03/2015 20:40:41

Firstly, the Orange 8Ch FASST IS the FRSky unit recased. Recased with one that's tighter to the board, poorer marked, and makes getting plugs in and out harder!! (the first ones they sold were not cased at all) I bought a couple but then reverted to FRSky branded and better cased ones. This comment like for like, 8Ch to 8Ch.

Since Futaba cannot now sell new build FASST Tx's in the Euro zone as FASST, excellent though it is in its way is not "listen before transmit", why would they now promote the Rx's? The chip set is also allegedly dear to buy, which is why they made FHSS, etc. (Though FRSky manage)

I have LOADS of FRSky FASST Rxs, of all channel counts. 30 plus, some dating back to the earliest times. Excellent devices and not to be regarded as in any way as iffy or for small low cost stuff. Proven item.

Have a FASST module in my Taranis, as well as 2 of 6EX and a CG10.

Posted by Dave Bran on 08/03/2015 12:10:43:

Since Futaba cannot now sell new build FASST Tx's in the Euro zone as FASST, excellent though it is in its way is not "listen before transmit", why would they now promote the Rx's? The chip set is also allegedly dear to buy, which is why they made FHSS, etc. (Though FRSky manage)

I don't think that is correct, Futaba updated their FAAST system to make it compliant and they are still on sale, unfortunately whilst it worked fine with Futaba FAAST rxs there was a glitch with the 3rd party compatibles. I think Frsky issued a patch for their FAAST rx's to make them work with the updated FAAST transmitters, so if you buy a new Futaba FAAST tx you may need to update any Frsky FAAST rxs you already have.

Posted by john stones 1 on 08/03/2015 12:39:00:

I know you've all heard it all beforecrook but I don't get "I only use it in small low value stuff" it's safe to use or it's not ?

Fully understand and appreciate the point you're making, but I think this is just human nature. E.g. do we all use new out of the box top of the range servos in all our builds, or do we make a value call, - or maybe "recycle" gear that we already have - according to the time/money invested in the airframe and what we intend to use it for. Ditto engines.

I suspect that in the real world most of us make judgement calls on the suitability and fitness of the components we use, according to the job in hand

Another vote for TFR6 receivers -excellent at about £21. I have 7, of which 6 are in planes and to date (up to 3years) have never had a glitch or a doubt in any way shape or form. All are from the giant fish shop. I have 2 of the Futaba 617s too and they are perfect too.

I'm just annoyed with stupid regulations and how they keep changing -get it right first time or pay for the consequences. I get the feeling that there are too many people trying to justify their existence.

I use orange Rxs, which are less than half the price of a futaba Rx, without any problems.

But, this is just me, if I had a plane worth £100s of pounds, I wouldn't fly it with anything but genuine Futaba components.

I also would not fly it with any other brand of radio.

I know the argument is: that since half the world fly with BNF Spectrum, they will get more incidents than anyone else, so that statistically it looks bad, but they are reliable radios.

But to my mind, Futaba stand and fall by their quality, not sales turnover.

MY TFR 6 seems just as good as the Futaba RX in practice.

The real question is -- is it worth investing in FAAST Rx if they are not making TX ? The info seems to say they cannot sell FAAST TX now so If your existing FAAST TX goes wrong and you cannot replace it then all the RX are unusable too. ( only the extremely expensive Futaba TX are compatible with both it seems) It makes sense to buy a FHSS TX now and buy only FHSS Rx from now. Buying any more FAAST Rx now will be money down the drain!

Posted by kc on 11/03/2015 12:58:23:

MY TFR 6 seems just as good as the Futaba RX in practice.

The real question is -- is it worth investing in FAAST Rx if they are not making TX ? The info seems to say they cannot sell FAAST TX now so If your existing FAAST TX goes wrong and you cannot replace it then all the RX are unusable too. ( only the extremely expensive Futaba TX are compatible with both it seems) It makes sense to buy a FHSS TX now and buy only FHSS Rx from now. Buying any more FAAST Rx now will be money down the drain!

Not making FASST transmitters ? Really ?

John, good question, my logic is this. I buy cheap, non OEM, receivers to save money whilst accepting that they may not be as good as Futaba's own. If because of this I lose a £200 ARTF then so be it, I've saved more than that buying cheap receivers. What I can't justify is losing a £2k model with a thousand hours in it because I've saved a few quid on a rx.

I was under the impression that Fasst transmitters are still on sale?

I am perplexed as to why any Tx should listen to establish where in the radio spectrum has signals being transmitted, if the Tx and Rx are continuously switching frequency. I guess i have got it wrong. Yet if this happens, how can there be any guarantee, that any point on the spectrum that is at present free, will remain free?

I do agree that the EU seems to have serious issues, with the constant need to issue new regulations, often with dubious justification.

Many have suggested that Frsky Rxs are as good as the Futaba 617. I will be bolder still, the Frsky Rx is better. The failsafe with the Frsky, sets all the channels, to a predetermined condition. The Futaba units just set the throttle to low (if so set), the surfaces remaining where they were at the loss of signal.

I will be bold again, my Frsky Rxs have been as reliable as the Futaba units. I have 4 Futaba 617 units, I believe 10 various Frsky units and one Corona unit. All have been excellent to date. The Frsky units are used most frequently.

Does this new reg, have any impact on the rx units, from the perspective of purchase, I would have though not?

I think a lot feel/think exactly the same Matt and whatever works for you is the way to go. BUT the question is "is this rx safe to use" it don't know how much the model costteeth 2 so if it's safe in a hack it's safe in your pride and joy. Up until last year I used only JR rx's, the evidence of the frsky stuff being safe has changed my thinking.

John

Someone posted earlier "Since Futaba cannot now sell new build FASST Tx's in the Euro zone as FASST, " I assumed that was correct as it echoed what others had implied. So is that right or wrong? Are they able to sell new FASST Tx in future or not?

Certainly there are a few 6EX2.4 etc being advertised but maybe they are old stock.

This is from the last 14sg update

11.【Area Code is EUROPE only】 FASST and S-FHSS applied to EN300 328 V.1.8.1 FASST MULTI CH mode, 7CH mode and S-FHSS apply to EN300 328 V.1.8.1adaptive system. (V.1.8.1 is the latest version of European regulation for 2.4GHz radio equipment which can output RF power less than 100mW.)

There was a similar one for the 18MZ update. FAAST is OK, but Futaba are changing over to FHSS for their entry level sets, i.e. below the 14sg, and FAAST is migrating to FAASTest (which is FAAST with telemetry). The higher end sets will support the FHSS/FAAST/FAASTest.

Hence any 6EX probably are old stock as the 6J is it's replacement in Futabas line up.

Erflog I'll bow to your superior knowledge on 2.4 systems and the EU regs but I thought the new regs had been prepared by an industry working group to ensure that all systems worked together harmoniously, remember these are for all 2.4 systems not just RC use, remember we are on a shared band, so if these new regs mean reduced chance of outside interference on the RC channels then it can't be all bad.