Flying Helicopters

Erfolg

I am trying to learn to fly a helicopter.

Hovering on the spot, I can almost do.

Going forewords and backwards I can almost do.

Traversing from side to side I can almost do.

I can sometimes land as well.

But I have not figured out, how to do a turn/circle. What i try to do is

• I put the nose down slightly to move foreward, immediatly centring the stick 
  • Point the nose in the direction I would like to go, say the right .
  • at the same time put in sum right, with the right stick, then centre it
  • Somewhere at this point things start to go pear shaped. I seem to loose direction and end up just trying to keep the thing in the air.

What, how should you do it?

Erfolg

I have a Twister Coastguard and a Twister CP.

I have been using the yaw. I am trying to use a little right and a little left stick, both to the right or left.

I guess it is practice. I am also suffering from orientation issues. No problem with fixed wing, but my brain (what brain , I can almost hear you say) is not coping at all well with the helicopter.

Regards

Erfolg

With Heli's I suggest you practice on a simulator if you have one.   If the heli is flying nose in or coming out of a turn  towards you - move your aileron stick towards the lowest blade to straighten out the heli. If you do get disorientated - wagging  the tail helps!  Another rule is with helis is that if you get into trouble  is to  - throttle up  (ie gain some height ,  then sort it out) -  not down

Al

Hi all.

I allways remember my old day when I leant to glide in real gliders and my teacher saying safty in hight air never smashed eny thing Im not shore this totaley true, but it duse give you time to think and get it back to gether so get up there and try to get it back to the norm if you no what I mean. But as when you fly fixer wing slite stick slite ruder let it drift into a turn and at the same time increce the air speed slitley.

happy turning Owen. 

Rite on timbo  Erfolg all the advice above is sound just treat it a little like a fixed wing if your travelling forwrad with a contra all you need do is imput a little rudder / yaw and it will follow a nice flat turn to produce a banking turn add a slight roll in the turn direction not to much though or you'll end up sliding out of the sky thats exactly how i crashed the 1st time  big thing to remember is lots of space, height and keep it slow at 1st

Phil

Well Folks

I am starting to get the hang, where I was going wrong is putting in a bank with the right stick whilst simultaneously swing the tail with the left stick. I now swing the tail, watch the tilt of the model and then feed in the right stick to keep the model level or a fraction of tilt into the turn.

I have started to use the point the stick at the low blade when moving towards me.

I have started to use FMS, works well. I have successfully looped. Had a thousand crashes. But hey pixels are cheap.

Thanks for the tips

Erfolg

Phil Winks wrote (see)

While your around Eric saw a comment you made about the fly bar on twister contra's cant see how you can fit them any but the correct way the link always leads the the blade whichever way you fit them

Phil

Nope...Eric is correct - they CAN be fitted incorrectly and baaaad things happen then !

Now i maybe being a little thick here Timbo, but still cant make my fly bar on the twister bell go on the wrong way. Are we talking about the same piece of kit? I know the pics are a bit poor but think they show what I mean. whichever blade you attach the link to it still sits the same in relation to blade rotation
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28234/Twister_bell_fly_bar_1.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28234/Twister_bell_fly_bar_2.jpg

Hmmm, I am confused now too ! I certainly remember having a tiger by the tail after one early encounter with the garage wall resulted in the stabiliser popping out...I had re-asssembled it somehow incorrectly because reversing it fixed it ! having now just experimented and photograhing etc...I am like you - confused ! 'cos I see what you are saying. Help !

I am off for a quick google to see if I can find out before Eric comes back and embarrasses us both with the answer

That possibly sounds like you, like me, got it in rotated so the pivot pins were vertical instead of engaged in their respective holes this certainly stiffens it up resuting in an ineffective fly bar making for a very interesting flight pattern.

Ps what happen to your suggestion that we should be able to upload pics to a thread only? did it turn out impracticable or something

Hi all.

I will try and get my words right for Timbo but that is not my strong point and if the spell checker is down you get it in the raw but reading between the lines we all get some sort of help from this forum maybe mine will be a help with my writing who knows. Back to the fly bar this all the more stronger case for fitting a Ali kit to the heli wall worth the £20 notes I think don't you.

Keep it Up Owen.

We're going of thread here but timbo's involved so prob ok.  small point on the ali fly bar mount an early prob I had was that with mine being an early model it came with a small screw to pinch the flybar in place so according to the instructions I fitted said screw. bad mistake instead of popping out on contact with the an imovable object it snapped the carrier clean of the inner shaft. my point is, in an ali mount would the fly bar, or worse the inner shaft, end up bent instead of simply popping out?

pedantically speaking - its not an actual fly-bar at all -its only a stabilser bar acting as a centrifugal force to keep the top uncontrolled blads level with respect to the mainframe. Anyway....as to the fitting etc - no it wasnt the scenario you described Phil EG: the centre spigots not engaged in the side holes properly...it definately can be fitted incorrectly.

The crux of the tips and hints out there suggest that the connecting rod must always lead the blades rather than trail them...but as you say, it seems to do that whichever you fit it

As for the ali upgrade kit - I am not sure its a good mod for the reason you say Phil...I prefer mine to be a little loose so it pops out when needed. Heres a link to some discussion about the "flybar" / balancer bar.

troubleshooting

From wot I can make out on the portal they are talking about the flybar holder being misorientated. I wasn't aware it was removable in fact i'm sure it aint well confused so I'm delving into the archives to get the originall exploded view parts list out I may be some time its dark in that there loft

There was a comment made regarding power flying time and the number of motors. It obviousley registered with me, as I awoke having given the issue some thought in my sub consious dreams.

It struck me that the number of motors matters little, what is important is the mass to be lifted. As work done is just the force times the distance and power the rate of doing work. I then thought about the efficiencies of the motors and concluded that two motors doing the work of one, will be very similar in overall efficiency. I am not sur that is true of two ESC against one, at partial throttle. I then thought about the effect of the two rotors relative to one. I seemed to remember that two in tandem propellers generate a higher thrust than two parallel propellers, but it is the diameter that really matters from the point of view of efficiency. I just concluded that there was probably not a lot of difference in power requirements in the single or co-axial set up. 

I had awoke at this point, as my wife brought in my morning coffee and biscuit. She commented that I looked troubled. My reply was that I had some concerns about the Kitchen/Garage extension. She replied that she would let me get on with my deliberations, so as not to interfer with progress, her final words were "I suspected that you were thinking of flying, you will have plenty of time when you have finished the construction".

If only!

Erfolg