Correx built PSS models

Steve Houghton 1

Hi guys.

At the June PSS Fly for Fun at the Orme, several of you expressed an interest in building your own PSS models from correx and asked if my mate Phil, who has built an Impala jet trainer for himself, and one for me, and a Mig 3 for himself and Andy Meade, could put up a build blog.

Well he did do this of sorts, although maybe it wasn't as comprehensive as it could have been.

All the plans, Impala's, Spitfires, Mig 3's, Mustangs, etc etc are available for free download in either PDF or Zip files. But better still, there are 7 videos showing the complete build, from start to maiden flight.

Phil began with the Impala Jet Trainer and found the build quite easy when following the techniques shown in the video, although I think he incorporated a few of his own ideas. He wasn't happy with the shape of the nose when made from correx so he produced one out of foam. He didn't quite get the shape right on his own, first model, but the one he made for me was much better, so I think he's going to re-do his.

The plans call for the model to be built using 2mm and 3mm thick correx but, he could not source 3mm in white, only in black, so he used 2mm and 4mm, which doesn't seem to have affected the performance any, well not on the big air slopes we are used to flying on here in S Wales.

So I think I'm right in saying that one, 2m sheet of 2mm and one of 4mm built two models and cost us about £20 each.

So if you are interested in having a go, all the plans and video's are available HERE.

And here is Phil flying his Impala on the Wrecker at the Bwlch in S Wales.

Cheers Steve, I'm usless at doing the link thingy 😕

When I built the Impalas I could only source 2 and 4 mm correx which was £25 delivered and this was enough for our Imps.

When it came to the Migs I managed to find a supplier who could provide the recomended 3 mm thick for the fuselage, but only in black and it was cheaper although it was of a lower quality.

I personaly don't think the slight difference in weight between 3 and 4 mm thickness is a problem.

These models are in a different league to the quality that you normally see at the PSS meets, but put your beer glasses on and step back a bit and they are not to bad 😉

But a couple of things for sure, they are cheap, fun and a quick build and by god they fly well 😊

Look on line for a company called the Aluminium Shop.

They sell 8' x 4' in both 2 mm & 4 mm, this is enough for 2 completed models.

Prices were approx £4 for 2 mm & £12 for 4 mm postage was about £10.

Do not order on line as it will be rolled, you need to phone them and ask for it to be cut into 4 x 4' sizes and posted flat ( check thst your chosen plans fit in the 4 x 4 size) Mine was delivered within 2 days damage free.

Hope this helps

Phil

HI All, Thanks Steve for getting this correx thread going. I'm definitely in for a correx sloper. Been in my mind for a while and some of the models made by the South African guys look great ( on video) and look to fly well also.

My choice is a corro Sea Fury - got pdf's etc. So I'm on the case with obtaining corro and making up plans. I would say for any prospective builder ( me included!) a thorough watching of the build vids is a good investment of time prior to chopping up corro on your best kitchen table!

Will mine be ready for a near future PSS meet in north or south Wales ? Not 100% sure but I hope so!

Regards H

If you're looking for 2,3,4mm Correx then give Ockwells a look. They were very helpful in supplying 8x4 sheets from their Warrington branch several years ago - available in clear and black. I just used the very last piece of 2mm black that I had in stock the other day, so need to get some more.

**LINK**