What Transmitter

As mentioned on a previous thread I am just getting back into the hobby after 8 years. 2.4G was just coming in then, now it is the standard.

When I was flying everyone wanted a Futaba transmitter, now looking spektrum seem to have the market share. Certainly a lot of pictures on this forum have one in the background.

I realise both are a good option, but if I was to hang up my 57MHz Futaba what would I go for? Specktrum seems good value, but a part of me likes the idea of going with what I know.

You will certainly get many different opinions on this one. It depends on so many things: how many channels, what sort of models, how much functionality you want, etc.

IF (and a big if) you want to stick with Futaba, then I found the T6J a very easy to use and simple introduction to a computer Tx, having never used one before.

If you want to fly RTF foam models (ParkZone etc), then Spektrum offers more compatibility.

It's also worth saying that although it's not so common anymore, plenty of people still do fly on 35 MHz (or 27 MHz, I'm not sure where the 57 MHz came from), so no absolute need to upgrade. An option is to hang on and make a decision a bit further down the line when you have a better idea of what you want...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 17/04/2015 11:38:37

Personally I'd stick with Futaba, I have for 20 years and it's never steered me wrong. Conversely I've seen numerous models go in with Spektrum with failed binds, brown outs etc. It'll be a cold day in hell when I commit a nice model to the air with Spektrum.

As TWS says though it's each to his own, I'm off to put on my fireproof overalls ready for the flaming from Spektrum owners laugh

For what it's worth, my opinion is.............

I have tried Futaba, currently use Spektrum and am just converting over to Taranis (just because I can!)

All are great value and do everything you could ever want - even the basic sets. I think buying a Tx is just like buying a car these days - they are all great, all use similar if not the same/similar parts/chips/technology and all give trouble free service (with the odd exception - remember these are low cost consumer products)

So............. try a few if you can then choose the one you like the most. Most importantly, ask your club mates too.

From my experience, I love my DX8 but am moving to Taranis because I believe that the open source philosophy is the way forward. Having got to grips with the Taranis I can now say that this would be top of my recommended list. Totally flexible, excellent user interface and feel at the field, very well supported on the web, many very positive reviews etc. Whilst it can be seen as being too complicated, it doesn't have to be - I got a basic four channel model programmed up with DR & Expo within 1 hour of opening the box it came in.

Read all the threads on here - there is one for every make/model

PS. Just seeing the posts that came in while I was typing. To be clear, I have never had problem with Spektrum or any other radio. All my issues have been user error. Beware anyone saying brand XYZ is rubbish - root cause may not have been fully understood!

Edited By Masher on 17/04/2015 12:00:27

Posted by Matt Jones on 17/04/2015 11:38:47:

Personally I'd stick with Futaba, I have for 20 years and it's never steered me wrong. Conversely I've seen numerous models go in with Spektrum with failed binds, brown outs etc. It'll be a cold day in hell when I commit a nice model to the air with Spektrum.

As TWS says though it's each to his own, I'm off to put on my fireproof overalls ready for the flaming from Spektrum owners laugh

Ha Ha ^^ This advice from me too

Fight the urge, fight the urge, fight the urge............ No, I cannot resist it being of Spektrum persuasion! Let me think back, that big expensive turbine that went in at the patch last year burying itself so deep it had to be dug out with shovels and brought back in bin bags - that must have been Spektrum surely? No? What? It was Futaba?!!!!! No control?I cannot believe it! surprise...........

Seriously though, not getting into a pointless debate - You like what you like. I have always had Spektrum gear starting with a DX5, then a DX7 and I have just got a DX9 as I progress through this hobby. I personally have not had a problem with my radio gear and really love the DX9. If I were coming in now I would go for a new DX7 as it has amazing features for the money and will keep you busy for a while, see the last RCM&E for a review (I think)

I did briefly consider Futaba before I bought my DX9, but I could not face going through all that baptism lark before being able to buy onecheeky

Whatever you choose good luck with it, you will love it.

