Day trip to The Orme

Will be arranging a day trip to LLandudno next week whilst the family is on holiday in Prestatyn and was intending on taking something to fly. However I'm relatively new to slope soaring and never flown from The Orme before so would appreciate any advice.

The predicted wind is SE so looking at Google maps am I right in heading for the Hang glider slope from the big car park at the top? Also are there any do's and don'ts for flying up there?

Additionally to blag a day trip out I will need to entertain the wife & kids before/during/after so will be looking for cafe, gift shopping and sight seeing or something interesting for the kids. Again any suggestions very welcome.

Advert

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to send the family down the hill into town on the tram or cable car if it's operational?

Also meant to say predicted wind is SW, not SE! which is still predicted.

Is there a cafe at the top car park of just the ski center?

Tim, PM sent, Thanks. laugh

Summit itself is not the place to be for our site, I've replied to your PM Chris

SW sees us on the main bowl and access is from another route - Ill join ya if Im free.

Cable car will not operate if windy - as assessed on and during each day. Tram runs in all conditions.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 02/08/2015 15:59:10

What day are you planning to fly, I am away at the moment but might be back in the area, the Orme flies pretty much most wind directions but some are only really suitable for foamies, thankfully the main wind directions are catered for. Check XC Weather before you go and expect it to be more

Flew the Phase 6 yesterday from the top of the tank track car park.
I found it very different from the slopes at home and I suspect it was mostly psychological. The wind was quite strong, almost the strongest I've flown in, and the gusts kept pushing me back from the face. Launching was fun requiring a good grip of the fuselage and a really hefty throw off the edge!
Then there was the psychological barrier of pushing out over the sea! It wasn't really over the sea as there is still a bit of land there but thats definately how it feels!
The combination of trying to stand still, stopping the wing from blowing the tx out of my hands, the almost constant nose down attitude of the glider against the lift or feeling like it was flying out to sea I do t know but after a 15 minute familiarisation flight I was feeling quite tired and stressed so I went for a landing. I flew a tight downwind leg at about 50' back into wind back from the edge, nose down and she wasn't coming forward. She floated in with little turbulance but landed about halfway between the edge and the car park, not quite what I had planned!
2nd flight was longer butthe landind was still short of my intended lz hampered also by a small group of walkers stood behind me watching!
3rd flight was much better and longer and I was getting into aeros a lot more but only tried one loop since the wind blew it back towards the slope quicker than I expected despite passing further out than before! I also found she could roll constantly across the slope or into the wind without any real pitch change which into wind was quite amusing looking like a weird windmill stationary in the air!. The 3rd landing was much better as I started a lot higher so I could dive for longer to make more headway against the wind.

I'll be heading back to the Orme today after 12 when the rest of family go swimming although the wind is forcast to swing more S to SE and it's threatening light rain!
Still managed over an hour flying time yesterday so wont be too dissapointed if I cant fly today, or figure out where to fly from!

Sounds a bit like you need to push out a bit more so the aircraft isn't pushed back as hard. The Orme can produce some mega lift from not very strong winds, but it sounds like you were in the sweet spot for speed vs. comfort - you may have needed some ballast. It also sounds like you landed in pretty much the right place - there is a bit of a rotor the closer to the lip that I have found pushes lighter models around a lot.

Well done for your first flight there though yes It's a lovely place, easy to get to, and has some epic views.

Thanks Andy.
yes I suspected it may have needed some ballast yesterday as it was always trying to gain altitude, even nose down, but was struggling to move forward against the wind. I was flying across the slope to gain distance out if that makes sense?
Today the wind was across the edge I was flying yesterday so I walked towards the summit end and the hang glider slope. Much less wind than yesterday and also lots more people about! One woman told me I couldn't possibly fly that little plane as it'd get blown all over the place and another guy asked if it could get him to Spain!
Was flying nice and smooth with just enoughwind for some rolls and stall turns. Tried a few passes over the LZ to see what it waslike. Side slipped in over the wall then straightened out Into wind to overfly the lz at about 4' back to the slope edge. Lots of fun!

After about 20 minutes I noticed there wasn't as much lift as when I started and the wind didn't seem as strong. A couple of times I was out well beyond the road below hunting for lift to get back above where I was standing. I decided an early landing was less embarrassing than a walk down the hill and as I passed the slope left to right to start a downwindturn I noticed several groups of people walking across the lz behind me so had to turn back out away from the hill! A few minutes of lift hunting later the lz was clear. I made the down wind turn about 10' above the edge to the wall, sideslipped along the wall until it was downwind from me then straightened out towards myself to land I the nice grass. Minutes after switching off it started to rain so coupled with the drop in wind I called it a day.
will be going home tomorrow to get the van ready for Greenacres and with the Orme being over 2 hours away from me it may be some time before I get the opportunity again but it's definately been a good experience with some clean, smooth and strong lift!

Unfortunately I couldn't upload any photos from my phone but now I'm back home (breifly) I can do it on my laptop!

Step 1: Take the family up to the summit and let them complain how windy it is!

20150804_132458.jpg

Then bundle them into the gift shop for some tat shopping then the cafe for pop & cakes (and caffine intake for me) then wave them off on the tram down to Llandudno.

20150804_170501.jpg

Get back in the car & drive around past the graveyard to the slope

20150804_152015.jpg

Put a glider together, try to ignore the walkers waiting to see a crash & throw it off the cliff towards the sea!

20150804_151213.jpg

Fly around for a couple of hours before packing up to greet the lovely family back from their shopping trip!

20150804_170501.jpg

Yeah I know it's the same pic!

Wednesdays flying at the Hang Glider Slope. No family to entertain and to me at least a much friendlier slope with a bit more greenery before that scary sea!

20150805_143918.jpg

Only one flight before the wind dropped & the first rain shower came in. The LZ is also much nicer here too although many more people around watching. Had lots of fun testing the LZ by overflying the wall at the back then a low pass back to the slope.

20150805_143956.jpg

The daysac is with the Phase 6 where she finally landed.

My first visit there and I think my 6th or 7th outing slope soaring, Of the 2 days flying I prefered the first day with lots of wind and with some more weight would probably feel more comfortable pushing out towards the sea more now I know the lift is out there!

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. Now where are these slopes in South wales... laugh