Correx built PSS models

Steve Houghton 1

Hi All, Many thanks for your comments ref the Impala.

Phil, I will take a couple of tip tank and canopy pics and upload them - rather than trying to explain in 4000 words!

But briefly(!) here we are....

The tip tanks gave me some concern - initially I made correx ones clad in balsa, to make a 3D effect rather than profile. I hot glued these to the wing tips. Then - reading Steves comments about his experience of them freq getting knocked off - I changed my mind! I didnt want to ruin the wing on landings- so I cut them off and made smaller correx knockoff ones.They have the tank profile with a small 2mm correx sleeve fitted to them at 90 degrees- the sleeve is the profile of the wing tip- they are experimental and may not be the best idea - probably as Steve says small magnets are the way to go.

I would still like to have a more 3D tip tank effect - so if anyone know's of light plastic tubes/ torpedo shapes that could be converted (steradent containers/ kiddies sweet containers etc please let us know!)

( Pictures will show the sleeve and my original balsa clad ones!)

Basically for the canopy: the clear piece is a plastic bottle cut down, I removed part of former B and made a horizontal flush line at where I thought the canopy base should sit - then cut back to just before former c - and kept the rake back angle to the turtle deck top. Made a base in correx, bought a cheapie pilot (ebay) cut him down to head and shoulders, made a bit of a seat behind him. Painted up in matt black.

Fitted a bearer in the forward fuz - hot glued a magnet in to it , then on the canopy base hot glued a magnet into that. Fitting is via canopy base butting up to former c and friction fitting at the rear - holding the back down and then magnets at front. Canopy to base is via pins and then added vinyl to provide edging strip.

I have made a couple of other mods;

I fitted small ply plates to the rubber band wear area at the leading and trailing edge of the wing /fuz seat- as per previous recommendations from Phil.

I added extra thickness to the outer small strip of wing beyond the end of the aileron at the TE - at this point the wing is thin!

Pictures will show it a lot clearer!

Sorry for waffling on!

I will post pics tonight hopefully.

Regards

H

Edited By Harry Twist on 16/10/2015 11:01:35

Hi All, OK Pictures as promised!

A couple are of knock off type tip tanks - versions 1 and 2 shown.

Version 1 was large ( balsa clad correx) initially were glued on - I cut them off, added dowels and made them knock off( the odd angle of the dowels is deliberate- seemed to get more friction that way!). I will keep them and use them until they break ( first flight!).

Any way - then decided to go to the smaller version2 - slid over wing end style, sleeve made from 2mm correx same shape/profile as wing tip covered as wing end and pushed on.Photo explains all.

Canopy - as described earlier - I got the former letters wrong though - canopy starts just behind former C and ends just before former E. Photo shows extension at rear of canopy - there is a magnet below the canopy front end. Photos explain better than my words!

Hope this helps....

regards Hp1050451.jpgp1050456.jpgp1050454.jpgp1050461.jpgp1050460.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had some success and some failure with the tip tank printing. Weight is good (35grams), and the outside finish is very nice straight off the printer...BUT - my bed needs recalibrating for level. As a print extends out of the bed in the Z axis, it drifts one way slightly, which makes the 3-piece tanks a little bit odd looking!

20151023_125217.jpg

20151023_125230.jpg

Sooo...I'm going to split these down the long axis instead I think and try again!

Hi Harry,

My building is never tidy! I hide the horrors with lots of filler at the end The Horten is built from a Giuseppe Ghisleri plan, which is available here.

I decided to omit the large round engine intakes, as I thought they were way too draggy. I have used some black vinyl decals in that position instead. My biggest problem was the 7 ounces of lead in the nose required to balance it, even with a hefty NiMh up front.

There you go Phil - your next correx model sorted! Seriously though - could be a good correx subject- lots of wing area, nice thick section and no silly tail feathers to worry about ( I am having same problem you had, with my Impala - operate elevator servo - elevator moves but so does the tailplane a little. So I need to stiffen up the tailplane).

Andy thanks for your info ref the Horten - just getting my head around flying wing wing profiles at the moment with a germinating plan to build a slope BV 215 growing in my head! I have an old RCME plan for a 40inch depron BV215 model that I am looking to adjust from electric pusher to a slope glider.

Regards H

• 5 weeks later...

Well, one of my flying buddies wanted a correx Imp but does not have the time to build so he's had Camo Imp off me which does leave a void in the hanger which is going to be filled by an A10.

I'm going to make a few modifications on this one i.e light ply formers instead of correx and construct fuselage out of 2mm correx to help make it lighter.

Hopefully get it ready for the new year.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil, Good choice, not seen a correx Me109 - what span? Still going to use 2mm for fus?

Question for anyone : Whilst on plans....can anyone recommend a good (reliable) printer of A0 plans from PDF files etc? I know there are a few on the net - just feeling for recommendations really. My printing supplier up until now has recently shutdown!

Regards

Harry

Hi Harry.

It will be the same span as the Mig, approx 1350mm and yes I'm making it out of 2mm correx.

This one is going to be more difficult due to the fact it is not a correx plan, but a conventional built up model plan.

I've started a build blog on Steve's A470Soaring blog.

Edited By Phil May on 26/01/2016 20:54:14

• 3 weeks later...