TV Licence

Cuban8

OK - the regulations for a license stipulate that if the apparatus is capable of receiving a signal, then you need a license. That means that it doesn't matter if you have no aerial, co-ax or anything else it doesn't count as the requirement simply states 'capability' . That was changed after a case (which the defendant won) where they didn't have the aerial, downlead or anything else and just watched video tapes. It now stipulates that, if you have a VCR or anything else that is 'capable' and that is connected to a monitor (with no tuner) you STILL need a license. To avoid it you have to have off-air capability ONLY - no tuners, co-ax sockets or anything else on either the monitor or anything connected to it.

Regarding 'right of entry' - that comes under OfCom who DO have the right of entry under the legislation. .

BTW, if you are over 75, then the license is free. It's also free if any family member is registered blind. They used to get a whole fiver reduction until several years ago but still needed a TV license just to listen to the audio on a receiver (no screen - just basically a UHF radio). There is one other loophole but I'm not going to say what it is because OfCom haven't twigged it yet wink

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/03/2015 21:03:24:

The Daily Fail - the guy was found guilty - given a 6 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay costs. The BBC were not awarded any money because they wouldn't be in this case - they are not a beneficiary of the prosecution. Just another paranoid nutter in my opinion. - opps! sorry I meant charming English eccentric!

File along side the "grassy knoll" crew and the "the USA never landed on the moon" crowd.

BEB

So all his witnesses who attended, including Tony Farrell - ex intelligence officer for south Yorkshire police, Ray Savage - a former counter terrorism officer etc are all " Paranoid Nutter English eccentrics" too are they ?

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 29/03/2015 21:17:34:

OK - the regulations for a license stipulate that if the apparatus is capable of receiving a signal, then you need a license. That means that it doesn't matter if you have no aerial, co-ax or anything else it doesn't count as the requirement simply states 'capability' . That was changed after a case (which the defendant won) where they didn't have the aerial, downlead or anything else and just watched video tapes. It now stipulates that, if you have a VCR or anything else that is 'capable' and that is connected to a monitor (with no tuner) you STILL need a license. To avoid it you have to have off-air capability ONLY - no tuners, co-ax sockets or anything else on either the monitor or anything connected to it.

Regarding 'right of entry' - that comes under OfCom who DO have the right of entry under the legislation. .

BTW, if you are over 75, then the license is free. It's also free if any family member is registered blind. They used to get a whole fiver reduction until several years ago but still needed a TV license just to listen to the audio on a receiver (no screen - just basically a UHF radio). There is one other loophole but I'm not going to say what it is because OfCom haven't twigged it yet wink

Wrong, the exact legislation which you can view here says - Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence

you only need the licence to watch or record programs as they are being shown, I know this for a fact as when I cancelled my licence, I even stated in the letter that I would not use my television to watch or record programs as they were being shown, to which I received a Letter back with my refund for the 6 months in advance they make you pay by DD saying ok, we`ll not contact you for 2 years regarding the matter, and then we`ll just send a reminder to check that is still the case

Sorry John but in this case you are wrong. The relevant legislation is in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 which states:

"Meaning of “television set”

11.—(1) In Part 1 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967, “television set” means any apparatus which (either alone or in association with other apparatus) is capable of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service but is not computer apparatus."

Posted by Codename-John on 29/03/2015 21:23:07:

So all his witnesses who attended, including Tony Farrell - ex intelligence officer for south Yorkshire police, Ray Savage - a former counter terrorism officer etc are all " Paranoid Nutter English eccentrics" too are they ?

Can happen to the best of us........wink 2

Pete

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/03/2015 21:24:02:

Someone been on the Moon moon...I just can't keep up surprise

John

That's debateable too, as even NASA are now saying that to send someone through the Van Allen Radiation belts (something they apparently did in 1969 to get to the Moon) is a challenge they must solve before sending anyone through it

watch from 3 minutes in -

another interesting video is -

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 29/03/2015 21:37:32:

Sorry John but in this case you are wrong. The relevant legislation is in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 which states:

"Meaning of “television set”

11.—(1) In Part 1 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967, “television set” means any apparatus which (either alone or in association with other apparatus) is capable of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service but is not computer apparatus."

You can have a tv set without needing a tv licence, the licence is to watch or record programs as they`re being shown, not to own a tv

Look at the very website of TV Licencing which I linked to, where it says quite clearly

When don’t I need a TV Licence?

If you never watch or record live TV, you don’t need a TV Licence.

Without a licence you can only:

• Watch on demand – including catch-up TV and on demand previews – through services like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, BT Vision, Virgin Media, Sky Go, Now TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
  • Watch on demand movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.
  • Watch recorded films and programmes either from a disc (e.g. DVD or Blu-ray) or downloaded from the internet.
  • Watch on demand internet video clips through services like YouTube.
  • Play video games.

Note, if you are a landlord and you install a TV to allow your tenants to receive live TV, that address needs to be covered by a TV Licence.

‘Live TV’ means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.

If you only ever watch ‘on demand’ programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on TV.

being the very people who want your money for the TV Licence why would they say that if it wasn't true ????

Edited By Codename-John on 29/03/2015 22:03:10

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 29/03/2015 21:17:34:
There is one other loophole but I'm not going to say what it is because OfCom haven't twigged it yet wink

Does it involve spending time in court with a bunch of nutty mates willing to act as witnesses then paying £200 in order to save having to pay £145 ? wink 2