Cheers, Simon

Horses for courses, long time Futaba user, fine radios, who changed to Spektrum DX9 when I went over to 2.4 GHz, a fine radio. I look with some envy, however, at my mates Taranis, fine radio. But his running costs are less than mine, and I can't help feeling the open source software this one runs on has more of a future than mine. But don't take much notice of people who rubbish a make, they are all rock solid for reliability if you install them as instructed, and maintain the batteries, leads and switches. Best advice I can give is if you need to buy a radio now get a basic radio. Then you can cover your bases while you make up your mind as to long term direction. And welcome back

As said above, all modern sets are phenomenally reliable now. I only changed from Futaba to Spektrum when I went to 2.4 was because at the time FHSS wasn't around and FASST receivers were a stupid price. No regrets since. As well as the number of BNF models available, the other plus with Spektrum is the model match facility, which means the radio won't work with the wrong model memory selected. I crashed once because of this with my 35MHz Futaba - in no way is this the radio's fault, pure pilot idiocy, but it is a useful safety backup.

I'm tempted to try a Taranis as they seem extremely good for the money, but with a dozen or more models kitted out with my existing radio, I ask myself why bother?

Posted by Dave Bond 2 on 17/04/2015 11:29:14:

As mentioned on a previous thread I am just getting back into the hobby after 8 years. 2.4G was just coming in then, now it is the standard.

When I was flying everyone wanted a Futaba transmitter, now looking spektrum seem to have the market share. Certainly a lot of pictures on this forum have one in the background.

I realise both are a good option, but if I was to hang up my 57MHz Futaba what would I go for? Specktrum seems good value, but a part of me likes the idea of going with what I know.

Ahh you spotted my mistake I do mean 35Mhz, I cannot find the edit post to correct it.

If you decide to stay with Futaba then you will have to choose between two systems that are not compatible except with top end TX's

Choose either FASST  or the more basic S-FHSS system which I use and have found to be reliable and much like the old FF series to program.

6 channel S-FHSS RX £32 from Inwood. I also still use my 35Mhz FF7.

Edited By john davies 8 on 17/04/2015 14:50:58

Futaba 6exa the basic computer one that looks to be identical to the basic 2.4GHz current one but with different modulator stage.

As additional Rx's are quite expensive still for Futaba, it seems silly to keep buying into 35Mhz where as the world seems to have moved on.

If you wonder "What is this Taranis all about", you could download the (free) program(s) that run on your PC and allow editing of all the settings in the radio. This would let you see what the open source firmware is all about.

There are two options for the firmware, openTx and ersky9x.

For openTx: **LINK**

For ersky9x: **LINK**

Both also include simulators so you may see what your settings actually do.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 17/04/2015 15:19:23

Hi. In 47 years I have owned Flight Link , Climax ,Futaba , Sprengbrook , Sanwa, JR, Multiplex ,Hitec . I would use them all again bar JR. Now a proud owner of Spektrum DX9 with approx 850 flights on it . No problem apart from one crash on DSM2. Providing you only use DSMX then highly recommended. The DX9 has had much more usage than any other set Colin

David, you have a capable transmitter. There are thousands of second hand 35 meg receivers hanging about, sold for a few quid each. Will get you going until you decide where you want to go. Ask about down your club. I have a couple of duel conversion Futaba receivers, £10 inc postage and tranni/receiver crystals. and I dare say plenty of others can beat me on price as I have to pay international post rates. It's a lot of work to get your head round a new transmitter, take your time and get one that suits you.

Spot on Donald.

I had a similar experience. I dug out my old 35 MHz set in the first instance and got back up to speed before I made any big decisions involving cost.

Just get new NiMH battery packs for the Tx and Rx, since although the radio set will still work after 8 years, not so sure about the batteries...

Good Luck

TWS

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 17/04/2015 16:29:24

Going slightly off topic but still on topic for patience,cost, reliability and long term benefit, I would not assume old batteries are duff, but a good battery charger/recycler will tell you, and will in any case will pay for itself many times over in avoiding throwing out good batteries and launching models with bad batteries. I once had a Ripmax 500 mah nicad which still gave its output a half amp discharge rate after 25 years.

Better still, stick with what you have got, get down the club, and handle their stuff, speak to the learned ones who the tidy flyers respect, and take your time. And with the ever more complex capabilities of modern kit, someone who has invested in many hours of mind bending concentration in (part) mastering one of these systems is worth more than a good cook (nearly).