Correx built PSS models

Steve Houghton 1

I've found a weak point on the l/edge of the wing where the retaining rubber bands pull over it.

After a great couple of hours on the slope with it today I noticed this split, so I'm going to reinforce this section with the addition of a simple piece of plastic and recomend fellow builders look at incorporating something similar.

Also black Migs don't show up well in a dark cloudy sky.....

20150621_173843.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

p1050207.jpgHi All,

Well - in a previous post in this thread I said I would be trying to build a Correx Sea Fury. So thought I would share story so far. Photos attached. Thoughts so far.. (my first Correx model)...I'm fitting it in around work/family etc - so pace is slowwww.... enjoying the build though. I have some material limitations - I dont really have all the correct thicknesses/enough Correx so this is a bit of an experiment!

Have modified the plan a little - I have added some longerons, plus an additional former - there was too much air between the rear two for my liking! Also since the photos I have added a foam lined battery box enabling me to remove the battery- the original plan suggests permanently boxing it in between F2 &F3. I have also now skinned the fuz and pushed on a little with the wings. I will add (occasionally) more photos as I hopefully progress!

Just about getting the hang of cutting / using Correx....

Happy flying..

Regards Harryp1050206.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 09/07/2015 19:22:44

Hey that's looking good Harry, I shall be following your build with interest thumbs up

I maidened my Impala on Saturday, still in its bare correx state. I'm in the process of covering it now.

It flew off straight as a die in the 25-30 mph south westerly, although I had to hold in a lot of down elevator until I cleared the ridge and could use the trim switch.

She flew great even if she did struggle to penetrate the wind, but once I had turned to fly along the slope it was fine.

I tried it on full and low rates on aileron and elevator, tried snap flap too with no problems. Rolls were very axial but you have to have a fair head of speed in a dive for it to loop, but she dos look good in the air.

I felt it would benefit from having a rudder and that may be something I look at retrofitting later. Also the fin could use some re-enforcement, so something light but very stiff inserted into one of the flutes.

Anyways, this is one fun flier laugh

Steve

Looking good Harry, just watch that extra weight behind the c of g.

Retro fitting a rudder would be an easy job Steve, just finding where to fit the servo would be the only head scratcher.

2 more Migs will be flying soon, this time up North in Scotland. James asked me to supply him with 2 in a near ready to fly state....posted today mate 👍

I was asked a couple of weeks back to built 2 Migs for James in Edinburgh, well I've had an email saying his one was successfully maidened today and his son is hoping to maiden his next weekend yes

No photos yet but he's promised to send some when they are decorated and both flying smiley

Hi All,

Steve - your Impala looks great in silver! Please can I ask how do fix your wing on? Cannot see any dowels! Thought I would ask before I start cutting holes in my fuz - in case you have a fiendish fixing method!!

Also general question - servos in wing ( mid wing) to aileron or servos in wing centre - via torque rod to aileron?

Phil I see on your Mig and on all the Impalas mid wing servos with overwing pushrod -is it just take your pick...?

OK 2 more pictures to share with you - one of the wing prior to folding  plus one of the first meeting of Sea Fury fuz and wing- couldnt resist a quick rough cardboard mock canopy just to give me a feel. of the overall look ! !

Regards Harryp1050215.jpgp1050222.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 12/07/2015 23:19:31

Hi Harry

My wing will be held on by elastic bands around dowels, I just hadn't fitted the dowels for the picture.

The aileron servo's are fitted mid wing and the control push rods are over the wing to prevent damage on landing. I guess you could fit a single, central servo, but why would you want to? Having two 9gm servo's allows you to mix in differential, snap flap and flaperons if you so required.

Steve

Hi All, Thought I would update on my Correx Sea Fury, pictures below! I reckon I am 80% done, needs canopy finishing, elevator servo fitting, wing/fuz seat needs tidying up, few other bits - control surface throws etc. Also I seemed to have developed a slightly warped left hand tailplane- which I will try to sort out.

Decided to paint the model rather than vinyl ( thankyou Wickes taster pots!) rollered on with 6" roller, then over topped with matt varnish (colours are - teal blue uppers over powder grey lowers) I have a slight concern - paint doesnt seem to adhere well to Correx - but see how we go!

Nose is not quite scale _ I may make a smaller one - the one on the pic is blue foam - sanded then covered in fibreglass cloth (thin) then several coats of WBPU, rubbed down and then final spray yellow. I have made it removeable to be able to add/remove noseweight.

Hand made cockpit - not quite right - temporarily seated in the pictures and needs a bit of finishing but I am fairly happy with it.

She's never going to win any scale master class but I think the spirit of the Sea Fury is there! A few more decals once I sort them will help and then the real test begins - will she fly?

Hopefully I will maiden her before going down to the Lleyn on the next PSSA meet. Failing that she could have her maiden flight on the PSSA weekend weather permitting!

Regards Harryp1050317.jpgp1050314.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 29/07/2015 23:11:15

Hey Harry, it's looking good yes

Big Phil and I will be keeping an eye on this as we had both considered painting our models, but Phil tested this and found that the paint began to flake off after a while. I don't know what the solution to this might be?

I shall look forward to meeting you and your Sea Fury at the Lleyn, so hopefully there will be three correx models there. Yours, Andy Meade's Mig 3 and my Impala.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the response. Should have added to my post.... as always with digi images --the pictures make it look better than it is!!!

I think the paint will come off with knocks/landings car rash and hangar rash but ... I am sure there are ways of preparing the Correx surface or using a specific plastic primer that will help paint to adhere. I'm not so worried at this stage - really enjoying the build using different materials!

I also look forward to seeing your Impala and Andy's Mig3 - both look great! 

Regards Harry

Edited By Harry Twist on 29/07/2015 23:41:25

Looking great Harry.

I'm thinking of trying some of that plastic primer that they use on car bumpers once I've keyed the correx with an abrasive scotch pad then adding a coat of colour from a rattle can....Just wondering if this would work.

The other alternative is to buy coloured correx, but this would triple the cost.