What Transmitter

I have a FrSkyTaranis transmitter but I first dipped my toe into 2.4gHz with a Frsky module in my very old Futaba FF7 Super. I then made a FrSky DiY module for my Multiplex 3030 and sold the Futaba. I wouldn't part with the Multiplex and still use it on 35Mhz for some models. One advantage of Frsky is the cost of receivers but I have a few Mux IPD receivers which I'm reluctant to give up

The only worry with 35Mhz is that people used to the freedom 2.4gHz offers may become lax in checking what channel 35Mhz users are on with possible disastrous results to the model.

As others have said, there probably isn't a bad brand of transmitter. Some may be better VfM than others and the cost of ownership (receivers) may be greater but they all seem to work reliably. Spektrum DSM2 probably paid the price of being early in the field but DSMX seems to have overcome the disadvantages.

Geoff

I've had 4 futaba sets over 30 years and they all gave fine service. Flying with anything else would be unnatural. My current Tx is a 9ZHP which I bought second hand 8 years ago. it must be 20 years old. BUT it's feeling it's age, Time to upgrade. To what though? I have wrestled with this for the last few months and today I ordered a Futaba 10J and I feel great about my decision. Futaba is my natural choice. I like many of the other radios available and came close to ordering a Graupner MC-18 but in the end I couldn't do it

Martyn, I'd been a Futaba user for over 40 years. Started with an M6 in the early-70's on 27MHz, then onto 35MHz in the 90's with a Challenger, followed by FF6, FF8 and FF7 ("emergency" second-hand purchase when I blew-up the FF8!) and finally an FF7 on 2.4.

All were fine (even allowing for my self-inflicted mishap with the FF8) but I switched to a Taranis last year for the total flexibility in programming, the telemetry and sensible prices.

Posted by Sam Wragg on 17/04/2015 13:04:21:

Stick to 35 meg it's far superior to 2.4 especially now the majority has gone over to the dark side

Sam

Suprised no one has picked up on this statement.

In terms of signal reliability 35mhz is far superior to 2.4.

Which is the best transmitter? The ones with the best engineered gimbals. All today's sets the sticks are weak and plastic apart from Jeti Which are wondrously engineered and what I've seen and heard the jeti duplex system are without doubt the best sets you can today in terms of quality & signal reliability.

That said I'm sticking with my Graupner MC24 ( the best Tx ever made)

Sam

Posted by Sam Wragg on 18/04/2015 09:06:57:
Posted by Sam Wragg on 17/04/2015 13:04:21:

Stick to 35 meg it's far superior to 2.4 especially now the majority has gone over to the dark side

Sam

Suprised no one has picked up on this statement.

In terms of signal reliability 35mhz is far superior to 2.4.

I nearly responded to it, but assumed it was a "throw-away", joke comment. It seems however you're serious. dont know

35MHz has the advantage that it's a dedicated frequency for r/c use, also that..... err, that's about it.

On the downside, normal PPM receivers will respond to any signal they receive - whether it's a clubmate shooting you down, interference from some other source, or whatever. They will respond by trying to interpret the interference as a string of pulses and will apply those signals - result, servos jittering all over the place. PCM and some of the "intelligent" receivers are a little better, but still susceptible to interference from other signals.

2.4GHz may have the perceived disadvantage that it's a shared frequency. However that does mean that the protocols are designed to work on that basis. Packets of data are error-checked and ignored if invalid. Each packet is identified by a GUID (Globally Unique ID - essentially the 'identity' of the transmitter) and any packet that originates from a source other than the 'parent' transmitter is ignored. Frequency hopping minimises lost data due to specific interference as does low duty-cycle - the transmitter is not transmitting continuously, only for something like an eighth of the time.

Finally, real-life experience. I've been 'shot down' once on 35MHz, never on 2.4GHz. I'm sticking with 2.4GHz, anyone who wants to stay on 35 is welcome to, but I can't see any way signal reliability on 35 could be described as superior, and certainly not "far superior".

Edited By John Privett on 18/04/2015 09:47:33