Sepp Blatter head of FIFA

Advert

It's becoming a bit farcical isn't it? (Perhaps the word "becoming" is superfluous?)

The man "resigned" in June, but it then seems he'll be there until the end of next February. Now they're trying to suspend him as legal proceedings have started against him. And he still claims to have done nothing wrong. The lunatics really do seem to be running the asylum... disgust

• 2 months later...

Yet still he protests his innocence, and says that despite being "suspended for eight years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation" he is still the president of FIFA (even though he "resigned" from that position back in June) and will remain so until February.

Perhaps he thinks that being president of FIFA isn't a football-related activity...

I have virtually zero interest in football but the car crash that is FIFA I find strangely fascinating. Just as fascinating is the strange decision to host a World Cup, a summer event, in a country which isn't a major footballing centre and moreover has summer temperatures in the high 40s. That many of the imported labour force used to build stadia in a country with none have died just makes it genuinely tragic.

And that one of my sporting interests, cycling, was called corrupt (and some of it was) just feeds my sense of schaudenfreude. devil

Like most sports the important people are the ones actually playing or organising it for fun at the grass roots level and they will continue to do so.

Geoff

• 2 months later...