Bird Of Time

Wiltshire Flyer

Advert

Hi Scott, sorry for late reply

I don't know to be honest! I used the motor and speed controller from my newly purchased and dreadful FMS ASK 23

Put a slight bit of down thrust on it and teeny bit of right.

I also extended the bottom of the fues a little to protect the motor on landing.

I Maidened her yesterday and she flew much faster than I thought she would! And she didn't want to come down😯

My only concern is the lack of response on the rudder? She dies turn but it feels delayed and mushy, any ideas??

Ive got a few outrunners from deceased models, Im sure Ill have something suitable.

I had the same mushy rudder issue as you mention, where have you set the c of g? I had mine on the main spar, moved it back a quarter of an inch and it livened it up a good bit.

Your right about the speed, makes for good progress on windy days! When I first started with mine I kept trying to slow it down, which just ruins the glide angle. Nice and fast and it will stay up for ages! One thing to watch is strong lift, give yourself a good safety margin to get out of it as these disappear out of sight quickly( I had a lucky escape!).

Congrats on the maiden though, happy thermal hunting!

Scott.

Love the colour scheme on this one, Scott.

As for your lack of rudder authority, a friend of mine in Auckland, NZ has one of these also electrified and has the same issue with his. His regret is that he didn't add ailerons.

I also have a similar issue with my old 3 meter Graupner Cirrus. Not a problem at altitude, but when getting close to the ground when you want more manoeuvrability I find it wanting.

Grant W.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup! Selling up, just have the bird of time left now to go.

I go through periods like this, I've been in the "bunker" building or restoring for about 4 hours every night and I've become a bit bored now.

So I have bought a PS4 to occupy me through the winter and will probably start in the bunker again in the spring.

If I'm honest I enjoy building more than flying anyway.

Mind you, I think it's priced ok seeing as just the kit was £90 but nobody wants it!

I'm sure someone will come along.

Had to have a good look around the net to find out what we're talking about here (it's for sale on eBay) but in my opinion his price of £150 seems about right, maybe a bit low! Probably around cost price if Wiltshire Flyer used cheap electronics and covering! Definitely far below cost price if we include Wiltshire Flyer's labour or the electronics are even halfway decent.

He is asking for the same price as the ARF bird of time from Great Planes but, in addition, his offering has been converted to a motor glider, comes with radio equipment and a motor and a nice balsa fuselage instead of the unreasonably heavy fibreglass fuselage that comes with the ARF. Wiltshire Flyer's offering also has a unique covering scheme.

This sort of unecessary mithering really is enough to drive good people mad. Certainly, in this case, I'd let the market decide if the fella's got his pricing right.

EDIT: This is to say nothing at all of the potential eBay and paypal fees!

Edited By Simon P on 03/09/2015 08:17:32

Thanks Simon, your thoughts pretty much mirror mine.

I think it's priced a little low as I originally set it as £180, but no bites so I have reduced it to £150, best offer I've had so far is £125.

I don't understand it, why would I let it go for £100 when the kit alone was £90?

Well, I think it's another form of proof for me that I am right in giving it all a break.