Blaze replacement

Morning all, am looking for a new powered glider to replace my Blaze which has finally gone to the hangar in the sky after 3 years. I want something of similar size but absolutley not foam. Am on the point of ordering the Great Planes Kunai but before I do ...does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

Advert

I might guess why you don't want a foam model after having a Blaze, but my recommendation was going to be the Multiplex Solius. Please don't think that all foam models are as dire as the Ripmax offering you've just suffered, the Solius is in a totally different league. I've had both (still have the Solius), so can compare with honesty.

Depends what you want it to do Martyn. Solius is a thermal motor soarer, something the Blaze certainly isn't. I've flown both and had 3 Blazes over the years. I've flown the Kunai too and it's a smaller and less powerful than the Blaze so you may be disappointed with it. How much do you want to spend?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 27/03/2015 12:49:53

It is worth a look at Staufenbiel in Germany, they do a lot of gliders and delivery is FOC if you spend over 90 euros. I recently bought a Fox Pro 2 from them for £135, which was cheap as the £/euro exchange rate was quite favourable. The Fox pro 2 is foam, but very impressive for the money. It thermals well and will no doubt perform well on the slopes.

I also own a soulius which is great. I have flow this from flat fields and slopes and it performs well. The only thing about the solius is that it has an aluminium strengther in the rear fuselage which can bend in a heavy landing and it is diffcult to see how to bend this back without damaging the fus. I have seen this happen more than once during heavy landings on the slopes. I would have gone for CF tubes

Edited By david fillingham 1 on 27/03/2015 13:01:03

Posted by Bill_B on 27/03/2015 12:31:14:

I might guess why you don't want a foam model after having a Blaze, but my recommendation was going to be the Multiplex Solius. Please don't think that all foam models are as dire as the Ripmax offering you've just suffered, the Solius is in a totally different league. I've had both (still have the Solius), so can compare with honesty.

Well, I can compare with honesty, too...........they do not compare because they have a completely different purpose and an even more different price!

The ST Models Blaze and its alter ego the Durafly Dynamic-S were perfectly adequate warmliners and perform very well on the slope.

Hi Martyn,I share Bill B's enthusiasm for topmodel in France. I'm building my second beginaero, a sort of warmliner...And it's a laser cut kit. I'm mightily impressed. Also, the pound is so good against the euro that you get great value

ernie

I use a 4s setup on mine. A flat rhino 2350 slides in nicely, and a mega 30e motor which is about 800kv, and a 12" prop from memory. It isn't super quick but good fun. I also joined the wings and expoxied them into a one piece, as with the 4s I experienced a little wing flex....it's a great cheapish warm liner. Also programmed a little "spoiler" with both ailerons on a switch rising about 3mm which does work nicely on landing. Flick it on and off and it bleeds off speed. The only thing I had to mess with on mine was canopy fitting. I'll try and dig out a photo of mine

I should have added that I'm using a 13" x 7" Graupner Cam folding prop with the motor I linked to (effectively a 15.25" x 7" due to the 2.25" yoke), and its drawing 38.8A statically, but unloads to roughly 34A once airborne. Using a 4s battery and smaller prop it should really bring the Cheetah to life in true Hotliner style.

Posted by Bill_B on 28/03/2015 12:09:10:

I should have added that I'm using a 13" x 7" Graupner Cam folding prop with the motor I linked to (effectively a 15.25" x 7" due to the 2.25" yoke), ................

Are you sure? All the folding props I have used (including some Graupners) have quoted the size as fitted to a nominal sized yoke - i.e I would expect a 13x7 to be a 13x7 when fitted to something like a 40mm yoke.

Been a while since I use a Graupner, so I coud be out of date smiley.

Dick

Posted by Bill_B on 28/03/2015 19:32:03:

Good call Dick ....... I've just dropped a ruler across the prop arc and it's actually 14", not 15.25" as I initially thought.

I thought that would be the case, but it's best never to assume anything.

While we are on that subject I might as well point out that increasing the diameter with a larger yoke also increases the pitch. I know it sounds illogical at first thought, but if you look at the geometry involved it does make sense.

Your original 13x7 is now closer to a 14x8 - a useful way of experimenting with prop sizes.

Extra Slim - that Cheeta looks nice.

Dick