A question for beginners

Hi Jez,

and welcome to the forum, lots of friendly people here!

I am afriad to say that in all walks of life you do get the occassional group of twits (swop the vowel if you want - I couldn't possibily!) and sadly RC model flying is no exception. But please don't let that put you off. In my experience most clubs are really friendly and if you make the effort to "muck in" they will make you feel very welcome and teach you to fly.

Take a visit to the BMFA website at this address and you will find a "club finder" ultility. That should sort you out re finding a club.

You're doing the right thing in trying to get some help to learn - by going to a club you'll not only be taught how to fly well but also how to fly safely - which is just as important.

You've been a bit unlucky with one club full and the other populated by miserable so-and-so's, but it not typical so just hang on in there and have fun with your model.

Welcome to best hobby on the planet - happy landings.

BEB 

hi jez from me -you are going the right way doing things-ignore the rude guy's-their loss at the end of the day----you go find a club and forget the other's me old son.....if all else fails move a bit further up to god's neck of the wood's - join our club and you will get a warm reception and help galore...for that is what our club thrives on...

ken anderson.....ne 1.

wow big thanks to andy at bikershaw mfc for making me (a newbie) feel very welcome today and also the club sec for a warm welcome.. I will be joining as soon as my wot is built up many thanks.. if only all clubs were like this the hobby would be fantastic.....

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

I decided last year to teach myself to fly then join a club (so I didn't look like an idiot! Or so I thought.)  I had a look around the Internet and found a lovely looking Art tech Corsair, everything in the box and a Flight simulator too! After half an hour on the simulator I deemed myself ready to fly. So a went to a quiet field and went for it! After a hand launch I managed 3/4 of a circuit and crashed. Fuselage was in 2 pieces.
I didn't know what to do so I tried super glue and melted the model, I ended up using expanding foam to fix it up, which worked a treat.

When I finally turned up at a club everyone had a good laugh at my exploits but on the same day I was flying and being coached by an very helpful group of chaps.

I guess the moral of the story is get around a few clubs and meet some experienced people before even thinking about spending money. It doesn't matter if you feel a bit stupid most people are genuine and willing to help.

I also thought it would be neat to cut a perfect slot in the expanded foam to mount the ESC in, it looked really neat but overheated on the second flight and let the magic smoke out, it looked cool seeing a WWII plane going down with smoke streaming from the wing join!

Sorry if this a bit wordy, I just thought others could draw solace from my stupidity.

Hi Matt its not stupidity at all,its a complex hobby.Ive only been flying a couple of years,and with my club colleagues and this Forum Ive learnt loads.On one of my first ARTF"s I coulnt figure out how to connect  the ailerons to the receiver,I had 2 wires and only 1 terminal,Phoned the shop,Y lead.But Said I, how do I get them to go the opposite way,because thats how there fitted if you follow the instructions correctly--shimples.The other day a club member telephoned me and asked the identical questions,its a roundabout we are on

• 4 weeks later...
      I have a problem doing square circuits or so our club examiner says ,he says that i cut the corners don't think i do, may be if it's a bit windy  it's possible .any way until i can convince my examiner otherwise i can't take my A ,and to be quit frank it's doing my head in ,I desperately want my A .

hello taildragger-with out seeing you flying-i would suggest you dont fly too fast-and practice as much as possible...try to get in the habit of doing a square turn...as soon as the model go's around the turn-get the wing's straight and level...and continue for the time until you reach the next point and then same again......try and do some rectangle's...no big deal...just practice/practice and more practice...hope this is some help for you-if not get back in touch..........main thing is enjoy the challenge....

ken anderson.....ne..1/bvrmc examiner.....

Kelvin - in the A test the landing approach should be flown as a square circuit, as should the opposite direction circuit. Other circuits can be square or oval at choice.

One thing you can try Taildragger is to "crisp" the move up a bit. Crisp bank in, through the turn, then crisp straighten up. If you do it really smooth (which personally I think is better!) it can look as if your cutting the corner.

Another factor is to concentrate on making a definite "cross wind" leg with the wings level - so one turn deosn't sort of "blend" into the next one. This cross wind leg can be very short (it usually is) but the examiner wants to see its really there - its a bit like the short straight bit you have to do in the middle of the 8 at the cross over.

BEB

I always try to teach beginners to fly rectangular circuits because:

(a) it's required for the A Certificate.
      (b) it helps line the model up for that most difficult of manoeuvres, the landing.

So I always try to get the beginner to level the wings after each turn. Turn, level wings, ....turn, level wings. Like anything else it's easy once you've practised it a bit and it makes for much more accurate flying.

i learnt to fly about 25 years ago but i have had a few breaks here and there!!! i think the most difficault things for a beginer are as follows

1. there is litererally thousands of items you can buy to start this hobby and knowing where to start can be mind bending, what type of radio, model etc

2. where do you learn to fly, i personally have been a member of 5 clubs in my time and not all of them suited me some are over regimented!, some under !! some had a distinct lack of humour some were bonkers, i had to search through a few to find the bunch of idiots i like to call my flying buddies, the first club you come to is not allwyas the one for you !!

3. who do you get to teach  you and how do i not pee him off by asking too often
I picked the one who crashed the least and who happened to be the most
Cantankerous of them all god rest his soul!!  
4. too much information, to be honest ask a question in this hobby and you tend to get thousands of different opinions, sorting through whats rubbish and good can be a bit hit and miss

In short the answer and solution to all of the above is to join a club!! not just any club but one that suits your personality and the answers for all the above will come to you!!+

i know you can learn to fly on your own but trust me you will learn quicker have less accidents, waste less money and have far more fun in a club than you ever will on your own or staring at a monitor

• 4 weeks later...
it  strong
I have only been a participatory (I stress) member of one club & it was in the wilds of Cornwall- Ladock (Truro club) No rules & regs-Just commen sense & a fantastic atmosphere .We were all self taught 'til we met up & formed the club (in actual fact we were all "home brewers ") !
Find folks of your 'ilk is what I'm saying . That's the way I learn't about the latest developments on my retuirn after many years absence .
Myron

it strong it is hard to understand what question you are asking because you have given us very little information to go on. I assume you are talking about model flying.

I guess the only answer I can give is: find a good local club and go and talk to as many people as you can. This way you will get a feel for what the hobby is all about and see if you really want to invest your time and money in learning to fly models.