Correx built PSS models

Steve Houghton 1

Hi All,

A Correx U2 would be a great prospect and... Wickes sell something very like Correx I think its called antinox flooring protection- but dont hold me to that one ( it is a recycled product). Its 2mm thick - available in black ( specially designed for a U2!) sheet size is 8 feet x 4 feet and price approx 4 pounds each or approx 15 pounds for 4 sheets. I have used it and it behaves similar to Correx- it is perhaps not quite as hard or quite as dense.

The problem is they wont cut it for you - so you need a big car or ... take some scissors/knife and cut it up to 4 feet square!

Hope this helps get one built!

Regards Harry

Edited By Harry Twist on 30/07/2015 23:55:32

All about time I'm afraid!

So the F-86 re-cover is top of the list ready for September meet. Then got to get on with the TB-3, finish some others that have been half done for far too long....

Maybe next year! Plus Domestic tasks.....

So Big Phil and I were out today on the Back of Wrecker at the Bwlch, which it has to be said, is not our favourite slope. There is no where to go should you lose the lift or get it all pear shaped as it is a near vertical cliff with a road at the bottom. Anyway, after a while sat around chewing the fat and soaking up the sunshine whilst we waited for the wind to play ball, we did manage to launch some correx into the wild, blue younder. Phil his Mig 3, affectionately known as "Daisy", and my Impala. Here's some pics.

Big Phil's Mig 3

Phils Mig

My Impala

Launching Imp

Level Imp

Diving Imp

Inverted Imp

Hi All, Great pictures Steve of your Impala and Phil's Mig! Looks a great/challenging flying site!

Well I think I've put the Fury in Sea Fury now! Just about done- some pictures below.

Some stats - wing span 58inches, wing area around 500sq in, weight just over 3lbs - gives a loading of around 15oz/sq foot. ( Sorry still in old units!). So not a floater! Wholly constructed from Correx (and a lot of hot glue!) with a combination of paint and solartrim for striping to finish.

The bigger issue is I still need to fly it though!

As someone once said ...all planes will fly..... at least once....

Regards Harryp1050332.jpgp1050330.jpgp1050335.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 03/08/2015 22:56:22

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice regarding some detailing on my present build.

I'm trying to make this model a bit more scale like and was thinking of adding, amongst other things, some panel lines.
I gather you just try to mimic something similar to the full size aircraft by using something like a Sharpie permanent marker??
Any other advice greatly appreciated 👍

Thanks all
Phil

Hi Phil. I use a Stabilo permanent marker. For small models I use a 0.5mm nib, and for the A10 I used a 1mm nib. All bought from eBay.

For the lines I use a thin, long, flexible piece of balsa that follows curves easily as a ruler. I also have various circular templates too.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Following completion of my Sea Fury I thought I would try another correx model! So I have started an MB326 Impala. My impressions so far is that this feels a more straightforward build than the SF - but perhaps it is because i am getting more familiar with correx!.

The Impala is probably around 70% done, needs covering, canopy and final details to sort out before test flight.

I will be covering this one in vinyl - in contrast to the last one which I painted.

Overall flying weight is looking to end up around 1300g.

A couple of photos attached.

Regards

Harry

p1050437.jpg

p1050425.jpg

Well Camo Imp's maiden went well at the Bwlch, it just needed a little nose weight removed and increase the elevator travel.

No photos of it flying yet but here is the finished thing along with the Imp I gave my son.

Phil

20151003_150302.jpg

Edited By Phil May on 04/10/2015 12:19:56

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, my correx MB326 Impala is now 99% done, couldnt quite have it ready for the last PSSA weekend, but pretty much there now, following a couple of evenings effort.

Colour scheme is based on 1980s South African aerobatic team the Silver falcons. Covering is vinyl (silver/orange) plus solar trim (white) .

All up weight 1400grammes. Span 56". I have some key things to do yet- CoG, control throws etc and I want to improve the fuz / wingseat join other than that - she is done.

All correx construction with exception of nose ( bala and ply) and wooden wing spar. The covering took ages! Perhaps I should have painted it!

Have made the canopy into a removable hatch and added knock off tip tanks. Here are a couple of pictures ....

Regards

Harry

p1050448.jpg

p1050449.jpgp1050450.jpg