Which training Tx

chris Bond - Bondaero

Gentlemen,

Wow went out for a day today and lots of replies that I have now been through.

For clarity I will be the instructor and do not really want to use my current high end tx . I am mode 1 and most of the pupils will be mode 2.

Couple of simple supplementary questions if I may.

Does the DX6 supersede the dx6i ?

Is the DX6 DSMX only ? If so how would I buddy to pupil flying DSM 2 ?

Is the DX8 DSM2 or DSMX ?

Advert

Chris, it's always a little bit annoying that the Instructors Tx is the one that has to be bound to the model, so you'll have to bind your Tx to each of your pupils models. On a different model memory each, preferably.

If they have receivers that only do DSM2, then you'll need a DSM2 Tx.

Now, if you and the pupil flew on the same mode, the simple thing would be to leave the Pupil's Tx bound to the model. You would then fly the model with his(hers) Tx, and yours would plug in for the pupil to hold.

Posted by chris Bond - Bondaero on 26/07/2015 20:25:38:

Gentlemen,

Wow went out for a day today and lots of replies that I have now been through.

For clarity I will be the instructor and do not really want to use my current high end tx . I am mode 1 and most of the pupils will be mode 2.

Couple of simple supplementary questions if I may.

Does the DX6 supersede the dx6i ?

Is the DX6 DSMX only ? If so how would I buddy to pupil flying DSM 2 ?

Is the DX8 DSM2 or DSMX ?

Chris, to answer your questions above

- Dx6 is the latest higher end 6 channel Spektrum Tx I suspect all stock now will be DSMx only, Dx6i continues to be sold (theres some pretty good deals on them), if they were imported before the end of 21014 they will be DSM2/DSMx compatible (older 2nd hand ones may be DSM2 only)

- You would probably have to make the trainees Tx the instructors Tx and buddy the Dx6 to the Dx6i with a lead. While the Dx6 has wireless training it will only work with another DSMx tx and as it would be the master Tx the plane would need a DSMx Rx too

- Dx8s imported before end 2014 would be DSMx and DSM2 compatible.

The reason for the above is that the EU regs change Jan 2015 and as DSM2 only used 2 frequencies it was no longer legal to import them (still OK to use and sell any existing stock)

A note about Mode 1. The Spektrum DX6i can easily be converted to Mode 1. I watched the process done in the shop before I bought mine -simple and it's described in a leaflet included with the Tx. Apart from changing the throttle ratchet it's a matter of flicking a switch multiple times at the correct place in the menu. So buy a Mode 2 and convert if it's cheaper or the only available version Probably the same with latest DX6 too, but should be easily available as Mode 1 straight out of the box.

However the latest DX6 is a much better bet for the instructor as it has 250 memories instead of 10 and the wireless buddy system.

Frank said "While the Dx6 has wireless training it will only work with another DSMX tx " are we sure this is correct?  I thought DSMX Rx still worked with DSM2 Tx ( otherwise how will DSM2 Tx owners buy new Rx now? )

and to confirm this is right here is a quote from the online DX6 manual  "  Wireless trainer works just like the wired trainer without the wire.  Select wireless trainer to bind a DSM2 or DSMX slave transmitter to the master transmitter"

Edited By kc on 27/07/2015 10:55:42

• 1 month later...

Hi Stuart,

the answer I'm afraid is "yes and no"! In that some transmitters are capable of buddying with other makes - Taranis being an example. Some "groups of specific makes" will buddy. But in my experience the majority of transmitters will not buddy at all with anything other than the same make.

What are you thinking of trying to buddy?

BEB

Posted by Phil Green on 05/09/2015 15:48:05:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 27/07/2015 08:09:06:

... as DSM2 only used 2 frequencies it was no longer legal to import them

..erm...

Erm indeed

The reason was actually because DSM2 was not compliant with the EU "Listen before talk" protocol regulations for low power ISM transmission - the number of alternate frequencies it uses is not a compliancy issue

Yes but if it doesn't hop then the power output limits are more restricted and if it hops then the following applies.

"The hopping sequence(s) shall contain at least N hopping frequencies where N is 15 or 15 divided by the minimum Hopping Frequency Separation in MHz, whichever is the greater."

So I suppose DSM2 could have been adapted if the channel separation was sufficient and that it also complied with the listen before transmit requirement.